Ben Perry RIP

Bill Sample
Member
Joined: 4:26 AM - Jun 21, 2003

10:50 PM - Nov 16, 2017 #1

Today at work I heard that retired former NH-PC-CR(?)-Amtrak block/signal station operator/dispatcher Ben Perry passed away.  After working many operators positions at various locations on the east end, Ben eventually became a dispatcher in Boston on territory once the NYNH&H.  Ben was well-known in both professional and hobby railroading.  He passed away this morning at a continuing care center in the Providence RI area and will be missed by many. 
Quote
Like
Share

nhrhta
Member
nhrhta
Member
Joined: 4:42 AM - Feb 06, 2003

9:48 AM - Nov 17, 2017 #2

A few years ago I offered to help Ben Perry put a book together about his railroad career, as I did for Dave Peters and Bob Tweedy (see http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-peters/d ... 81566.html and http://www.lulu.com/shop/robert-r-tweed ... 86370.html for details).  He told me that he did not have the time.  Now, of course, its too late.  Time marches on.  The New Haven Railroad has been gone for nearly 50 years.  The youngest NHRR employee is approaching 70 years of age and at some point in the not too distant future there won't be any of them left...

Marc J. Frattasio
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 5:23 PM - Aug 04, 2017

2:20 PM - Nov 17, 2017 #3

Marc:
I was saddened to hear of Ben's passing. I knew him for many years. . .he was a true NYNH&H man.
I hired on the NH in 2/68; I'll be 70 in 2 years. Let's not rush things.
Rick
Quote
Like
Share

Bill Reidy
Member
Joined: 3:22 AM - Jun 01, 2003

4:51 PM - Nov 17, 2017 #4

Very sorry to hear about Ben's passing.  He was a class act.  I was fortunate to know him.
Quote
Like
Share

Statkowski
Member
Joined: 4:39 AM - Mar 05, 2003

5:39 PM - Nov 17, 2017 #5

Richard Abramson wrote: Marc:
I was saddened to hear of Ben's passing. I knew him for many years. . .he was a true NYNH&H man.
I hired on the NH in 2/68; I'll be 70 in 2 years. Let's not rush things.
Rick
I hired on in late 1965.  I just turned 70 on Monday.  Do I know what I'm doing?  I have no idea, I've never been 70 before.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 5:23 PM - Aug 04, 2017

7:10 PM - Nov 17, 2017 #6

Brother Henry:
Looks like you are a move-up. . .
Quote
Like
Share

Statkowski
Member
Joined: 4:39 AM - Mar 05, 2003

7:41 PM - Nov 17, 2017 #7

And all these years later, the first thing a brother did when he heard of someone's passing was to take a look at the seniority roster.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: 5:23 PM - Aug 04, 2017

8:03 PM - Nov 17, 2017 #8

Statkowski wrote: And all these years later, the first thing a brother did when he heard of someone's passing was to take a look at the seniority roster.
Brother Henry:
Some things never change on the RR.
Quote
Like
Share

TomNelligan
Member
Joined: 4:57 AM - Jan 23, 2004

9:59 PM - Nov 17, 2017 #9

I hadn't seen Ben in many years, but the first thing I remembered when I read of his passing was the late night improptu slide shows that he hosted for small groups of friends at some of the towers where he worked in the late 1960s (Attleboro and Davisville, that I remember, maybe there were others). He was a great guy. May he rest in peace.
Quote
Like
Share

Noel Weaver
Member
Joined: 2:23 AM - Feb 18, 2003

2:29 PM - Nov 18, 2017 #10

TomNelligan wrote: I hadn't seen Ben in many years, but the first thing I remembered when I read of his passing was the late night improptu slide shows that he hosted for small groups of friends at some of the towers where he worked in the late 1960s (Attleboro and Davisville, that I remember, maybe there were others). He was a great guy. May he rest in peace.
Like a lot of us Ben Perry loved his job and his work.  We were lucky.  Unlike a few, Ben was good at what he did all the while enjoying doing it.  I knew him for a long time and enjoyed every encounter I ever had with him over the years.  He was a member of Branford and I worked with him there.  I certainly remember him in the towers over east, visited several different ones thanks to him.  He will be greatly missed.  Rest in peace good brother.  We could all write a book and tell some good stories but it will be gone before too much longer.  Lots of good memories that have stayed with us over these years.
Noel Weaver
Quote
Like
Share