Atlas/Kato C425 comments

jftully
jftully

August 1st, 2018, 12:20 am #1

Saw these on ebay and was wondering if anyone already have one(or more) of these engines, and any comments on their running and detailing?  
I noticed a few differences on the from pictures I could find, but wondering if there are others I'm not seeing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Haven-2557 ... 1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Haven-2553 ... 1438.l2649

Thanks for any input
JohnT

Ron High

August 1st, 2018, 12:05 pm #2

These are the Yellow Box Atlas C425s. They run as well as other Atlas engines do. The details are not as correct .The steps around the cab are not quite right,  the horn is not at the center top of the cab over the headlight and the handrails are black instead of yellow. Also the NH did not have the dynamic brakes that are on the top of the long hood.
 A member on this forum had something to do with convincing Atlas to change the step details and perhaps other details.I am sorry I cannot remember who it was,if that persons sees this post perhaps he can tell us more.
The Classic version still has dynamic brakes on the roof ,which could be removed with care. There are bulges on the fuel tanks which can easily be unsnapped and replaced with some black painted sheet styrene.
The end result is the Atlas Classic Series NH C- 425 , I think there have been at least 2 different runs. I have seen them often on EBay although there are none today.

Here is a listing with a photo of the Classic Series version.  I think it is much better done I have several of them.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... c-34843403

Ron High

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

August 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm #3

I think I was the bad boy on this  Venture. I had seen the new Atlas C 424 and was wondering if the new parts would fit the old yellow 425 as I wanted a better New Haven unit. Well I was told that they already made a New haven unit And they didn't know if the new body parts would fit  the yellow box unit ?/ Well heck send me 2 undec 424s I will check.  When they got to me I was real happy I just pulled the NH painted body off and switched it onto the Ph.4 drive I took a couple pictures of the switch and sent them to Atlas and said NOW This is closer to a New Haven unit. All you need to do now is get horizontal head light on the cab and loose the Dynamic brakes and  the battery boxes are now in the right place. A real good match will be made. Well about a year & a half later WE have a close unit. Still has the dynamic brakes but they have done others with and with out dynamic so we can hope.
  I still have the 2  424s I got 1 with a Hew Haven body on it. Maybe 1 day I will finish it.
  Removing the Dynamic brake isn't that big a deal Tape around it file it off and fill 2 of the 3 vents on each side.
Jim Evans 

Ron High

August 11th, 2018, 11:04 am #4

Thanks Jim for providing the story behind the Atlas Classic series. These are a much better version of this engine than the old Yelllow box version. I do see them on Ebay on occasion.

Here is a list of the engines from Atlas archives
10 000 706 New Haven (Black/White/Red) 2551
10 000 707 New Haven (Black/White/Red) 2555
10 000 708 New Haven (Black/White/Red) 2558

9390 New Haven (Black/Orange/White) 2550
9391 New Haven (Black/Orange/White) 2554
9392 New Haven (Black/Orange/White) 2559
  2558.jpg 2554.jpg
You can see the dynamic brake housing on the top of the long hood . It should be easy  enough to remove. The only other issue is the fuel tank bulges . These are snap on that can easily be removed a piece of sheet styrene place to cover the sides of the tanks paint them black and a new fuel filler spout. I cannot think of anything else except to place MU hoses on the pilots.
These are a very nice running engine that will mix well with the Bowser U25B.
Ron High

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

August 12th, 2018, 6:35 pm #5

Only 2 thing's left to remove the roof  material I use electric tape around it to cover the detail I want to keep then file it off carefully . Others cut it out and replace it. Then fill the 2 side vents. If you want to add a fuel fill Bowser makes them for the  C628, C630 and others.
  The parts can be had from Atlas from time to time The Cab & sill would be all that is needed to fix the yellow box units With my spare parts I now have I can make 11 units ?? LOL
I got 4 of the new ones and have 4 or 5 yellow boxes plus the 2 C 424s May  paint them PRR for ( pool ) power

jkasey
jkasey

August 12th, 2018, 7:23 pm #6

Don't forget to add those snow shields boys!

nh2553dsa.jpg
John

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

August 12th, 2018, 7:25 pm #7

And the little horn on the back of the cab those  snow shield's can be had at Bowser as well
 Jim

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

August 13th, 2018, 10:01 am #8

Other units also had the Snow Shield's as well The 4 C 628 Demo units had them and the small horn on the back of the cab. They were the only SP units to be set up that way. After they got & painted them in SP  They could be spotted  just by the covers that no other unit's had.
 Jim

jkasey
jkasey

August 13th, 2018, 10:05 am #9

But wait! There's more! Add jewels for the classifications lights above the windshield! Colors are, starting from the outside towards the center, clear, green, red.

John