rivermanvt

8:54 AM - Oct 01, 2018 #11

I realize that Athearn did one road number some time ago, Ed, and they are scarce as hen's teeth. If I'm 
not mistaken the newer runs are a bit better. Thus it would be nice to see them rerun with at least two
road numbers and current standards, perhaps even with sound added. Hard to beat the Atlas drive, 
I realize, but the Atlas body shell is a dead duck when any other make RS-3 is present.

Cordially, Don Valentine

rsullivan

10:03 AM - Oct 01, 2018 #12

Regarding what is good and what needs work on the Atlas, MDC/Athrean, and Stewart models of the DERS-2c (RS-3) and modeling the New Haven is covered nicely in Mr. Bill Dulmaine's "Which HO RS-3 To Choose" in Shoreliner, vol 17, iss 1. Quick rundown is the MDC/Athrean has the best body as far as conforming to the New Haven's RS-3. The Atlas body was too short by 6" on the long hood and 3" on the short hood (correct body length for the RS-2s), the louvers are also the incorrect size. The Stewart was too rounded on top and missing the vents on top of the long hood.
    Now, I don't know if Atlas retooled and made the body length correct, but we do know they kept the twin sealed beam headlights. Just wanted to bring up a great comparison from the past.
Richard #3967

TomCurtin

3:12 PM - Oct 01, 2018 #13

A couple of comments from this O scale modeler who owns a couple of O scale Atlas RS-3s.....
The twin sealed beam headlight is only correct for a "type 2" or "type 3" rebuild which has to be painted in the rebuild color
scheme.  Now, if you want to do a type 3 rebuild you have to remove some stuff, principally the water tanks which I assume are  cast onto the underbody (They are on the Atlas O scale model) and the steam generator exhaust on the short hood.

Don't forget that the end railings are very different on the units numbered 537-561.  This is true regardless of whether it's a non-rebuild or a rebuild --- the rebuild process didn't change the end railings.

Another comment, this one regarding Pullman green: Badger modelflex makes a "New Haven Pullman Green" (it's acrylic).  I have not checked how authentic it is, but this is what it's called, and it's available.

jkasey
jkasey

9:18 AM - Oct 02, 2018 #14

The main difference between the end railings of the two orders can be seen below. The first order didn't have drop steps & the second order did. As usual, there are exceptions to every rule as evidenced by the photo of the 521. Also different between the two orders on the delivery scheme was the lettering on the long hood. Subtle things that can drive one nuts!

John RS-3 535.jpg RS-3 559.jpg NH RS-3 521.jpg NH RS-3 521.jpg

rghammill

12:15 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #15

Athearn did do the NH RS-3. The delivery scheme also has the correct water cooled stack. The pilot is also a better match for the NH. Don’t know when they last ran them though. I have both delivery scheme numbers and at least 4 of the index models to do in the second delivery scheme.

If Bowser chooses to do the NH as part of their RS-3 project, I might replace them if they do them as well as their announcements for other roads looked.

Randy

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com
rivermanvt wrote: Say fellows, Can't someone other than Atlas with their grossly incorrect body molding be convinced to do a New Haven RS-3?
                    I'd even take and Athearn/Roundhouse model and modify the drive train just to have their much improved carbody.

Just my two bits worth, Don Valentine