Alco road switcher

August 27th, 2003, 9:58 am #1

I forgot I had this. About six months ago I picked up an HO kit from Hobbytown of Boston, the price was right. Anyway the RS-3 that is in the box needs alot of work, it looks like someone tried to paint it with a broom. It is unpowered, and in kit form, but has trucks.
What makes this interesting, is that the box has the painting by Howard Fogg, of the three New Haven RS-2s
on a freight. And the price on the box is $1.29
I have no directions for it but it is pretty simple to figure out how it goes together
Does anyone have any more information about this kit, like how many were made,anr when they were made
I figure that the box is worth more than the contents. Just like the old Matchbox cars box, or original
Lionel boxes

Tom Curtin

August 27th, 2003, 1:23 pm #2

Is it a metal kit or a plastic kit?

August 27th, 2003, 1:49 pm #3

It is plastic all the way
Bill

Rick Abramson

August 27th, 2003, 2:29 pm #4

I have the same kit. It was sold as an unpowered model. The box art is the Fogg/Alco painting of RS-2s on the Berkshire near Kent.

Tom Curtin

August 27th, 2003, 2:43 pm #5

Hobbytown produced this way back in the 50s!! You purchased a powering kit separately. I owned the plastic kit once but not the powering kit.
I do not know how long this was made, before Hobbytown went over to all-zamac metal kits.
Interstingly, the model is an RS-3, but the Fogg painting is of RS-2's!

Statkowski

August 27th, 2003, 5:42 pm #6

Hobbytown of Boston started out in Beantown, moved to Florida, and was bought out by Bear Locomotive Company in New Jersey. Hobbytown kits are still available. So, you can still get a power kit for your plastic model, maybe.
bearlocomo.zoovy.com/

Ron High

August 27th, 2003, 6:08 pm #7

I have a number of Hobbytown RS3 kits , all metal two older drives no flywheel and a number of the later flywheel drives. I think they are great engines and the flywheel drives are great runners. They are a great a looking RS3 except for the end handrails a very heavy not to scale rail ,cut them off.In front of the battery box is a small box that represents a small step cut it off and use a brass angle.The currently drives are the late flywheel version I doubt they would fit the plastic body.
The is a gentleman by the name of Roger Borden who I see around different hobby shops in central Mass. Way back in his younger days he worked with the man who started Hobbytown John Chappa not sure of this spelling . When I see Roger again I will ask for details on the plastic version.

dogsboss

August 28th, 2003, 2:27 pm #8

I've got one of those metal RS-3's, waiting for a power chassis. It looks really excellent in its orange & green. IMHO, the hobbytown stuff got the look & feel of those Alco's (esp. the PA-1), better than the current plastic offerings. Put a Hobbytown PA next to a P2K and an Athearn (PA's),- and look at the three of them head on. I've modified a few Athearns & painted them, & have a P2K geen & gold as well as a Hobbytown PA-1.(painted Gr&Go NH). The Hobbytown is my oldest (early 60's) running loco, and w/ Athearn universal joints & its original DC-90(?) motor, runs as well as any of the others & will pull like crazy.

Ron High

August 29th, 2003, 10:07 am #9

I have 3 of the PA1`s and some of the universal geeps with athearn gp9 bodies. The RS3s and PA1 bodies are are a welldone versions that look right. All the different drives run well even though they are old 1960`s technology.The yard switcher chassis also run well have one those with an Athearn SW1500? and flexicoil sideframes.

August 30th, 2003, 2:48 am #10

I remember assembling my RS-3. Seems like I took it apart 50 times to file a little here and there, but when it was done, it hauled 86 cars on the flat on the Oahu Model Railroad Society's modular layout. I wonder if any current engine could handle that many cars?