accu paint, George Bishop

TOM JOHNSTON

1:07 AM - Dec 18, 2007 #1

Is SMP totally out of business? Website is gone.

eshoben

4:28 AM - Dec 18, 2007 #2

Actually, supply of accu-paint seems to be better than usual. George Bishop seems to produce paint every couple of years and then nothing for quite a while. Walthers has more colors than usual, and several paints are labeled as "expected" shortly after the New Year. I gave up on them some time ago and use Badger's Modelflex which is almost always available and is far less toxic.

ss122
ss122

11:50 AM - Dec 18, 2007 #3

Okay, I know this has probably been gone into before, but what Badger Modelflex paints are the best matches for various NH models? Things I hope to be painting soon include; AF coaches, PBM and green (not hunter green), Stainless 8600 coaches w orange window band, FL9 (I believe there were two different oranges/reds used, NE 5 Caboose, Turtle roof baggage, 60' RPO (1 Green, 1 PBM) and Mail Storage cars.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Ken

4:29 PM - Dec 18, 2007 #4

I've heard that the Nashua Valley (Bolton, MA) railroad club that was in George Bishop's basement is kaput, with the members joining the Pepperall Siding, Worcester, and North Shore Model Railroad Clubs.
The rumor is that they had to break up because George Bishop may be in a little trouble with the supposed non-payment of gov't fees, and that apparently one level of gov't or another has been rumored to have apparently siezed all property owned by one George Bishop...including the assets of the club, the house, plus Accu-paint and Accu-cals.
Be advised this is all secondhand info and may not be correct...but I have heard that the Bolton club has broken up from several sources.

eshoben

4:45 PM - Dec 18, 2007 #5

Modelflex has the following colors that are specific to the New Haven.
165-16177&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Modelflex Paint -- NH Hunter Green &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3.60&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Y &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

165-16178&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Modelflex Paint -- New Haven Warm Orange &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3.60&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Y &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

165-16179&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Modelflex Paint -- New Haven Imitation Silver &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3.60&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Y &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

165-16180&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Modelflex Paint -- New Haven Pullman Green &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3.60&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Y &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

165-16181&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Modelflex Paint -- New Haven Imitation Gold &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3.60&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Y &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

165-16182&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Modelflex Paint -- New Haven Red-Orange &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3.60&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Y &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

165-16183&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Modelflex Paint -- New Haven Socony Red &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp A&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3.60&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Y &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

The numbers above are the Walthers number; The "A" is for all scales and the "Y" means that Walthers has it in stock.
They also make Engine Black and Reefer White. About the only thing missing for the NH modeler is 401 Green. GN Green is not a bad substitute.
Ed

ss122
ss122

10:29 PM - Dec 18, 2007 #6

Thanks, Ed. I've printed a copy of your answer for my files, so when I get down to painting sometime in the next decade, I won't have to ask again. Ken

jonpd
jonpd

12:05 PM - Dec 19, 2007 #7

According to one member that I spoke to at the Hub Show the Nashua Valley club is leasing a space in Shirley MA (2 shaker road) where they plan to build a new layout.
This is confirmed by their web site:
www.nvrra.org/
Jon

newhaven48

12:50 PM - Dec 19, 2007 #8

As you stated in your post the information was second hand and was not verified. As the thread here is about SMP and not the club, the information about George Bishop having some kind of trouble is true but not as stated in your post. As for the club, it is and always has been independent from either SMP or George Bishop. The only connection was that they rented space in the building so they could put the layout on the main floor not the basement. The basement was where a large part of SMP was located. As for the future of the club, I agree with Jonpd:rolleyes that the best thing to do is to check the club's web site or go to a meeting
Al Jones---former member of the club

10:44 PM - Dec 19, 2007 #9

Well, one of my sources is a long time member of the North Shore Club who I've known for a few years. Perhaps he wasn't told the whole truth? But then that's why I tried to couch my words in enough qualifiers to show that it's definitely not straight from the horse's mouth.
As for not checking their website...that kind of info isn't usually posted on a club website so I didn't even bother to look. For example, when my club moved, about the only thing we did on our website was change the mailing address and, eventually, update the "history" section. Our current events are usually kept to ourselves via our e-mail list.