AAR Designation

michael78651

June 16th, 2018, 1:27 am #1

What is the AAR designation for a passenger coach that was converted into a crew car for use on express mail/express freight trains?

Thanks!

Statkowski

June 16th, 2018, 7:51 am #2

Good question.  Luckily, our New Haven Railroad didn't have such things, although the New York Central did.  The New Haven had passenger-equipped hacks, still AAR designation "NE" the same as any other caboose, as did the Pennsylvania Railroad.  If they needed a passenger coach, they just borrowed one and returned it to the pool when they were done.

A quick browse through my 1961 Car Builders' Cyclopedia yielded nothing.

Thinking about it, since such a conversion would remove it from the passenger car rosters, I suppose now it could be considered the same as a caboose.  A specialized caboose, but a caboose nonetheless.

jkasey
jkasey

June 16th, 2018, 9:31 am #3

Gents,

Try the website listed below.

www.opsig.org/pdf/AARPassengerCarCodes

John

jkasey
jkasey

June 16th, 2018, 9:34 am #4

The above link didn't work. Sorry

Try "AAR Passenger car designations" on Google & it should get you there. You'll be able to download a nice PDF file.

John

Statkowski

June 16th, 2018, 10:16 am #5

One can find a number of AAR Car Code listings from assorted years using one's search engine, Google or otherwise.  What does not appear to be found, however, is a special car code for mail & express crew cars.

I'd say the New York Central, the Pennsylvania and the New Haven were the three biggest mail & express operators in the country, yet only one of them used dedicated crew cars.

Both Monon and Nickle Plate Road had specially-built rider cars to comply with Indiana's Full Crew Law.  The Monon, at least, was kind enough to refer to these as head-end cabooses.

June 17th, 2018, 6:45 pm #6

The AAR designation was PSA. A passenger car used for train service employees.

Statkowski

June 17th, 2018, 8:21 pm #7

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Car code meanings occasionally changed over time, with an alphanumeric designator apparently now being used.

The 1961 Car Builders' Cyclopedia shows the following for car code "PSA":  "Dormitory Car.  A car for passenger train service equipped with sleeping and toilet facilities for train employees."

Try as I might, I really can't visualize well-worn coach seats qualifying as sleeping facilities.

Thankfully, the New Haven depended on passenger-equipped NE-2 and NE-6 cabooses for its mail & express service.