NHJJ4
NHJJ4

June 4th, 2016, 8:32 pm #21

Does that mean I need to get rid of the 3 P2K FB 2s I have ?? Or just keep them ( as like there owner )( Dummies ) But I don't need a 4 unit powered train
But then ( Will they play nicely with others ? )
DCC they can be made to run well together But then there last offering run's a bit slow ? in DCC
There offering of the PRR unit is a bit off The coupler cover on the unit is/ has the wrong shape Should be almost like a New Haven PA. The one they made looks like a P 2 K cover. They also forgot the Windshield washers ?? But that is PRR and not New Haven ( Was looking to buy a few covers )

Jim

June 5th, 2016, 9:18 am #22

Jim,
I wouldn't mind a 60 mph top speed for a freight unit like the FB-2. On the FL9...not so much; and again, that's because of my club's scheduled 79mph passenger runs on the timetable. On most home layouts, 60 is plenty for passenger trains. But when a layout has a mainline that is projected to be over 1000 feet long when it's done (about 17 scale miles) and you're running a schedule with a 6:1 fast clock, top speed matters.

Statkowski

June 5th, 2016, 9:57 am #23

Paul Cutler III wrote:
But when .... you're running a schedule with a 6:1 fast clock, top speed matters.
But if you're simulating the New Haven in the 1960s, stuff happens, you've got underpowered/overloaded FL9s, and getting over the road is what matters.  So, the next train has to run on your yellows.
GO NEW HAVEN (Better late than never).
Last edited by Statkowski on June 5th, 2016, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NHJJ4
NHJJ4

June 5th, 2016, 2:13 pm #24

We all know bout the fast clock line of thinking BUT has anybody figured out why they are slow ?? A lot of Loc unit's are slower than the others ?
That is one reason I get DC units If I need to gut light boards and re work them it is a lot easier . And at times loc sound don't play well with others.
Most my sound is Sound traxx and 2 QSI in Train Masters But the Demo only run together if need be.
Maybe down the road I may add WOW to try but the new Tsunami 2 sound ? maybe after they get the bug's worked out.
We only had 5 of the FB 2s and I have 3 already bought & paid for Just waiting on which paint job ?? and 2 A B A sets of P2K plus 3 sets of Walthers cheap ones.
Think my FA fleet is a bout done
Jim

June 5th, 2016, 9:49 pm #25

Henry,
I wish I was simulating the NH. Instead, we're a club layout that's not 100% based on reality, just in general on the Northeast/New England scene in the "transition era". That covers a lot of territory, but it's not exactly the NH in the 1960's (much as I might like it to be).

Jim,
The FL9's are hardly unique. I have a number of brass locos that are much worse and are pitifully slow on DCC. For example, my brass Key Imports R-1 top speed is about 38 mph because the track voltage is about 14 volts, with the motor only getting about 12v. On DC layouts, you could crank out 19 volts easy if you had the right power supply. At that voltage, the Key R-1 runs fine with the 12v Mashima can it comes with. Also, a friend sold off all his brass F40PH's because they were too slow...same goes for the Kato F40PH's. The club had Athearn FP45's with Holland can motors installed. When we put in decoders, they couldn't get out of their own way. I had to repower them with Mashima cans.

Meanwhile, my NJ/CB L-1 can easily do 70 mph, which is kinda scary with a 2-10-2. It is almost as fast as my I-5's (which do 80mph).

ThomasDerwin

September 14th, 2018, 5:01 pm #26

Rapido has extended the deadline for FB-2 pre-orders to February 11, 2019, per their website.