Crowd Reports

Look here for everything regarding box office, including predictions and news.

Crowd Reports

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

25 Oct 2004, 01:04 #1

Just for those curious, this thread is in the Box Office Forum because of the fact that it is a good indicator of how well a movie does on its opening day. Here are mine for this weekend, even though it is a bit late.

THE GRUDGE
Regal Hamburg Pavilion 16 @ 4:20pm
Friday, October 22nd
60% full

Crowd really enjoyed it. There were even some screams!

SURVIVING CHRISTMAS
Regal Hamburg Pavilion 16 @ 2:30pm
Friday, October 22nd
5% full

The "crowd" (10 or so people) enjoyed it. There were a lot of laughs!

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

25 Oct 2004, 02:46 #2

THE GRUDGE (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 100%.

Trailers -- HIDE & SEEK, BOOGEYMAN, ALFIE, and AFTER THE SUNSET.

Crowd Reaction -- Mixed. Many loved it and screamed, but others laughed and booed at the end.

SURVIVING CHRISTMAS (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 2%.

Trailers -- THE RING 2, OCEAN'S TWELVE (Teaser), and FAT ALBERT.

Crowd Reaction -- I do not know, as my guest and I were the only in the audience at Saturday's 10:10 PM show.

I HEART HUCKABEES (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 90%.

Trailers -- OCEAN'S TWELVE (Final Trailer), KINSEY, FINDING NEVERLAND, and SIDEWAYS.

Crowd Reaction -- Wonderful. Applause at the conslusion and gallons of laughs throughout! :D :D :D

NoLogo
Movie Maniac
NoLogo
Movie Maniac

28 Oct 2004, 00:47 #3

Thursday October 21st

The Motorcycle Diaries
-95% full. Fantastic especially for a weeknight
Trailers: Vera Drake, Head In The Clouds
Reaction: Lots of laughter at the comedic bits, applause at the films conclusion. A very good film!!!

Sunday October 24th

The Grudge
-75% full
Trailers: Boogeyman, Seed Of Chucky, Hide and Seek, Alfie
Reaction: Tons of screams, tons of people making fun of it. Lots of loud obnoxious people in the audience which is normal for this type of movie. Also a ton of loud cursing as a reaction to the scares. Was quite a fun movie going experience, while the movie was rather silly!
FYC:

Best Picture, Best Director - Jonathan Demme, Best Original Screenplay - Jenny Lumet, Best Actress - Anne Hathaway, Best Supporting Actress - Rosemarie DeWitt, Best Supporting Actress - Debra Winger, Best Supporting Actor - Bill Irwin, and Best Editing.

Sad man
Forum Leader
Sad man
Forum Leader

31 Oct 2004, 10:52 #4

Movie: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Theater Crowd: 10%
Trailers: Cellular, Alexander, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Batman, The Crimson Rivers 2
Crowd Reaction: Mixed. The adults seemed to hate it but the teenagers laughed a lot during the movie and they seemed happy when it ended.

Movie: The Notebook
Theater Crowd: 40%
Trailers: Shall We Dance?, Cellular, Alexander
Crowd Reaction: All old people except me. They loved it. I could hear the old ladies talking through the movie trying to predict what would happen. It was sweet at first but then annoying so I kept yelling "Shhh!" at them. LOL.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

31 Oct 2004, 16:59 #5

SAW (2004)

Trailers -- THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, SEED OF CHUCKY, HIDE & SEEK, THE RING 2, WHITE NOISE, and HAUTE TENSION.

Crowd Reaction -- Very positive. Applause during the tense moments and a wave of cheers at the end.

BIRTH (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 35%.

Trailers -- THE SEA INSIDE, BEYOND THE SEA, AFTER THE SUNSET, and BRIDGET JONES: THE EDGE OF REASON.

Crowd Reaction -- Subdued. There was not an uproar of cheers or boos at the end. The all-adult audience simply rose from their chairs and left.

FINDING NEVERLAND (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 90%.

Trailers -- BRIDE & PREJUDICE.

Crowd Reaction -- Amazing. Applause throughout, multiple sessions of extreme laughter, and a general feeling of happiness walking out.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

06 Nov 2004, 06:03 #6

ALFIE (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 65%.

Trailers -- LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS, COACH CARTER, SPANGLISH, ALEXANDER, and IN GOOD COMPANY.

Crowd Reaction -- Solid. Laughs throughout and moderate applause at the end.

Mike
Forum Leader
Mike
Forum Leader

06 Nov 2004, 06:12 #7

What the hell kind of theater do you go to where people clap at almost every movie? :huh: :P I never see that around here, only very rarely, like at Freddy vs. Jason, and that was on opening weekend in a sold out theater and only a handful of people started clapping at the end.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

06 Nov 2004, 06:32 #8

At my theatre, people usually always clap at the end of comedy, horror, musical, and science fiction films, unless there are only senior citizens primarily or a very small audience..

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

06 Nov 2004, 06:45 #9

Gun, when I lived in that area I was at that theater almost every weekend, and I don't remember much clapping at all, except for big event films such as HARRY POTTER or LORD OF THE RINGS...

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

06 Nov 2004, 06:48 #10

The most clapping I've heard is at FAHRENHEIT 9/11, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING. Usually the applause is from small groups here and there throughout the theatre..

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

06 Nov 2004, 06:49 #11

Usually it was just during family-friendly films for me. Never anything more than that.

Cyclonus
Movie Maniac
Cyclonus
Movie Maniac

06 Nov 2004, 08:00 #12

The theater was sure packed tonight. I waited till the last minute to see home, and when I got there I ended up having to wait in line for a bit, which worried me because I was running late to see Saw as it was. I ran into the auditorium just in time, and just about every seat was filled. As for the movie itself, anyone else notice how people tend to laugh at it during certain parts? What's odd is I can't quite place my finger on whether or not the director wanted it to be seen that way. I personally felt a bit "off" during the screening because of my worked up state, but I feel comfortable saying that my comments in the "which films did you watch today" thread accurate reflect my objective view of the film. I plan to watch it again in the cheap theater, so don't rag on me. After it was over, I overheard someone say "it was alright." In the bathroom washing up, I heard someone say, "it sucks, I hated it," but they could easily have been talking about any other movie that let out around the same time. Given that the film is pretty much just for horror fans, I wouldn't be surprised though. I think it will become a cult classic.

Sad man
Forum Leader
Sad man
Forum Leader

07 Nov 2004, 01:58 #13

People almost never applaud here. The most applauded films I've seen were BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE, LORD OF THE RINGS and HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH.

PIECES OF APRIL

Theatre Capacity: 4 people...
Trailers: Constantine, The Polar Express, The Incredibles
Crowd Reaction: Excellent. I loved it, my friend loved it. And the other two ladies in the theater loved it also. They were talking to each other saying how lovely the film was.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

07 Nov 2004, 03:55 #14

THE POLAR EXPRESS (2004)

Trailers -- RACING STRIPES.

Crowd Reaction -- Magical. Children and adults alike were laughing and applauding throughout the film. This reaction strongly reminded me of crowd reactions in FINDING NEMO and THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING. Pure joy.

AFTER THE SUNSET (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 85%.

Trailers -- MONSTER-IN-LAW.

Crowd Reaction -- Moderate. Laughs throughout, but when the credits began to roll, the audience seemed pleased, but not overly joyous. Similar to crowds reactions in screenings of STARSKY & HUTCH and CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND.

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

07 Nov 2004, 05:28 #15

RAISE YOUR VOICE
Cinemark Man O' War 8 @ 4:10pm
Saturday, November 6th
2% full

The two other people in the theater besides me and my friend seemed to enjoy it. I personally loved it.

SAW
Cinemark Woodhill Movies 10 @ 7:40pm
Saturday, November 6th
90% full

Crowd seemed mixed about it. There was some laughter in the trike sequence, but at the end of the film it was dead silent.

Watur2Funk
Posts 0
Watur2Funk

07 Nov 2004, 06:35 #16

THE POLAR EXPRESS - (8.5/10)

70% FULL

Haha, the film started 40 minutes late, I've never seen so many technical dificulties in one movie, and we got free parking validation and a free ticket for the next time we come to the thatre.

Trailers: Racing Stripes, Madagascar and POOH'S HUFFALHUMP MOVIE - funnniest thing ever, it played upside down and backwards so uit sounded really satanic and the whole theatre laughe dtehir asses off, omg it was the funniest thing in the world.

The little kids liked it, I heard a little girl say she like it better that The Grinch, which is good I guess but the thing that got me wa sthe applauise at the end. The whole theatre erupted in clapping, more than I usally see, yes, people clap alot but this was long, more than the incredibles got. But yeah the thaeatre seemed to enjoy it.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

08 Nov 2004, 04:17 #17

THE INCREDIBLES (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 65%.

Trailers -- LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS, CARS, CHICKEN LITTLE, STAR WARS: REVENGE OF THE SITH, and NATIONAL TREASURE.

Crowd Reaction -- Solid. Applause at times and large laughs during the film, but nowhere close to the reactions seen during screenings of THE POLAR EXPRESS and Pixar's own FINDING NEMO.

NoLogo
Movie Maniac
NoLogo
Movie Maniac

08 Nov 2004, 04:48 #18

Its odd that Alfie did so poorly this weekend at the Box Office because judging from the showing I went to I could have sworn it would have pulled in at least $4 million on Friday.

Alfie
Friday November 5th, 9:40 PM

90% full
I missed the trailers thanks to the huge ass line-up of patrons......Alfie, The Grudge, Saw, The Incredibles, I Heart Huckabees, Shall We Dance? and Ray were all selling tons of tickets!!! The theatre was jammed pack with people!

- The audience seemed to really dig the film. Alot of laughter, a surprising amount of sobbing at its finale. Was a crowd pleaser of sorts if you ask me! I dug it...B+
FYC:

Best Picture, Best Director - Jonathan Demme, Best Original Screenplay - Jenny Lumet, Best Actress - Anne Hathaway, Best Supporting Actress - Rosemarie DeWitt, Best Supporting Actress - Debra Winger, Best Supporting Actor - Bill Irwin, and Best Editing.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

12 Nov 2004, 00:32 #19

RAY (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 45%.

Trailers -- MEET THE FOCKERS, BRIDGET JONES: THE EDGE OF REASON, CLOSER, THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU, and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX.

Crowd Reaction -- Very nice. Laughs at the appropriate moments, tears during the film's sad sequences, and applause during the musical moments. A very nice and pleasing reaction, especially for a 150+ minute drama.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

13 Nov 2004, 01:01 #20

SEED OF CHUCKY (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 75%.

Trailers -- THE RING 2, UNLEASHED, ASSAULT ON PRECINT 13, BOOGEYMAN, and WHITE NOISE.

Crowd Reaction -- Very solid. Laughs throughout, scattered screams, and a mild applause at the end.

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

14 Nov 2004, 02:43 #21

THE INCREDIBLES

SOLD OUT showing - 100% full

1:20pm
Cinemark Lexington Green 8

Trailers - MEET THE FOCKERS, MADAGASCAR, CARS, CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS, THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MOVIE, LEMONY SNICKET & A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS, RACING STRIPES

Reaction: GREAT. One of the best reactions to a film I have seen in quite a while. There was a lot of laughter throughout the film and a lot of applause at the end.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

15 Nov 2004, 02:59 #22

BRIDGET JONES: THE EDGE OF REASON (2004)

Trailers -- MEET THE FOCKERS, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, BEYOND THE SEA, SPANGLISH, THE AVIATOR, and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX.

Crowd Reaction -- Excellent. Laughs throughout and moderate applause at the end. Very, very nice.

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

15 Nov 2004, 03:04 #23

SEED OF CHUCKY

25% full
5:30pm
Cinemark Woodhill Movies 10

Trailers: THE RING 2, WHITE NOISE, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, UNLEASHED

Crowd Reaction: A lot of laughs and screams throughout.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

15 Nov 2004, 03:37 #24

SEED OF CHUCKY has wonderful trailers. Rogue Pictures' next two films (ASSAULT ON PRECINT 13, UNLEASHED) look great, especially UNLEASHED, which has an awesome, yet disturbed premise.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

20 Nov 2004, 03:03 #25

NATIONAL TREASURE (2004)

Trailers -- THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, OCEAN'S TWELVE, and CHICKEN LITTLE.

Crowd Reaction -- Wonderful. Laughs throughout, applause during action sequences, and a moderate applause at the end.

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

20 Nov 2004, 03:15 #26

BRIDGET JONES: THE EDGE OF REASON

5:00pm at the Kentucky Theater in Lexington, KY

75% full

Trailers: Being Julia, Sideways, Meet The Fockers

Crowd Reaction: Excellent. Laughs all the way through and lots of chatter at the end. I loved it and gave it a 9/10 (A). One of the best films of the year.

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

21 Nov 2004, 01:47 #27

THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MOVIE

2:50pm at Regal Hamburg Pavilion 16
100% full - SOLD OUT

Trailers: LEMONY SNICKET, MADAGASCAR (I missed the others since I was a little late)

Reaction: Wonderful. Audience was LOVING it, and the appeal of the film was very widespread. I saw everyone of all age groups in that theater laughing at every minute of it.

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

21 Nov 2004, 01:50 #28

THE POLAR EXPRESS

4:35pm at Regal Hamburg Pavilion 16
100% full - SOLD OUT

Trailers: Racing Stripes, Son Of The Mask, Lemony Snicket, Pooh's Heffalump Movie

Reaction: Great reaction. The audience was so into it that when the film broke midway for about one minute there were boos. There was some applause near the end and everyone seemed to be loving it.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

21 Nov 2004, 01:51 #29

Thom, I am suprised you did not see FINDING NEVERLAND tonight..

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

21 Nov 2004, 01:51 #30

Just to post some statistics that I paid attention to both going to and from the theater.

Movies that SOLD OUT:

CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (Sneak Preview)
THE POLAR EXPRESS (4 shows)
SPONGEBOB (5 shows)
THE INCREDIBLES (2 shows)
BRIDGET JONES (1 show)

Movies that were selling well:

FINDING NEVERLAND (Sneak Preview)
NATIONAL TREASURE

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

21 Nov 2004, 23:01 #31

FINDING NEVERLAND

4:00pm at Cinemark Woodhill Movies 10
95% full

Trailers: NONE

Crowd Reaction: Let me just say that this was one of the best crowd reactions I have ever seen in a movie theater. The audience laughed when appropriate and the entire audience began to clap in the "believe in fairies" sequence. By the end, all I could hear were sniffles and I don't think anyone left the theater who wasn't crying. The movie got a large amount of applause at the end as well.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

25 Nov 2004, 04:32 #32

SIDEWAYS (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 80%.

Trailers -- KINSEY, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, OCEAN'S TWELVE, and THE AVIATOR.

Crowd Reaction -- Laughs throughout and a polite applause at the end.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

25 Nov 2004, 04:34 #33

ALEXANDER (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 95%.

Trailers -- THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, OCEAN'S TWELVE, BLADE: TRINITY, and THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU.

Crowd Reaction -- Applause throughout and cries near the end. Moderate applause at the end, with a few teenagers booing.

Horror Whore
Movie Maniac
Horror Whore
Movie Maniac

25 Nov 2004, 04:35 #34

Gunslinger @ Nov 24 2004, 11:32 PM wrote: and a polite applause at the end.
As opposed to an angry applause?

"Damn this movie sucked, but I'm still clapping! BOOOOO!"

;)

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

25 Nov 2004, 04:39 #35

It was a nice applause. I did not mean "polite" by "This film sucked, but I'll be nice." :P I meant "A quiet, but solid, applause."

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

25 Nov 2004, 05:01 #36

Today:

THE INCREDIBLES
40% full
Cinemark Woodhill Movies 10 at 3:45pm

Missed the trailers

Crowd Reaction: Great once again. This movie is a real crowd pleaser.

----

ALFIE
10% full
Cinemark Man O'War Movies 8

Trailers: LEMONY SNICKET, MEET THE FOCKERS, OCEAN'S TWELVE, CLOSER

Crowd Reaction: Decent. Some laughs throughout.

------------

Sell-outs at my theaters:

CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (3 shows)
ALEXANDER (2 shows)
THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MOVIE (2 shows)
NATIONAL TREASURE (1 show)
BRIDGET JONES (1 show)
THE POLAR EXPRESS (1 show)

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

26 Nov 2004, 07:20 #37

CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)

Theatre Capacity -- 75%.

Trailers -- MAN OF THE HOUSE, ARE WE THERE YET?, and FINDING NEVERLAND.

Crowd Reaction -- Very nice. Laughs throughout and a moderate applause at the very end.

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

15 Jan 2005, 01:06 #38

Today:

ELEKTRA
5:35pm at Cinemark Lexington Green 8
70% full

Trailers: ICE PRINCESS, FANTASTIC FOUR, MR. AND MRS. SMITH, SON OF THE MASK

Crowd reaction: Great. A lot of chatter and discussion throughout. They all seemed interested.

-------

I think RACING STRIPES is going to surprise a lot of people this weekend. It sold out a 5:40pm showing and tons of little kids were in the theater lobby when I left.

Gunslinger
Forum Leader
Gunslinger
Forum Leader

15 Jan 2005, 01:22 #39

How's the FANTASTIC FOUR trailer? I've heard the CGI in it's horrendous..

thompsoncory
Forum Leader
thompsoncory
Forum Leader

15 Jan 2005, 01:25 #40

I thought it looked really cool. The CGI wasn't distracting. It wasn't nearly as bad as the CGI evident in trailers for HULK and LXG. It was a very well-constructed trailer and it made me really begin to anticipate the film.