New to wood elves. 2000 points?

Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade
Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade

May 4 2014, 01:06 PM #1

So I'm new to wood elves and I've only played a few fantasy games in general. Trying to write up a list for 2000 points. I don't want a list that will lose every game, but I don't need to win every game, either. More interested in having fun.
This is what I have so far (comes to 2001 points. Our group allows a 5 point buffer either way)

Lord:
-Spellweaver
level 4
Asrai Longbow
Acorns of the Ages

Heroes:
-Spellsinger
level 2
Asrai Longbow
Calaingor's Stave
Dispell Scroll

-Glade Captain
Shield
Arcane Bodkins
Daith's Reaper

Core:
-Glade Guard x16
Lord's Bowman
Standard Bearer
Trueflight Arrows

-Dryads x24
Branch Nymph

Special:
-Warhawk Riders x4
Wind Rider

- Sisters of the Thorn x10
Handmaiden of the Thorn
Standard Bearer

Rare:
-Treeman
Strangleroots

-Waywatchers x6
Waywatcher Sentinel

Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade
Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade

May 4 2014, 02:17 PM #2

Hey Zargothrax - welcome to the forum!

It's good to hear that you've chosen to join us in protecting Athel Loren!
Just had a quick look at your list - you've taken some command options that are generally not needed in your units: generally speaking it's only ever worth getting a champion (eg the Lord's Bowman) in close combat units. The same goes for the Standard Bearer. With that said, it might be better to field just a musician in your units where you can get them (rallying is important).

Where is your Glade Captain going? With the Glade Guard? The Daith's Reaper may be a wee bit excessive if that's the case.

Spellweaver - awesome choice for a HQ
Warhawk Riders - can probably drop the Wind Rider

Dryads - Dryads have been nerfer in our new army book, and are better used as chaff units / body blockers. 24 may be a bit excessive.

I'd recommend dropping the commands for some musicians, and maybe cutting down the dryads in place of some Eternal Guard or Rangers, depending on what you fancy!

How do you see your army playing out?
~ At Swim, Two Boys ~

Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade
Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade

May 4 2014, 03:30 PM #3

Thanks for the reply! I played vampires for a while, so I'm used to taking a standard bearer/champion wherever I can.
I noticed dryads got nerfed a bit. I think I'd like to use magic, and shooting a lot.
Like, buffing units with magic... was thinking lore of life? I really love he new treeman, and the warhawk riders, so I want to toss them in there as well.
The dryads were mainly a blocking unit for archers. How much should I remove? Just go with a unit of 12?

What should I replace the list points with? Maybe a bigger block of glade guard?

Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade
Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade

May 4 2014, 04:09 PM #4

So I just threw up a very rough draft that takes the ideas you put down in your first list -

Lords:
-Spellweaver
level 4
Acorns of the Ages
Elven Steed

Heroes:
-Spellsinger
level 2
Dispel Scroll
Elven Steed

Core:
-Glade Guard x10
Trueflight Arrows
Musician

-Glade Guard x10
Trueflight Arrows
Musician

-Dryads x10

Special:
-Warhawk Riders x5

- Sisters of the Thorn x10
Musician

Rare:
-Treeman
Strangleroots

-Waywatchers x10

There may be too many Sisters here, with points that could be spent elsewhere. The little dyrad unit and the treeman would serve as great redirect targets to keep your glade guard and waywatchers safe, and the hawks could harry the back of the enemy.

Lore of Life is amazing, but now that we have access to all the lores there's a lot of possibilities. One option I am considering is the Lore of Heavens - great buffs to shooting. The other is lore of shadows - great at keeping your enemy weak and slow.

Your lists bears some themes with the one I am thinking of running:
see the last post here. All in all nobody really knows what our true strengths are yet, so feel free to experiment and let us know what you find out!
~ At Swim, Two Boys ~

Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade
Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade

May 4 2014, 07:26 PM #5

Thanks! That list sounds great!

Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade
Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade

May 5 2014, 12:52 AM #6

The only problem I see, is the core is only 430 points total. I need 500 for a 2000 point army

Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade
Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade

May 5 2014, 09:37 AM #7

Ah of course, my bad.

In that case it'd be worth cutting a couple of Sisters, and maybe a Warhawk, and redistributing those points into your core units :).
~ At Swim, Two Boys ~

Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade
Zargothrax
Citizen of the Glade

May 5 2014, 12:46 PM #8

Changed the guard to 16 each, and 8 waywatchers..?

Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade
Elberneth
Citizen of the Glade

May 5 2014, 05:07 PM #9

IMO Waywatchers are one of our strongest units now - I personally plan to field at least two units of 10 in my list. I have a feeling you might want to keep them to 10. Is there any other points you can cut?
~ At Swim, Two Boys ~