What the heck?!

What the heck?!

May 8th, 2012, 1:31 pm #1

Ok, so I know that I have always had a random bit of blonde in my hair - its the reason I started dying my hair...
I normally have my hair up in a bun most of the time and the blonde is in my crown, its not normally noticeable. Id almost forgotten about its existence tbh. I had almost fooled myself into thinking it wasn't as bad as I thought it was and that it was only a shade or 2 lighter that the rest of my hair...

However, a friend commented on it today - not being nasty - but she mentioned that its quite obvious now. I have been dye free since last july and have had 5 inches of growth since then. I took a picture of what I could see and my goodness, I swear is was never this blonde before or that there was this much.
I can safely say that the blonde has come back... WITH A VENGEANCE.

I have 2 choices. Learn to love it and live with it or go back to dying it...

I am really fighting the urge to dye my hair as it looks so darn silly. BUT. I dont to damage my hair with chemicals anymore. Semi permanent hair dye worked for a while but it fades to a red colour that I dont like... I like being a brunette. So I dont want to use henna. And I am really nervous of going down the henndigo route as I know its super permanent and what if I dont like the colour it goes? I mean its not like picking a box with a shade on!

SIGH.
Heres a few pictures of my silly silly hair.

2a/F/ii
Original Length: 24inch July 2011
Achieved first goal 27inch in January 2012
Current Length: 27inch

Second Length Goal: 29 inch
Final Length Goal: (31 Waist)

Routine:
*CWC method and scalp washing
*Mason Pearson BBB nightly
*Oiled with jojoba and braided nightly
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

Edited to replace curse words in order to comply with Loom DB rules and again to edit my own typo! -Fox
Last edited by Fox on May 15th, 2012, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 2:20 pm #2

To me, it just looks like you had it highlighted. I notice it more in the first picture, but can hardly tell in the second. I think it looks totally fine. The main thing is whether or not it bugs you. If you can't stand it, then you have to decide if you want to change it or not. What if you only dyed that spot to match the rest of your hair? It looks like a small section, so it wouldn't take much, and you could do a tiny section first to see if is matched. Just a suggestion .

My long hair albumhttp://public.fotki.com/jen5972/?cmd=neweditalbum

My blog:http://jen5972.blogspot.com/

My Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/JenniferS42394?feature=mhee

Some of my favorite Products:
Trader Joes Nourish conditioner
Giovanni Nutrafix conditioner
Burt's Bees Avacado Butter Hair Treatment
Silk Drops
Apricot Kernel Oil/Almond Oil mix
Jojoba oil
Avrilon's recipe for detangler

May 8th, 2012, 5:40 pm #3

Ok, so I know that I have always had a random bit of blonde in my hair - its the reason I started dying my hair...
I normally have my hair up in a bun most of the time and the blonde is in my crown, its not normally noticeable. Id almost forgotten about its existence tbh. I had almost fooled myself into thinking it wasn't as bad as I thought it was and that it was only a shade or 2 lighter that the rest of my hair...

However, a friend commented on it today - not being nasty - but she mentioned that its quite obvious now. I have been dye free since last july and have had 5 inches of growth since then. I took a picture of what I could see and my goodness, I swear is was never this blonde before or that there was this much.

I am really fighting the urge to dye my hair as it looks so darn silly. BUT. I dont to damage my hair with chemicals anymore. Semi permanent hair dye worked for a while but it fades to a red colour that I dont like... I like being a brunette. So I dont want to use henna. And I am really nervous of going down the henndigo route as I know its super permanent and what if I dont like the colour it goes? I mean its not like picking a box with a shade on!

SIGH.

2a/F/ii

Routine:
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

Edited to replace curse words in order to comply with Loom DB rules and again to edit my own typo! -Fox
The title of your post made me laugh....

I agree that the blonde that is coming back just looks like highlights, to me....I think it looks nice.

I stopped coloring my hair a few years ago, and still growing out the color. So, when I french braid it, the roots and about 5" is dark brown, and then the braid ends up being a reddish color. It looks kinda cool that way.

*BUT*, when I put my hair in a bun (braided tends to show up the most), I look like I have a fake-hair bun attached to my hair! Egads...
I have even had people ask me if "that's my real hair"....which you could take one of two ways....
1. It looks like a fake hair bun
2. they are impressed by the sheer girth of my massive bun....*cough*...ahem....sarcasm intended there....

Either way, I'm sticking to my guns...I like getting my hair colored, but feel that it is healthier when I don't...

Chin up girl....I think it looks good!

May 8th, 2012, 8:42 pm #4

SIGH.

2a/F/ii

Routine:
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

like the way the blond streak looks, Sakura. I think it looks interesting an unique, given that it's all natural. I agree with the girls - the blond is more noticeable in the first photo, but it's lovely nonetheless.

But the ultimate choice is yours, of course You have already laid out your options, and I don't have any other suggestions. I don't think the blond looks silly - but we are our own worst critics, aren't we? I only hope that you will be happy in the end, whether you choose to dye or not.

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

May 8th, 2012, 8:57 pm #5

To me, it just looks like you had it highlighted. I notice it more in the first picture, but can hardly tell in the second. I think it looks totally fine. The main thing is whether or not it bugs you. If you can't stand it, then you have to decide if you want to change it or not. What if you only dyed that spot to match the rest of your hair? It looks like a small section, so it wouldn't take much, and you could do a tiny section first to see if is matched. Just a suggestion .

My long hair albumhttp://public.fotki.com/jen5972/?cmd=neweditalbum

My blog:http://jen5972.blogspot.com/

My Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/JenniferS42394?feature=mhee

Some of my favorite Products:
Trader Joes Nourish conditioner
Giovanni Nutrafix conditioner
Burt's Bees Avacado Butter Hair Treatment
Silk Drops
Apricot Kernel Oil/Almond Oil mix
Jojoba oil
Avrilon's recipe for detangler
Thank you for the suggestion, I hadnt thought of that idea.
You are right though - I need to decide on a course of action and stick with it. I just dont think I can dye my hair regularly as I am too lazy, so I suppose that answers my question really lol

2a/F/ii

Routine:
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

May 8th, 2012, 8:59 pm #6

The title of your post made me laugh....

I agree that the blonde that is coming back just looks like highlights, to me....I think it looks nice.

I stopped coloring my hair a few years ago, and still growing out the color. So, when I french braid it, the roots and about 5" is dark brown, and then the braid ends up being a reddish color. It looks kinda cool that way.

*BUT*, when I put my hair in a bun (braided tends to show up the most), I look like I have a fake-hair bun attached to my hair! Egads...
I have even had people ask me if "that's my real hair"....which you could take one of two ways....
1. It looks like a fake hair bun
2. they are impressed by the sheer girth of my massive bun....*cough*...ahem....sarcasm intended there....

Either way, I'm sticking to my guns...I like getting my hair colored, but feel that it is healthier when I don't...

Chin up girl....I think it looks good!
I am sure that your bun is impressive :D
I would feel healthier if I wasnt dying my hair either....

2a/F/ii

Routine:
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

May 8th, 2012, 9:01 pm #7

like the way the blond streak looks, Sakura. I think it looks interesting an unique, given that it's all natural. I agree with the girls - the blond is more noticeable in the first photo, but it's lovely nonetheless.

But the ultimate choice is yours, of course You have already laid out your options, and I don't have any other suggestions. I don't think the blond looks silly - but we are our own worst critics, aren't we? I only hope that you will be happy in the end, whether you choose to dye or not.

Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
I know you are right about that. I view it as being odd and a nuisance where as other see it as a good thing. I just need to change the way that I view it and 'stick to my guns' no matter how hard it is. Once all off the hair dye has grown out I am sure that I wouldn't feel so awkward about it...

2a/F/ii

Routine:
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

May 8th, 2012, 9:28 pm #8

SIGH.

2a/F/ii

Routine:
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

you should keep the blonde. The blonde streaks (which blend very nicely in the second pic) are a part of what makes you unique. Why would you want to cover them up to look like everybody else? A world where everybody looks alike would be a very boring place indeed.

Lorna

2a/M/iii

Just past tailbone. I plan to take my time getting to classic.

Routine:
Shampoo bars, herbal ACV rinses and catnip soaks.

May 9th, 2012, 4:11 am #9

SIGH.

2a/F/ii

Routine:
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

Some people pay a lot of money to get their hair that way. I saw a young woman the other day whose hair was almost purple around the outer edges (similar to your pattern) and blonde around the crown. It was interesting. And while I would never choose those colours (that she had), it didn't look silly.

It's interesting that yours grows that way but I don't think it looks silly. You could pretend that it's a fashion statement and not what nature gave you if it made you feel any better.

I just posted a response to Jen about my silver hair. All the new growth seems to be silver now but by the time it reaches my bun, it's reverted to my natural colour. Do you know how ridiculous that looks???

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

Confirmation of reply: