The Rope Braid and French Rope Braid- Mini-ropes

The Rope Braid and French Rope Braid- Mini-ropes

Fox

May 27th, 2003, 8:45 am #1

Put hair into a ponytail and secure with band. Section tail into two equal parts.

In the pictures I am using my right hand. If you are left handed you can follow the same instuctions. Taking one section of hair, twist the hair towards your face.

Cross the twisted section of hair over the top of the non-twisted hair. Change hand positions so that the hand you started to twist with now holds the untwisted hair. You only need to twist on one side.

Twist the new section of hair towards your face.

Again, cross the section over the other section of hair. If you cross the hair under the section of hair this will not work! However, if you twist away from your face, you must cross under. Just pick the twisting method easiest for your hands, and remember this rule: towards your face you must cross over, away from your face you must cross under. If you are doing this correctly you will see a nice rope-like effect... if not, it will just look like twisted hair.

Continue until you reach the ends of your hair. I like to leave several inches free. Secure with a band.

French Rope:
The French Rope method works the same way as the tail rope braid, only you will be adding secions of hair to both sides of your braid before twisting.

Begin your braid as you would the pony version, only using two small sections at the center front of your hair line. Twist one section towards your face, crossing over the other section.

Before moving on, you must add a small section of hair from your sides. I like to use my thumb as shown in this picture to scoop up a section of hair. My thumb and middle finger hold one strand while my pointer finger holds the second strand, leaving my left hand free to scoop up the new section of hair.

Once I've scopped up my hair section, I lift my pointer finger allowing the twisted section of hair to fall into my scooped up portion. At this point you'll need to trade hand positions and do the same thing on the other side. Unlike other french styled braids where you add a section of hair and cross over, then work on the other side, you ALWAYS add both sections of hair to both sides before twisting. Once you had added hair to both sides, twist again on your chosen twisting side (my right) and cross over.

I use my middle or pointer finger to hook the other section of hair to make crossing over easier.

Continue to add section and twist until you've reached the ends.

Here I've use a single cross over, normally I like to add sections of hair then cross the hair and cross it again. I do this each time until I reach the tail section where I rope as usual. This makes the rope effect stand up more on crown area.

If you think your hair is too short to use the rope braid, think again! Mini-ropes can add definition and style to any length of hair. Twist a mini-rope and secure with a tiny barrete on the side. Use multiple mini ropes to add a style effect to your hair when wearing it down, as is seen here on my sister's hair. I think she always looks so good when she does this. She will often zig-zag part her hair down the center, then do the ropes to set off the part. Play around and have fun!

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

You can also find me here: The Long Hair Loom

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

May 27th, 2003, 12:34 pm #2

I need more patience with my hair like everyone else has on here. God bless!

-Roni

17/23/25 (first goal)dark brown 2b/3b

May 28th, 2003, 3:56 pm #3

Put hair into a ponytail and secure with band. Section tail into two equal parts.

In the pictures I am using my right hand. If you are left handed you can follow the same instuctions. Taking one section of hair, twist the hair towards your face.

Cross the twisted section of hair over the top of the non-twisted hair. Change hand positions so that the hand you started to twist with now holds the untwisted hair. You only need to twist on one side.

Again, cross the section over the other section of hair. If you cross the hair under the section of hair this will not work! However, if you twist away from your face, you must cross under. Just pick the twisting method easiest for your hands, and remember this rule: towards your face you must cross over, away from your face you must cross under. If you are doing this correctly you will see a nice rope-like effect... if not, it will just look like twisted hair.

Continue until you reach the ends of your hair. I like to leave several inches free. Secure with a band.

French Rope:
The French Rope method works the same way as the tail rope braid, only you will be adding secions of hair to both sides of your braid before twisting.

Begin your braid as you would the pony version, only using two small sections at the center front of your hair line. Twist one section towards your face, crossing over the other section.

Before moving on, you must add a small section of hair from your sides. I like to use my thumb as shown in this picture to scoop up a section of hair. My thumb and middle finger hold one strand while my pointer finger holds the second strand, leaving my left hand free to scoop up the new section of hair.

Once I've scopped up my hair section, I lift my pointer finger allowing the twisted section of hair to fall into my scooped up portion. At this point you'll need to trade hand positions and do the same thing on the other side. Unlike other french styled braids where you add a section of hair and cross over, then work on the other side, you ALWAYS add both sections of hair to both sides before twisting. Once you had added hair to both sides, twist again on your chosen twisting side (my right) and cross over.

I use my middle or pointer finger to hook the other section of hair to make crossing over easier.

Here I've use a single cross over, normally I like to add sections of hair then cross the hair and cross it again. I do this each time until I reach the tail section where I rope as usual. This makes the rope effect stand up more on crown area.

If you think your hair is too short to use the rope braid, think again! Mini-ropes can add definition and style to any length of hair. Twist a mini-rope and secure with a tiny barrete on the side. Use multiple mini ropes to add a style effect to your hair when wearing it down, as is seen here on my sister's hair. I think she always looks so good when she does this. She will often zig-zag part her hair down the center, then do the ropes to set off the part. Play around and have fun!

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
I guess I should include the simple rope braid style you did before showing this one. http://www.dressytresses.com/hair-style ... efault.asp

Your hair looks gorgeous in that style too.

I bet you get lots of compliments on that style when you wear it around town. I can't believe how long your hair is now either.

Fox
Fox

May 29th, 2003, 6:26 am #4

Thanks for your compliments. I usually do the French rope braid and twist twice with each add in of hair. I get a compliment just about every time I wear it!

Your hair looks gorgeous as always! You have such healthy hair and it really, really shows! -Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs

Fox

May 31st, 2003, 11:02 am #5

French Rope:

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Wishing4 posted a picture of her hair in a double rope braided bun. It was so gorgeous I had to try it myself! It is not as beautiful as hers, but you'll get the idea.

Put your hair in a pony tail. This is not absolute, you can also do it without, but this will help you if you are not familiar with rope braiding much. Secure with small band. I like to use the clear snag free bands. Divide your pony tail in half, but then do each half as I showed you in the original rope braid instructions, one half at a time, securing your ends. Once finished, you wrap both ropes at the same time. I found that securing the rounds with each turn helps the bun to stay more rounded, rather than trying to go in under itself.

The Rose Bun

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

Wishing4
Wishing4

June 3rd, 2003, 2:18 pm #6

nm

June 4th, 2003, 8:50 pm #7

French Rope:

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
When you say 'twist towards your face', you mean clockwise, right?

Are both halves twisted the same way?

I'm havin' a heck of a time!

June 4th, 2003, 9:14 pm #8

This is a really neat style. Thanks Fox!

Fox

June 6th, 2003, 9:05 am #9

nm

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

June 28th, 2003, 10:31 am #10

Here's another version of the rope braid using three strands. I don't have any pics but it's fairly simple!

Tie hair in a ponytail and divide into three sections. Grasp the outer section of one of the sides and twist it toward the other two sections. Cross the twisted section over the other two sections. Keep going, using the outside section of the hair again on the same side that you left off. Finish the braid.

It's a very pretty braid.. try it and see how you like it!

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25/32+
2bNii
Still growing out layers...

July 24th, 2003, 5:24 pm #11

French Rope:

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
so i happened to mention in another thread that i occasionally put my hair in those 2-strand twistie braids, but i do it by hand. due to a private request, i'm going to try to explain, and maybe i'll get my husband to take pictures while i do it.

for the purposes of this demonstration, i'm going to make "pollyanna" braids, or the ones down on my shoulders. those are easier to do.
here goes.....

for the sake of simplicity, i bunched the images into two sets:

1. part hair like normal for regular braids.
2. gather into ponytail like regular braids. i don't use rubberbands to secure my hair at this point simply because i try to use them as little as possible, but if you normally need to secure your ponytail first, go ahead and do it here.
3. divide ponytail into two equal sections (instead of 3 for regular braid, although a 3-strand twistie braid might be interesting and very hard to handle) and twist one section firmly, but loosely. in other words, don't crank down on it, just twist it.
4. twist the other section in the SAME direction as the first. this is very important and it won't work otherwise.

5. cross the two sections over/under each other in the OPPOSITE direction of the way you twisted them. if you twisted the individual sections to the left, wrap them to the right around each other. the idea is that while the little twists are trying to untwist one way, the big twist is trying to unwind the other way, so they cancel each other out and no one goes anywhere.
6. make sure the first twist is snug (not tight) against your head before you continue, otherwise you get this really strange bulge right at the top.
7. continue twisting each section individually in one direction while you twist the whole thing in the opposite direction. it's easiest to let one hand kind of do the little twists while the other hand does the big. hard to explain, pretty easy to do.
8. if you hand the little twists back and forth between your hands, it works out pretty smoothly and quickly. too bad i couldn't get a picture of what my hands were actually doing.

And here's the finished product. i like it because they seem to be lower impact than regular braids and my husband is fascinated that they don't unwind. (or at least he was until i had him take these pictures and he got front row seats to the How-To)

oh! and that first picture (the #1 in the first set) i don't know why my hair looks so gray. i'm 24. the lighting was funny. i'm not sure what was up with that.

anyway, Hollie, and whoever else needed these instructions, hope that helps. i'll try to get pictures of what my hands are actually doing if you need it. good luck!!!!!

16/31.5/39-40
1b-c M ii
light brown/auburn

-----------3/21/02-------------------------11/01/02-----------

Products used:
J/A/S/O/N Natural Sea Kelp Shampoo
Tresseme Moisturizing Conditioner
Redken All Soft Heavy Cream
Jojoba Oil

Schondy.com My Personal Website

edited only to take out BBcode brackets not needed on this format
Last edited by Fox on August 1st, 2003, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fox

August 1st, 2003, 10:22 am #12

I really appreciate it!

-Fox

17/34.75/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

And my newest gallery collection <a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html"> Forever Fox </a>

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

Confirmation of reply: