The Mrs. El Knot... (aka The Hairstick Knot)

The Mrs. El Knot... (aka The Hairstick Knot)

Fox

May 27th, 2003, 8:22 am #1

This hair style was inspired by a style that Ms.El posted for me once. Since then I've tried many variations!

Step one- gather hair into a pony tail, but do not use a band, simply hold the tail in your hand. Place a hair stick underneath the pony tail.

Step 2- Wrap hair around the stick going over and under. Depending on how you want this style to look, you can either leave part of your tail out (as shown with these direction, or wrap nearly all of it, leaving only the tiniest amount.

Once you have wrapped the hair, while holding the tail, twist the stick counter clockwise. Depending on the thickness of your hair, and the distance you held your pony tail away from your head, you will either twist once or twice.

Once the stick reaches the top of the head lift the tip slightly and insert at top of crown. You will be bringing the top of the stick staight upward. Note the stick position in the pictures above and below. When the tip goes in, the top is closer to the ground. In the next picture where I'm sliding the stick down, the top is closer to the ceiling.

Slide the stick downward. If this feels too tight, remove stick and start again, twisting less, or holding the hair out farther from your head.

If you'd like, you can add an additional stick to the knot to help it lay the way you want it to.

The Hair-Stick Knot complete.

Another way you can do this style which works well with thicker hair, is to wrap your hair only once or twice, twist and secure with one hair stick. Using the remainder of the tail, wrap again, twist and secure. You can see a picture of this style in the Styling Station logo. It is the picture showing it from the side.

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

You can also find me here: The Long Hair Loom

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
Last edited by Fox on May 28th, 2003, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

May 27th, 2003, 12:32 pm #2

n/m

-Roni

17/23/25 (first goal)dark brown 2b/3b

May 27th, 2003, 9:48 pm #3

This hair style was inspired by a style that Ms.El posted for me once. Since then I've tried many variations!

Step one- gather hair into a pony tail, but do not use a band, simply hold the tail in your hand. Place a hair stick underneath the pony tail.

Step 2- Wrap hair around the stick going over and under. Depending on how you want this style to look, you can either leave part of your tail out (as shown with these direction, or wrap nearly all of it, leaving only the tiniest amount.

Once you have wrapped the hair, while holding the tail, twist the stick counter clockwise. Depending on the thickness of your hair, and the distance you held your pony tail away from your head, you will either twist once or twice.

Once the stick reaches the top of the head lift the tip slightly and insert at top of crown. You will be bringing the top of the stick staight upward. Note the stick position in the pictures above and below. When the tip goes in, the top is closer to the ground. In the next picture where I'm sliding the stick down, the top is closer to the ceiling.

Slide the stick downward. If this feels too tight, remove stick and start again, twisting less, or holding the hair out farther from your head.

If you'd like, you can add an additional stick to the knot to help it lay the way you want it to.

Another way you can do this style which works well with thicker hair, is to wrap your hair only once or twice, twist and secure with one hair stick. Using the remainder of the tail, wrap again, twist and secure. You can see a picture of this style in the Styling Station logo. It is the picture showing it from the side.

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Did you mean MrsEl, not Ms. El? I remember posting a knotted hair stick style on lhl a while back.....If it is me, and I don't mean to jump the gun here, but if it is I feel so honored! I can't believe I have a style named after me now, hahaha! This just made my whole day. I feel like I contributed something worth while to the site.
I love the variation you've done with that style...I'll have to play around with it.
Grinning,
MrsEl

Fox

May 28th, 2003, 6:17 am #4

the proper credit you deserve! Even my younger sis was captivated by this style. I think she mostly liked that you could pull the sticks out and... down come your hair hair!

Thanks Mrs. El!

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

May 28th, 2003, 4:06 pm #5

I can't wait to tell my husband....he'll be so proud. Lol!
Thanks, Fox!
:-)MrsEl

April
April

May 29th, 2003, 6:34 pm #6

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Cool! I had learned a version of this style when I bought my 3-prong wooden hair fork - just twisting it around once to create a ponytail. Hadn't ever thought about twisting it more than once though!

June 29th, 2003, 11:24 pm #7

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
I had been looking for a quick, cute, messy style ever since my hair got too long for messy "peacock" twists with claw clips, so this came really handy. Had to play with it a little to get the tension just right, but it's definitely worth working on
I used one of my longer cocobolo three prong forks by Blondiesturn:

Thanks again, that one's fun!

Cheers,
Madeleine

--
Pixie/BS/waist (if it wants to grow that far)
1cFi, dark ash blonde hennaed fiery red

http://www.haarkram.e-something.de

Fox

June 30th, 2003, 7:49 am #8

Does every style just look great on you? I think so! Your hair fork looks lovely in that style. I'm so glad you shared that. You look great!

-Fox

17/33.50/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

February 14th, 2005, 6:00 pm #9

-Fox

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
I need more practice, though ...

I like it because it doesn't look too bad even with a small amount of hair (which is all I've got! LOL!)

kim

colored with henna/indigo
conditioner only washes & baking soda washes with lemon juice rinse. Leave in conditioner with jojoba
Curls are all natural. 3a/b N i/ii
24.25/27.75/30
would like eventually to have waist-length,
but not sure it will get that long!

"To be a witness does not consist in engaging in propaganda
or even in stirring people up, but in being a living mystery:
it means to live in such a way that one’s life would not make sense if God did not exist."
- Emmanuel Cardinal Suhard of Paris

Confirmation of reply: