Terrible herbal/henna experience. Please help!

Terrible herbal/henna experience. Please help!

nicnac
nicnac

August 23rd, 2004, 4:05 pm #1

Hello everybody!
I hope someone can help me, give me advice, maybe console me!
Yesterday I hennaed my hair for the second time. I had been quite happy with my first try (a nice orange). I bought (at least I hope so) the same herbal/henna dye in the same shop but the result is so different and UGLY !!! I'm desperate!
The natural color of my hair (waist lenght) is a dark grayish blonde at the root and gets lighter down the lenght (the tips are a light blonde).
Now it is a horrible, strong and fierce ruby red, with a sort of purple shade to it. The roots are not so terrible in a soft diffused light, but the whole is almost a "punk hair" red in the sunlight! I can't stand it.
Well, if the shop girl gave me the right dye is should be mahogany, but it was the same the last time (and the result was orange, not purple red) and the time before when I just made some quiet tests.
I cannot understand why I got this result!
Was is straight henna? Was it another mix?
Now I'm truly scared. Browsing in the internet I found out that most people say henna is PERMANENT, that is will NEVER go away (and I had thought that chemical dyes were permanent, while henna fades out and in a short time).
The previous henna had faded a lot in two months. Will this fade as well? But then, will my hair be pink?
If I wash them frequently, will the color go away faster?
The last time for over a month when I washed my hair water used to be a brownish yellow and I would stain my towels when drying my hair. So color WAS coming off the hair.
Someone seemed to suggest using mineral oil or baking soda to take at least part of the color out, but my hair is already dry and not in a good condition and I don't want to ruin it more. And I do NOT want to cut it!
This is so long, I know. So many doubts and questions.
I just hope that someone will bother to read it and reply. If you do, know that I'm really THANKFUL to you!
Hope that you will never have such a terrible hair experience.

Nicnac

August 23rd, 2004, 4:19 pm #2

I am sorry to hear that.
I dont have any experience with henna but many others here have. Just sit tight and someone will help you.

Angel Hugs and Love

<font face="Book Antiqua" color="A0522D" size="2">Betty
Honey Blonde with Strawberry Sparkles
2abM/Ciii
Medium to Coarse, Thick, Very Long Layers

Next Measuring: Oct 1st
20 1/2 - Aug 1st 26 - 30

2nd Short Term Goal:
27" by Fall
Waist Length: 28 - 29"</font>

<font face="Book Antiqua" color="A0522D" size="1">
Doll from Valley of the Dollz</font>

<font face="Book Antiqua" color="A0522D" size="2">My Vanity</font>

August 23rd, 2004, 7:04 pm #3

Hello everybody!
Yesterday I hennaed my hair for the second time. I had been quite happy with my first try (a nice orange). I bought (at least I hope so) the same herbal/henna dye in the same shop but the result is so different and UGLY !!! I'm desperate!
The natural color of my hair (waist lenght) is a dark grayish blonde at the root and gets lighter down the lenght (the tips are a light blonde).
Now it is a horrible, strong and fierce ruby red, with a sort of purple shade to it. The roots are not so terrible in a soft diffused light, but the whole is almost a "punk hair" red in the sunlight! I can't stand it.
Well, if the shop girl gave me the right dye is should be mahogany, but it was the same the last time (and the result was orange, not purple red) and the time before when I just made some quiet tests.
Now I'm truly scared. Browsing in the internet I found out that most people say henna is PERMANENT, that is will NEVER go away (and I had thought that chemical dyes were permanent, while henna fades out and in a short time).
The previous henna had faded a lot in two months. Will this fade as well? But then, will my hair be pink?
The last time for over a month when I washed my hair water used to be a brownish yellow and I would stain my towels when drying my hair. So color WAS coming off the hair.
Someone seemed to suggest using mineral oil or baking soda to take at least part of the color out, but my hair is already dry and not in a good condition and I don't want to ruin it more. And I do NOT want to cut it!
I just hope that someone will bother to read it and reply. If you do, know that I'm really THANKFUL to you!

Nicnac
First, welcome to the Loom!

I'm so sorry your last henna was so upsetting. I hope I can help.
I don't know what happened with the previous henna, but if it was mahogany, it should not have produced orange. Maybe it was stale. The color you describe now is a perfect description of what mahogany will produce on dark blonde hair: ruby red with cool purple tones. I understand that you dislike it, but I wanted to let you know that what you got this time wasn't a mistake, and your hair isn't ruined.

Whenever someone asks me if henna is permanent, I like to reply that they should plan on it so they are really prepared. Henna can wash out within a week or it can last for up to a year. You have an advantage in that you know henna fades on you in about two months. It probably will this time, too, but I suspect that it will still be reddish. You won't go to pink, though.

The first thing that will happen in the next few days is that the color will oxidize and become richer. The redness will tone down a little. One of the reasons you got such a deep color is that repeat applications of henna will build up until the full staining potential is reached. Now that I think of it, that could explain why you got orange the first time. It was a base on your blonde hair, and now you are reaching true mahogany.

Okay, now what to do.
The bad news is that you cannot go lighter. If you would like to go browner, that can be achieved, however.
The good news is that you can remove the henna with warm mineral oil(baby oil). The baking soda isn't necessary. Warm the mineral oil and saturate your hair with it. Be very careful not to get it too hot. You don't want to fry your hair or burn your scalp. Cover your hair with plastic and leave it on for a while. You could even use a heatcap. Then wash and condition. It may take a couple of treatments like this to remove the henna. I have not done it myself, but one of the members, named Goldenhair, has done it, and it worked well.

I know your results are shocking to you, but is there any possibility that you might like the color? I know of someone who uses mahogany on blonde hair, and it is really lovely. Do you have a friend or family member whom you would trust to give you an objective, yet loving, opinion? Maybe this could be a whole new fantastic look for you that you never even considered.

I hope I've helped a little. Please don't hesitate to ask if anything is unclear, or if you have more questions, or if you need more support.

2...something/ F/ ii
midback/ tailbone/ classic

Fox

August 24th, 2004, 5:42 am #4

Hello everybody!

Nicnac
I think I will add my reply here in case anyone else finds themselves in your situation.

It sounds like you got Burgundy instead of Mahogany. Did you buy a name brand? Or does your local place mix up the henna colors themselves? If so, they could have made a mistake. Strand testing first is always advised, even when using the same products. Henna coats your hair with a glaze of color, so if your hair was blonde, then you hennaed, it will be one color. If you then hennaed again, right afterward, even using the same color, you will now be adding a glaze of color over another color, creating again a new color. It should still be in the same family though, and this is not what you are describing. Think of henna as lightly tinted nail polish. If you put it over a natural nail it's one color. If you put on a second coat it's another color. If you put it on over painted nails, it's another color. This is how henna works.

Henna can be removed, but it can be damaging. It also has to be done carefully. Henna does fade over time, but it does take time. You absolutely do not want to try and use hair color over it. On recently hennaed hair, you can get some strange results. It would be better to try lightening the henna effect in another way, or going with a different henna color. Since you wanted the lighter red, this might be difficult to change using another henna color because it's hard to get it it to be both light and red when it is already Burgundy. I toned down my deep red, by putting brown henna on for about 15 minutes. It was then an Auburn color.

Goldenhair lightened her henna by getting some crystals at Sally's beauty supply that is supposed to remove hair color. She also mixed up some Crystal Light (lemonade, not pink!) with a small amount of water and applied that, then soaked her hair in mineral oil. It is supposed to help lift the color. The lady I am talking about is Goldenhair. You can post to her directly on the board, or you can email her via her website, http://dressytresses.com/

There is another lady here, Shawn, who had henna professionally removed. I believed they used some fruit extracts to do it. She is not on too often due to a family situation and a busy work schedule, but hopefully she will see your post.

Right now, I suggest trying the Crystal Light and oil method. The faster you act to remove henna, the better the results. If you don't have Crystal Light, try lemon juice, then apply the oil. Baby oil works for this, but if you don't have any of that, try any oil you have in your kitchen cabinet, Olive, Vegetable, Canola. Mineral oils are usually not considered great for hair as far as a regular oil to use, but it seems to work for this type of situation. However, all the other oils I mentioned, are good for hair anytime. It will give you a start until you can get some mineral oil.

I hope this helps!

-Fox

17/35/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
<a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

nicnac
nicnac

August 24th, 2004, 7:27 am #5

I really appreciate your explanations and suggestions.
I feel a bit better today. At least, I have hope that this dye will eventually go away.
Yesterday I got home from work and could not wait any longer: I really had to wash my hair to see what would happen. I rinsed it a lot, shampooed and conditioned: the water running away was a nice apricot color. I was able to smile again. Yes, over time it WILL go away.
The hair is still the same color, but well...
Two ladies in my office complimented me on this new brave color (although one said that she preferred the orange shade). Of course they have just seen it in a concealing braid
My mother says to stick with it, wear my hair in a bun, play with scarves or just consider myself a quite eccentric lady who goes around with long flying crazy hair because she simply LOVES that color.

Hugs to you all.
Nicnac

FOX, thank you for your email. When I calmed down a little I realised that I could post a message without having to open an account. But my e-mail to you had already gone

August 24th, 2004, 9:51 am #6

Hello everybody!

Nicnac
I can't add anything, so I just wanted to sa WELCOME!

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/32.7/35?
First goal: 30" in March <-- goal reached
Second goal: Tailbone (33"?) by September
Final goal: 35" in February 2005
Growing since January 2003, found TLHL end of June 2003 and was at 25"

Leia's Hair Journal

Last Updated: August 22, 2004

August 25th, 2004, 9:05 pm #7

Hello everybody!

Nicnac
I am sorry to hear that the henna didn't go as you'd hoped

Due to a sudden family situation and an insane work schedule (I do mehendi for a living, and summer is the busy season), I needed to have the color removed from my hair. I went to my regular stylist, who is a wizard. First, I should warn you that this can be *expensive.* I work out of the salon doin henna, so get a steep discount--otherwise, I'd probably be in some form of indentured servitude right now.

He used a color stripper made from fruit extracts. Bleach stippers should never be used on henna'd hair, as they open the cuticle and actually push the dye deeper. All stippers do that to an extent, but the fruit ones do it to a much lesser degree and are far easier on your hair. He then color corrected my hair for a final peachy color that was actually quite lovely. Over the next 3 months, we used the same type of stripper once a month. Color was corrected at my roots to match the previously-henna'd hair. There is only one color brand he was willing to use on the hair (he'd called all of the companies) for fear of mineral salts or other reactants. Also, deep conditioners were used after every stripper. And, I used coconut oil and herbal vinegar rinses to help keep it strong and shiny.

It's been three months, and my hair is only now back to it's original color. The peach is pretty well gone, and I am back to my natural blonde color (see below). You want to make sure you get a good stylist that is willing to do some research. You can't get the fruit-type strippers yourself unless you're a licensed beautician, so I don't recommend trying to get the color out on your own. The other caveat is that if your hair is naturally dark, it'll need to be stripped and then dyed darker again.

While I had my hair henna'd, chamomile and white vinegar did lighten it, as well.

I am glad you're gradually getting used to your new color, though, and sometimes it just takes a while to do that. Large changes are often the most difficult for the one that makes them, and perhaps this bold new color will grow on you.

Good luck with everything.

Length: 31" Type: 1aFi/ii
Waist length, stick straight, fine, lots of slip. White/platinum blonde, henna'd to deep copper.

Products: Prabda henna, Biolage line, John Frieda Sheer Blonde Kelp conditioning masque.

August 26th, 2004, 7:49 am #8

I'm glad to hear that we were able to remove your henna without damaging our hair. You're lucky to know a hairdresser like that, I'm afraid there are not so many around who would bother to find the only one product that would be absolutely safe on their customers' hair.
At the moment I don't think I will do anything to try to remove the henna. Not even the mineral oil treatment.
I'm trying to get accustomed to the color. I quite like it as long as the hair is wrapped up in a bun. I still can't stand it hanging loose down my back, especially in the sun: it's really shocking then!
Besides, I'll be on holiday the next two weeks and don't want to risk other hair problems.
You mentioned chamomile, Shawn. Do you mean chamomile rinses? Did it really lighten the henna?
I understand that you know quite a lot about henna. Do you think that it will eventually go away completely? (I've read somewhere that henna could be considered as a permanent stain on hair).
When I wash my hair, the water draining off my hair is lightly colored. Is that the henna or the other herbal dyes mixed to it? (I experienced this also the first time I henna'd a couple of months ago and it lasted for at least a month, then stopped).
Thank you for your help. (Everyone else is welcome to give their view as well!)

Nicnac

current lenght 30.5"
type 2cNii

August 26th, 2004, 8:05 am #9

Of course what I meant was:

"I'm glad to hear that YOU were able to remove your henna without damaging YOUR hair."

For sure, my English is not very good but I should be able to distinguish "we" from "you"... LOL

Nicnac

current lenght 30.5"
type 2cNii

August 26th, 2004, 4:39 pm #10

I'm glad to hear that we were able to remove your henna without damaging our hair. You're lucky to know a hairdresser like that, I'm afraid there are not so many around who would bother to find the only one product that would be absolutely safe on their customers' hair.
At the moment I don't think I will do anything to try to remove the henna. Not even the mineral oil treatment.
I'm trying to get accustomed to the color. I quite like it as long as the hair is wrapped up in a bun. I still can't stand it hanging loose down my back, especially in the sun: it's really shocking then!
Besides, I'll be on holiday the next two weeks and don't want to risk other hair problems.
You mentioned chamomile, Shawn. Do you mean chamomile rinses? Did it really lighten the henna?
I understand that you know quite a lot about henna. Do you think that it will eventually go away completely? (I've read somewhere that henna could be considered as a permanent stain on hair).
When I wash my hair, the water draining off my hair is lightly colored. Is that the henna or the other herbal dyes mixed to it? (I experienced this also the first time I henna'd a couple of months ago and it lasted for at least a month, then stopped).
Thank you for your help. (Everyone else is welcome to give their view as well!)

Nicnac

current lenght 30.5"
type 2cNii
And I hope I spelled that right. I am in a bit of a rush out the door, but wanted to reply. I did a chamomille tea & white vinegar rinse, and it did noticibly lighten my hair. It didn't take it back to blonde or anything, but it was lighter. Some of the other ladies on the board, I think, reported taht this didn't happen with that type of rinse, though. So, it may be different for every person. The good news is that the vinegar rinse is good for your hair whichever way you look at it, so no harm in giving it a go.

Henna will fade, just like all color does. Especially in the sun. How long it takes to fade completely, though, depends entirely on your hair. Everyone's is different, and for some poeple the stuff really clings. Since your first batch really faded in two months, I would guess that you can expect similar results this time around (unless your first batch was old). Fox and a few of the other lasses here probably have more info on how long it takes for each of their hennas to fade or wear, as well.

Enjoy vacation!

Waist length, stick straight, fine, lots of slip. White/platinum blonde, henna'd to deep copper.

Products: Prabda henna, Biolage line, John Frieda Sheer Blonde Kelp conditioning masque.

August 27th, 2004, 7:01 am #11

I do ACV rinses almost every time I wash my hair. For some reason I had thought that vinegar would have made the henna stay longer and had already decided to stop that for the moment. My hair looks much better when I rinse it with vinegar; so I'm happy to know that I can go on doing that.
I don't know if there's much difference between ACV and white vinegar, but next time I'll try chamomile tea and white vinegar.
Thank you for your suggestion!

Nicnac

current lenght 30.5"
type 2cNii

Fox

August 28th, 2004, 7:46 am #12

With vinegar, I've heard both, that it helps to lock in color, and that it can help remove color. It might just be one of those things where it responds in different ways to different hair.

It sounds like you used an herbal blend of henna and herbs. I find those fade much quicker than pure henna used alone. Just be sure that you don't apply any other henna on top of this before it fades out because it will only intensify the color and it will take that much longer for it to fade. Of course if you love the color you can keep on with it, but the more times you apply the more likely it will be that it won't fade away easily.

Hope that helps a bit more!

-Fox

17/35/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
<a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

rosie
rosie

July 2nd, 2009, 10:28 pm #13

Due to a sudden family situation and an insane work schedule (I do mehendi for a living, and summer is the busy season), I needed to have the color removed from my hair. I went to my regular stylist, who is a wizard. First, I should warn you that this can be *expensive.* I work out of the salon doin henna, so get a steep discount--otherwise, I'd probably be in some form of indentured servitude right now.

He used a color stripper made from fruit extracts. Bleach stippers should never be used on henna'd hair, as they open the cuticle and actually push the dye deeper. All stippers do that to an extent, but the fruit ones do it to a much lesser degree and are far easier on your hair. He then color corrected my hair for a final peachy color that was actually quite lovely. Over the next 3 months, we used the same type of stripper once a month. Color was corrected at my roots to match the previously-henna'd hair. There is only one color brand he was willing to use on the hair (he'd called all of the companies) for fear of mineral salts or other reactants. Also, deep conditioners were used after every stripper. And, I used coconut oil and herbal vinegar rinses to help keep it strong and shiny.

It's been three months, and my hair is only now back to it's original color. The peach is pretty well gone, and I am back to my natural blonde color (see below). You want to make sure you get a good stylist that is willing to do some research. You can't get the fruit-type strippers yourself unless you're a licensed beautician, so I don't recommend trying to get the color out on your own. The other caveat is that if your hair is naturally dark, it'll need to be stripped and then dyed darker again.

While I had my hair henna'd, chamomile and white vinegar did lighten it, as well.

I am glad you're gradually getting used to your new color, though, and sometimes it just takes a while to do that. Large changes are often the most difficult for the one that makes them, and perhaps this bold new color will grow on you.

are you the woman at the bottom of this page who changed her hair color? If so, I am SO interested in the brand name of the hair color stripper you used to remove the henna.please respond, regardless. any help is very appreciated

Aerika
Aerika

September 23rd, 2009, 11:28 pm #14

Can I get your e-mail address or phone number? I hennaed my hair yesterday and hate it. I would love to be able to talk to your stylist as well.

Thanks so much!!

Rachel
Rachel

September 13th, 2010, 10:05 pm #15

I have naturally blonde hair and used henna in my hair a few months back. I loved the colour when I first used it, but now it's gone a horrible boring mousey colour and I want my original blonde colour back! Do you know what the brand of fruit based colour stripper was?? And where you can buy it? Thanks!

Liz
Liz

January 2nd, 2011, 11:22 pm #16

Hi, if you know the name of the stripping product, I would be soooo happy!

guyla taylor
guyla taylor

January 28th, 2011, 4:28 pm #17

Please inform me where to purchase fruit based dye strippers or who does this and name of fruit dye strippers as mentioned in the article.

Confirmation of reply: