Success Stories

Success Stories

June 28th, 2003, 3:05 pm #1

So far, I've loved the styles here! I've had success with the rope braid, tri-coil bun and figure 8 bun! Also, I decided to make a little contribution of my own. Earlier on there was a post about a shortened ponytail, when you twist the hair, pull the hair through, and secure. For those that have hip-length or longer hair, you might try braiding the hair first before making the hair knot. I tried this when my hair was longer and loved it! You can secure with pins or a hair screw which will look as though the hair has been knotted onto itself.

I also went to Madeleine's site about the french twist and loved it! That video of yours was especially great Madeleine! I was able to do the french twist on my first try! I like it best when secured with a comb. The only thing I have a problem with is sticking everything into the roll, sometimes I end up with two rolls, if that makes any sense at all! Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

I love the french braid, but sometimes I have trouble with getting the front to look perfect and have to use water on that part of my hair to get it smooth. Does anyone else have this problem? Oh and for those who don't yet know how to do french braids, here's a link to a site which explains it really well: http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/brai ... french.htm. And if you have time, explore the rest of the site! It's really cool!

One more question before I log off tonight! Has anyone been able to do a crown braid on themselves? I'm thinking I should attempt it now before my hair grows longer and more frustrating, but it's so much different than doing it on someone else!

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25/32+
2bNii
Still growing out layers...

June 28th, 2003, 9:58 pm #2

... that you found my site helpful, thanks for the feedback!

Regarding your problems with the twist, maybe you're twisting too tightly? I'm not quite sure if I understand exactly what doesn't work, but it sounds like there might be too much hair to tuck under completely?
Check out Cinnamon Hair's instructions, she doesn't twist a "rope" at all like I do, she just folds the length and then rolls. That might work better for very long and/or thick hair:

http://classiclength.home.mchsi.com/fre ... index.html

About the crown braid - as far as I know there is a certain consensus that that's about the hardest updo of all to do on yourself. I think Starfilly wrote once that she did one, but she's the Updo Queen anyway!

Cheers,
Madeleine

--
Pixie/BS/waist (if it wants to grow that far)
1cFi, dark ash blonde hennaed fiery red

http://www.haarkram.e-something.de

June 29th, 2003, 3:57 am #3

I think I might be twisting to hard. My hair is quite thick so that makes it harder to get into the roll. Thanks for referring me to Cinnamon's site! I'll see how well those work for me :D

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25/32+
2bNii

Fox

June 30th, 2003, 7:46 am #4

So far, I've loved the styles here! I've had success with the rope braid, tri-coil bun and figure 8 bun! Also, I decided to make a little contribution of my own. Earlier on there was a post about a shortened ponytail, when you twist the hair, pull the hair through, and secure. For those that have hip-length or longer hair, you might try braiding the hair first before making the hair knot. I tried this when my hair was longer and loved it! You can secure with pins or a hair screw which will look as though the hair has been knotted onto itself.

I also went to Madeleine's site about the french twist and loved it! That video of yours was especially great Madeleine! I was able to do the french twist on my first try! I like it best when secured with a comb. The only thing I have a problem with is sticking everything into the roll, sometimes I end up with two rolls, if that makes any sense at all! Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

I love the french braid, but sometimes I have trouble with getting the front to look perfect and have to use water on that part of my hair to get it smooth. Does anyone else have this problem? Oh and for those who don't yet know how to do french braids, here's a link to a site which explains it really well: http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/brai ... french.htm. And if you have time, explore the rest of the site! It's really cool!

One more question before I log off tonight! Has anyone been able to do a crown braid on themselves? I'm thinking I should attempt it now before my hair grows longer and more frustrating, but it's so much different than doing it on someone else!

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25/32+
2bNii
Oh my! These are hard to get even on yourself... at least that's what I've found. I think starting now would be perfect for you. I wish I had learned when my hair was shorter. I think doing the Crown Braid yourself is very possible, but require practice to keep it even and smooth.

I think if you don't twist your hair as tight, you might have better luck with the French Twist. Also, sometimes not "trying so hard" can work too. I find trying to make things perfect can sometimes give imperfect results, while just playing around can bring perfection.

I also think it's harder to do the French Twist on freshly washed hair. It's more slippery.

With the French Braid, you might want to try using a little Aloe Very Gel on your hair first. This may help with the smoothing. Another thing to keep in mind is that the way you section your hair will effect the look of the braid as well. You can do tiny sections for a greater hold and defined look, or larger section for that thick, woven look. You can also section by bring hair straight up from the sides to the center of your scalp (if you are gathering hair with your thumbs, your thumbs would be pointing straight up, gather and continuing upward until your thumbs meet to get an idea of what I mean), or bringing them from the sides back to the center (thumb pointing toward the back of the head and continuing around that way until thumbs meet). You can come up with all kinds of part sections this way. You'll soon find your favorite way to do it.

If we can be of any more help, let us know.

Thanks for sharing what you did about the braided pony knot. You might want to add that to that particular thread.

-Fox

17/33.50/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

You can also find me here: The Long Hair Loom

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
Last edited by Fox on June 30th, 2003, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

June 30th, 2003, 10:26 am #5

I figured before reading this post that this might have been the problem, and that I was using too big sections at the beginning of the braid. I would take the crown section of hair and then that bit that's always hanging near the ears, and that's way too much hair for one section. That makes the braid all bumpy on top! So I tried again with smaller sections, and it looked really great!

I don't think I have enough arm strength to do a crown braid on myself! Are you able to do one, Fox? Mary Bertke of Dreamweaver braiding has managed this, and her hair is tailbone length! Will have to keep on trying!

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25/32+
2bNii

Fox

July 1st, 2003, 9:45 am #6

I get a bit off balanced with my crown... perhaps it's a bit tarnished! I need more polish!

I'm still working on it!

Glad the smaller sections make it smoother for you in the French Braid. Learning these braids while your hair is shorter, will certainly help you as your hair gets longer! Keep practicing!

-Fox

17/34/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

And my newest gallery collection <a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox"> Forever Fox </a>

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

July 2nd, 2003, 7:02 am #7

nm

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25.25/32+
Bangs at 10 inches
2bNii

Fox

July 3rd, 2003, 8:38 am #8

I have trouble using her instructions on myself. I have used her site to learn the concept of a braid by trying it on someone else. Once I get the idea, I can try and figure out how to do it on my own self. This is the reason I try to do the step by step instructions and pictures on the Styling Station from a "do it on yourself" point of view. Otherwise, I just can't "see" it enough to do it on myself, and think others might feel the same.

-Fox

17/34/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

And my newest gallery collection <a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox"> Forever Fox </a>

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

July 3rd, 2003, 9:53 am #9

The "do it yourself" point of view is much easier. I use her concept for the crown braid, and I haven't been able to master it yet, but practise makes perfect! If you ever do figure out how to make a nice one on yourself, please post instructions !

HOPEFULLY by the time you log in tomorrow, there'll be a new post from me in the Styling Station!

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25.25/tailbone
Bangs at 10 inches
2bNii

April 16th, 2004, 6:19 am #10

Love,
~*Leia*~

18/25/32+
2bNii
Hi! I was reading your post about crown braiding and wanted to share a variety of crown braid that you might find easier. I personally don't like braiding all the way around my head, because it exposes a couple cowlicks that I'm not fond of. I've found though, that if you do it in two pieces it works better, faster, and is quite pretty. Here's what I mean:

1. Do a large zig-zag part down the middle of your head, and separate your hair into two equal regions, securing one out of the way.
2. Begin french braiding one half of your hair (as if you were going to do two braids down the sides of your head) until you get a bit past your ears; keep the last inch or so a bit loose.
3. Here's the trick to getting it to move like a crown instead of a low bun. Since you still have a section of hair hanging on this side that hasn't been braided, holding the braid in one hand, divide this hanging bit into 3 equal sections, and add one to each strand of the braid.
4. Now, tighten the strands by pointing the braid toward your other ear and pulling the strands gently.
5. Braid to the ends and secure. Repeat on other side.
6. Now, take the braids and circle them over the top of your head, pinning as you go. (This involves taking the braid on the right side, and crossing it around your head to the left) You can lay them flat and just overlap them, or twist them around each other, depending on how long your hair is.
7. When you're finished, you have a perfect crown; mine always has wispies, but I hate hairspray, so I'm okay with that. It's fun to decorate, too. Sometimes I put a beaded hairnet over the crown section. Most often, though, I take a large darning needle and some thin, sparkly ribbon, and (starting in back) whip stich the ribbon around the crown, tying the extra in a bow in back. It's beautiful and elegant.

I've always gotten a lot of complements on this style; it looks much more complicated than it actually is, and is easy to dress up. Also, it lasts a long time. Finally, it also makes a beautiful tiara half-updo, if you skip adding the hanging sections in step 3. Hope you can use it! It's really fun!

Eri-Chan
\(^u^)/ —La!

Bra-strap/35"/Classic or longer!
1aNii
Natural light brown w/ cinnamon & gold highlights; especially in summer

April 17th, 2004, 1:37 am #11

I don't think it's a variation - it is a perfect crown! I find that is the easiest way to crown braid your own hair. I'm glad I'm doing it "right" !

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/30.9/35?
First goal: 30" in March <-- goal reached
Second goal: Tailbone (33"?) by September
Final goal: 35" in February 2005
Growing since January 2003, found TLHL end of June 2003 and was at 25"

Leia's Hair Journal

Last Updated: April 11, 2004

Confirmation of reply: