Ready to return

Ready to return

August 3rd, 2017, 8:32 pm #1

Hello all,

I am a member who has been away for years. I used to have long hair, but health problems took that away from me. As my hair problems increased, it became too upsetting to spend time online talking hair, or even browsing about it. So I stayed away. Last fall I ended up with a buzz cut because my scalp got worse and worse, until the tiniest touch or movement of hair hurt. About a month after buzzing my hair, my scalp began to heal. Last month I decided to try growing it again, since I think my growth has finally returned to a normal state and my scalp feels normal.

Right now I have a pixie cut (bleached and hennaed to a vibrant orange tone, with dark brown roots). The shortest part is now an inch long, my bangs are about 4 inches long.

August 4th, 2017, 7:23 pm #2

I have wondered how you were doing. We both underwent manor sheds at the same time but for you it must have been even more traumatic because your hair was so long. I remember your videos of it at knee and it was gorgeous. I'm sorry it has taken this long to recover and that you had scalp issues as well. I hurt for you, knowing what you've been through (I had hoped your hair would have recovered by now) and knowing how traumatic something like this is. Yes, it's just hair, but it's also more than just hair.

I remember when I first cut from 38" back to waist, and then BSL, crying because it would take six years for my hair to recover. More than six years on I'm seeing progress (finally) but I still don't have 'my' hair back. I suspect my age may also be contributing to some of the problem now so I'm aiming for the best hair I can have and trying not to compare it to what I did have.

I look forward to following your journey again.

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

August 7th, 2017, 2:39 am #3

Hello all,

I am a member who has been away for years. I used to have long hair, but health problems took that away from me. As my hair problems increased, it became too upsetting to spend time online talking hair, or even browsing about it. So I stayed away. Last fall I ended up with a buzz cut because my scalp got worse and worse, until the tiniest touch or movement of hair hurt. About a month after buzzing my hair, my scalp began to heal. Last month I decided to try growing it again, since I think my growth has finally returned to a normal state and my scalp feels normal.

Right now I have a pixie cut (bleached and hennaed to a vibrant orange tone, with dark brown roots). The shortest part is now an inch long, my bangs are about 4 inches long.
and that your scalp is healed. They say that if the scalp is unwell that the follicles are highly affected and even stunted. But, as with all things in our bodies, healing comes. God made us wonderfully. ^__^

mermayd
mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 2:22 am #4

Hello all,

Sorry to hear about your scalp issues. Good thing those things are temporary and that hair grows! Wishing you a happy growing-out journey!

mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 3:24 pm #5

Hello all,

It's so good to see your post, LHG! I wondered how you were doing. I understand why you had to stay away from anything relating to long hair - it must have been a difficult and upsetting period for you
However, I'm happy that your scalp's condition has improved and that you can continue with growing your hair out. I hope you will share your progress regularly with us
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

August 10th, 2017, 6:25 pm #6

Hello all,

I'm sorry about your scalp issue! Glad you are on the mend!

August 29th, 2017, 9:34 pm #7

I have wondered how you were doing. We both underwent manor sheds at the same time but for you it must have been even more traumatic because your hair was so long. I remember your videos of it at knee and it was gorgeous. I'm sorry it has taken this long to recover and that you had scalp issues as well. I hurt for you, knowing what you've been through (I had hoped your hair would have recovered by now) and knowing how traumatic something like this is. Yes, it's just hair, but it's also more than just hair.

I remember when I first cut from 38" back to waist, and then BSL, crying because it would take six years for my hair to recover. More than six years on I'm seeing progress (finally) but I still don't have 'my' hair back. I suspect my age may also be contributing to some of the problem now so I'm aiming for the best hair I can have and trying not to compare it to what I did have.

I look forward to following your journey again.
Thank you, Jules, for your understanding. I am glad you hear that you are having progress.

August 29th, 2017, 9:36 pm #8

and that your scalp is healed. They say that if the scalp is unwell that the follicles are highly affected and even stunted. But, as with all things in our bodies, healing comes. God made us wonderfully. ^__^
Thank you iknit.

August 29th, 2017, 9:37 pm #9

Sorry to hear about your scalp issues. Good thing those things are temporary and that hair grows! Wishing you a happy growing-out journey!

mermayd
Thank you mermayd.

August 29th, 2017, 9:40 pm #10

It's so good to see your post, LHG! I wondered how you were doing. I understand why you had to stay away from anything relating to long hair - it must have been a difficult and upsetting period for you
However, I'm happy that your scalp's condition has improved and that you can continue with growing your hair out. I hope you will share your progress regularly with us
Thank you. Yes, I will post updates as my hair grows. Of course, it will be a long time before my hair is long again!

August 29th, 2017, 9:41 pm #11

I'm sorry about your scalp issue! Glad you are on the mend!
Thank you Babyfine.

Bob
Bob

September 2nd, 2017, 5:34 pm #12

Hello all,

Just to let you know that I am very, VERY sorry about the heartbreak "health" issue that you went through. My wife has never gone through the misfortune of a major shed. Here's hoping for a bright future for you in every way!

Confirmation of reply: