Question about George Michael's tip to brush

Question about George Michael's tip to brush

September 23rd, 2011, 11:29 pm #1

I came across George Michael's tip to brush hair upside down twice per day with a boar's bristle brush. Problem is, I am already losing lots of hair from my thyroid condition--and, I'm a curly girl. Has anyone picked up this brushing habit, and has it helped your hair grow? Or would it be a big waste of time for me? Right now, I don't brush at all because of the curl; I only comb damp hair with a wooden comb or finger comb dry hair.

Thank you!
Debbie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 2009 in Odessa, Ukraine, by the Black Sea

October 2008 (21"); April 2011 (~22.5") BEFORE; April 2011 (~16") AFTER -- now need new pics!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
brown with grays, thinking about henna/indigo
43 years old

[I originally found the Loom and started measuring back in April 2007 (17.5"), but with such thin, scraggly looking hair, I've been so disappointed and have gotten a few big cuts, only reaching 23.5" at the end of September 2010. Now I'm starting all over again!]

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner
weekly ACV/water rinse
EVCO overnight on scalp and ends before washing 1x a week
wooden comb, air drying, some scrunching, not much fussing, no products, no brushing, finger combing between washes

battling autoimmune hypothyroidism and the major shedding it has caused for the last five years or so

Shadow
Shadow

September 24th, 2011, 12:14 am #2

Hi Inch! Welcome back. You probably saw my post below in response to Misty, and I am also a curly girl. I tried the boar bristle brush last fall, and it did nothing except frizz up my hair. Any type of brushing does not work for curlies, so don't spend your money on a brush.

As you might already know, the BBB is supposed to distribute your hair oils down the length. It works for straight-haired people, but it does more harm than good for us curlies.

Happy growing!

~Shadow

September 24th, 2011, 4:55 am #3

It's nice to meet you, Shadow!

Thank you for your helpful response! Very good to know. I already suspected it might not be good for me. Would love to see some pics of your hair and your treatment routine. Do you oil your curls? Still trying to find what works best for my hair.

October 2008 (21"); April 2011 (~22.5") BEFORE; April 2011 (~16") AFTER -- now need new pics!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

[I originally found the Loom and started measuring back in April 2007 (17.5"), but with such thin, scraggly looking hair, I've been so disappointed and have gotten a few big cuts, only reaching 23.5" at the end of September 2010. Now I'm starting all over again!]

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner
weekly ACV/water rinse
wooden comb, air drying, some scrunching, not much fussing, no products, no brushing, finger combing between washes

battling autoimmune hypothyroidism and the major shedding it has caused for the last five years or so

September 24th, 2011, 2:56 pm #4

I came across George Michael's tip to brush hair upside down twice per day with a boar's bristle brush. Problem is, I am already losing lots of hair from my thyroid condition--and, I'm a curly girl. Has anyone picked up this brushing habit, and has it helped your hair grow? Or would it be a big waste of time for me? Right now, I don't brush at all because of the curl; I only comb damp hair with a wooden comb or finger comb dry hair.

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

I can't see how a bbb could benefit a curly head of hair. Even with my super fine mostly straight hair, and even with being extra careful, and using a Mason Pearson bbb, I shed more using a brush. So I rarely do so.

Sometimes when I read about good results about bbb's I get on the bandwagon and start to brush again... That's how it works for me. But there are other ways to benefit your curly hair as it grow longer. Massages and preening are one. After I massage my scalp I preen the ends of my hair with the natural oils that are on my fingertips. I have a bit more oil on my forehead when I wake up in the morning, and this I use also. Of course olive, or coconut oil, works very well too!

Rarely do I brush, perhaps I should more often and would have better results. But like yourself, I have thin hair and I shed too much as it is. So I am hesitant to pick up the brush that often. In fact the only time I comb my hair is right after it is washed, while wet. And then in between washes, sometimes, I use the TT.

Your hair looks so good in your pictures... so full and ready to grow!

elvea rose
1c / ultra fine / i

"...like the soft light of the moon,
silvering over the evening of life."

~a quote by Johann Paul Friedrich Richter

My hopes ~
Tresses to my hips and mock faerie-tale endings,
but what I need is a hefty dose of patience... and tyme!

And this is why...
June '07~ my last color enhancement treatment
March '09~ 23" all natural tresses
December '09~ 26" **first goal**
August '10 to May '11~ 28" **unwittingly kept there**
September '11~ 29 3/4"

Second goal... 30 inches
Third is 33 inches
Lastly... to tag bcl

September 24th, 2011, 3:11 pm #5

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

...years ago. All it does is make everything frizzy. I use an extra-wide-tooth comb/rake in the shower, but that's it. I put some oil on my palms just before braiding my hair at night, and that seems to be enough to keep my hair moisturized. Sometimes I put a little extra on the ends, since they dry out the fastest.

~ Nighean Ruadh ~

26.25/waist/tailbone

September 24th, 2011, 9:59 pm #6

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

I use a BBB almost every day. I flip my hair over and brush following GM's advice. However, I'm a wavy and my hair is quite coarse, so it takes brushing well. Brushing distributes the natural oils, so it's essential in my routine (both for nourishing my length and getting rid of the excess sebum at the roots). Even though brushing straightens out my hair, it's not frizzy due to the sebum. My hair likes brushing, and that's good enough for me

Does it improve hair growth? I don't know. My monthly growth rates depend on factors like stress and climate conditions, so I'm not sure if brushing is a big influence on hair growth. However, it improved the overall health of my hair. And I love the feeling of running a brush through my hair

But I see how brushing can be detrimental for you, given that you are a curly girl. If you want to increase your growth rates, it's important to stimulate the blood circulation of the scalp. That can be done with a scalp massage, so the BBB isn't necessary at all So if you just massage your scalp regularly, the results will come

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

September 25th, 2011, 5:33 pm #7

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

Yesterday I took my daughter to her favorite salon, she wanted a touch up trim and also to dye her beautiful shade of golden honey blonde hair to a darker cocoa brown with subtle highlights... still pretty, but I LOVE her natural color so much. Anyways...

The receptionist has hip length hair, full and thick, beautiful and in very good "health". She also has layering and dyed highlighted hair. Veerry pretty! She told me she brushes her hair everyday to stimulate the growth, trims 1/4 inch off each month... and "it just grows!" She said this so happily.

Maybe being happy is the key!

Now here I go, back to brushing my scalp See it doesn't take much to change my mind. Still, I believe for curly girls, well... you just can't.

elvea rose
1c / ultra fine / i

My hopes ~

And this is why...
September '11~ 29 3/4"

Second goal... 30 inches
Third is 33 inches
Lastly... to tag bcl

September 26th, 2011, 3:36 am #8

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

I don't think that using a BBB on your hair would benefit it at all. I don't know the entire reason he gives out advice to do so, but I have read several articles about how brushing upside down not only distributes oils, but it encourages blood flow to the scalp, which nourishes the hair follicle. Perhaps instead of brushing, you could bend over and do a gentle scalp massage? That would stimulate blood flow without frizzing your hair or causing increased shedding.

1cF/Mii
CO washing most days, shampoo 1 or 2 times a week. Detangler as needed. Deep condition about once a week with jojoba or plain ol' coconut oil. Regularly use coconut oil on ends when the weather is dry. Exfoliate scalp with sugar mixed into cheap conditioner whenever I feel like I need it. Heat styling (dryers/curling iron) used probably 6 times a year only for special occasions.

23/32.25"/tailbone

My hair right about the time I started, I had tried to dye the bleached ends to match the roots, but as you can see from the next pic, the dye didn't hold very long.

November 2008 since I started using cassia. Not much growth since August but I Love the shine I'm getting from the Cassia and it seems to really be protecting my ends

April 2011

September 26th, 2011, 3:03 pm #9

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

I'm in agreement with the other ladies that have posted....

I don't brush mine...at all. I wish I could, because I love the way it feels, the bristles at the scalp and all...

I can run a comb thru mine, if it has been braided while its still damp, and just has braid waves, but it is still tricky, at best.

I don't know what your regimine is for washing, etc. I don't have an oily scalp, so I tend to only wash my hair once a week, and sometimes I go even longer. It definately allows the nautral oils get distributed over the rest of my hair when I do that. I have gone as long as 2 full weeks between washings, which may sound kind of icky, but that second week, with a little bit more of the natural oils on my hair, I can really do some cool braids and buns! Sometimes when my hair is "too clean", I can't do anything with it...LOL

Sorry...got off on a bit of a tangent...

Anyhoo....I would stay away from brushes, if I were you, girlie....stick with widetooth combs and your fingers...those seem to work best for us curlies!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Hair Length: 35.50" (when left curly)
37.00" (when straightened out)

Hair Type: 3cnii
Naturally curly

Goal Length: We'll see how long it will get!

Main Goal: To have my hair be healthy and long

***One hair on the head is worth two in the brush***

Please visit my Etsy shop:http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilverHeelsTradingCo
My Website:http://hotrodangel.webs.com/

September 27th, 2011, 3:29 pm #10

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

ging back and forth on this issue-I used to brush years ago when I was a teen but brushing always caused breakage for me. 'Course I didn't use the right brush back then.
I purchased a boar bristle brush for fine, delicate hair from Morrocco Method some years back and I use it sometimes but I agree with Sara on the scalp massages. My hair is so fine and delicate and wavy that I'm afraid of breakage,so I don't brush much-just try to do scalp massages upside down.

Last edited by Babyfine2008 on September 27th, 2011, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 28th, 2011, 3:42 am #11

I can't see how a bbb could benefit a curly head of hair. Even with my super fine mostly straight hair, and even with being extra careful, and using a Mason Pearson bbb, I shed more using a brush. So I rarely do so.

Sometimes when I read about good results about bbb's I get on the bandwagon and start to brush again... That's how it works for me. But there are other ways to benefit your curly hair as it grow longer. Massages and preening are one. After I massage my scalp I preen the ends of my hair with the natural oils that are on my fingertips. I have a bit more oil on my forehead when I wake up in the morning, and this I use also. Of course olive, or coconut oil, works very well too!

Rarely do I brush, perhaps I should more often and would have better results. But like yourself, I have thin hair and I shed too much as it is. So I am hesitant to pick up the brush that often. In fact the only time I comb my hair is right after it is washed, while wet. And then in between washes, sometimes, I use the TT.

Your hair looks so good in your pictures... so full and ready to grow!

elvea rose
1c / ultra fine / i

My hopes ~

And this is why...
September '11~ 29 3/4"

Second goal... 30 inches
Third is 33 inches
Lastly... to tag bcl
I was just thinking I should do scalp massages instead of brushing. Like you, I lose lots of hair from brushing, and I can't afford to lose so much. I used to take what I think is a natural bristle brush and brush my hair upside down before washing, but wow, did I lose a lot!

I applied a teeny bit of coconut oil to my canopy yesterday. I guess that's my preening! As you can see from my middle picture below, my canopy tends to be flighty. I think the oil helped! I just need to find the right amount and do it regularly.

Thank you for the encouragement about my hair being full and ready to grow. I think I did the right thing by cutting it off, and now maybe it'll grow in better. Hope so!!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water rinse
wanting to start scalp massages
trying extremely light EVCO oiling for flighty canopy

September 28th, 2011, 3:45 am #12

...years ago. All it does is make everything frizzy. I use an extra-wide-tooth comb/rake in the shower, but that's it. I put some oil on my palms just before braiding my hair at night, and that seems to be enough to keep my hair moisturized. Sometimes I put a little extra on the ends, since they dry out the fastest.

~ Nighean Ruadh ~

26.25/waist/tailbone
Love it! Does your hair straighten after being braided? I find my curl doesn't like braids very much. And I think I'll get rid of most of my brushes...I should wash them and give them to my daughters.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water rinse

September 28th, 2011, 3:49 am #13

I use a BBB almost every day. I flip my hair over and brush following GM's advice. However, I'm a wavy and my hair is quite coarse, so it takes brushing well. Brushing distributes the natural oils, so it's essential in my routine (both for nourishing my length and getting rid of the excess sebum at the roots). Even though brushing straightens out my hair, it's not frizzy due to the sebum. My hair likes brushing, and that's good enough for me

Does it improve hair growth? I don't know. My monthly growth rates depend on factors like stress and climate conditions, so I'm not sure if brushing is a big influence on hair growth. However, it improved the overall health of my hair. And I love the feeling of running a brush through my hair

But I see how brushing can be detrimental for you, given that you are a curly girl. If you want to increase your growth rates, it's important to stimulate the blood circulation of the scalp. That can be done with a scalp massage, so the BBB isn't necessary at all So if you just massage your scalp regularly, the results will come

Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
start scalp massages. Increasing circulation to the scalp sounds like a good thing. It's intriguing to me, too, to distribute the sebum into my hair, but I don't know how that would work without brushing. Right now, I'm working on washing my hair only twice a week instead of three times. So far, so good. I don't tend to get greasy hair, though I did as a young teenager.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

September 28th, 2011, 3:50 am #14

Yesterday I took my daughter to her favorite salon, she wanted a touch up trim and also to dye her beautiful shade of golden honey blonde hair to a darker cocoa brown with subtle highlights... still pretty, but I LOVE her natural color so much. Anyways...

The receptionist has hip length hair, full and thick, beautiful and in very good "health". She also has layering and dyed highlighted hair. Veerry pretty! She told me she brushes her hair everyday to stimulate the growth, trims 1/4 inch off each month... and "it just grows!" She said this so happily.

Maybe being happy is the key!

Now here I go, back to brushing my scalp See it doesn't take much to change my mind. Still, I believe for curly girls, well... you just can't.

elvea rose
1c / ultra fine / i

My hopes ~

And this is why...
September '11~ 29 3/4"

Second goal... 30 inches
Third is 33 inches
Lastly... to tag bcl
I like that! Hope the brushing works out for you, Elvea.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

September 28th, 2011, 3:52 am #15

I don't think that using a BBB on your hair would benefit it at all. I don't know the entire reason he gives out advice to do so, but I have read several articles about how brushing upside down not only distributes oils, but it encourages blood flow to the scalp, which nourishes the hair follicle. Perhaps instead of brushing, you could bend over and do a gentle scalp massage? That would stimulate blood flow without frizzing your hair or causing increased shedding.

1cF/Mii
CO washing most days, shampoo 1 or 2 times a week. Detangler as needed. Deep condition about once a week with jojoba or plain ol' coconut oil. Regularly use coconut oil on ends when the weather is dry. Exfoliate scalp with sugar mixed into cheap conditioner whenever I feel like I need it. Heat styling (dryers/curling iron) used probably 6 times a year only for special occasions.

23/32.25"/tailbone

My hair right about the time I started, I had tried to dye the bleached ends to match the roots, but as you can see from the next pic, the dye didn't hold very long.

November 2008 since I started using cassia. Not much growth since August but I Love the shine I'm getting from the Cassia and it seems to really be protecting my ends

April 2011
I think you have something there. Upside down massage instead of upside down brushing. I am ready to try! Now...how often? LOL!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

September 28th, 2011, 3:56 am #16

I'm in agreement with the other ladies that have posted....

I don't brush mine...at all. I wish I could, because I love the way it feels, the bristles at the scalp and all...

I can run a comb thru mine, if it has been braided while its still damp, and just has braid waves, but it is still tricky, at best.

I don't know what your regimine is for washing, etc. I don't have an oily scalp, so I tend to only wash my hair once a week, and sometimes I go even longer. It definately allows the nautral oils get distributed over the rest of my hair when I do that. I have gone as long as 2 full weeks between washings, which may sound kind of icky, but that second week, with a little bit more of the natural oils on my hair, I can really do some cool braids and buns! Sometimes when my hair is "too clean", I can't do anything with it...LOL

Sorry...got off on a bit of a tangent...

Anyhoo....I would stay away from brushes, if I were you, girlie....stick with widetooth combs and your fingers...those seem to work best for us curlies!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Naturally curly

and I definitely use my fingers instead of brushing or combing. I only comb through my hair when it's damp after I wash it. My scalp doesn't seem oily, either, so I'm trying washing only twice a week instead of three times. Today I have four-day hair, and it's not bad, so I'm encouraged. I look forward to having longer hair so I can try some pretty styles like yours. If only I could have "ii" hair instead of "i"--that happened to me a couple of years ago, and I was so tickled. Maybe it'll rebound again.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

September 28th, 2011, 3:58 am #17

ging back and forth on this issue-I used to brush years ago when I was a teen but brushing always caused breakage for me. 'Course I didn't use the right brush back then.
I purchased a boar bristle brush for fine, delicate hair from Morrocco Method some years back and I use it sometimes but I agree with Sara on the scalp massages. My hair is so fine and delicate and wavy that I'm afraid of breakage,so I don't brush much-just try to do scalp massages upside down.

help with growth or condition of your hair? I really want to try them out soon. Like tomorrow morning!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

September 28th, 2011, 1:49 pm #18

Love it! Does your hair straighten after being braided? I find my curl doesn't like braids very much. And I think I'll get rid of most of my brushes...I should wash them and give them to my daughters.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

...straighten a bit when I braid it, especially if it's been a day or two since I last wet it. I find, though, that if I braid it wet, it is still damp when I take it out of the braid. As it continues drying, it curls a LOT. Braiding when wet (or damp) helps the moisture really soak into the hair. I can often revive my curls after braiding by spraying them with water.

~ Nighean Ruadh ~

26.25/waist/tailbone

September 28th, 2011, 2:39 pm #19

help with growth or condition of your hair? I really want to try them out soon. Like tomorrow morning!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

but it's hard to tell as I'm taking such better care of my hair these days as opposed to 20 years or more ago.
I'm doing a lot of things differently like healthy eating, vitamins, ect. My hair seems to retain length better.
Just wish it would get thicker! I Still have a 2" pony- it might be genetic, though.
I'm not as regular with them as I should be, either-I think it's easier to remember to brush.
I'm just afraid that too much brushing will cause breakage for me.

Last edited by Babyfine2008 on September 28th, 2011, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 28th, 2011, 10:45 pm #20

...straighten a bit when I braid it, especially if it's been a day or two since I last wet it. I find, though, that if I braid it wet, it is still damp when I take it out of the braid. As it continues drying, it curls a LOT. Braiding when wet (or damp) helps the moisture really soak into the hair. I can often revive my curls after braiding by spraying them with water.

~ Nighean Ruadh ~

26.25/waist/tailbone

September 28th, 2011, 10:49 pm #21

but it's hard to tell as I'm taking such better care of my hair these days as opposed to 20 years or more ago.
I'm doing a lot of things differently like healthy eating, vitamins, ect. My hair seems to retain length better.
Just wish it would get thicker! I Still have a 2" pony- it might be genetic, though.
I'm not as regular with them as I should be, either-I think it's easier to remember to brush.
I'm just afraid that too much brushing will cause breakage for me.

and I lost a lot of hair while washing afterward. Sigh. Oh, well. I think my scalp needs increased circulation...and I want my hair to grow! Like you, my hair is thin (1.5" ponytail). It got thicker a couple of years ago when I started eating healthfully, but then the added post-adoption stress made me lose a lot more, so I'm back to not much hair. Recently, I haven't lost as much with each shower, so I am encouraged. But today...I may need to do something differently.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 2x a week with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water/infusion rinse
EVCO overnight or for 30 minutes on scalp and ends before washing 1x a week
starting scalp massages
trying extremely light EVCO oiling for flighty canopy when needed

September 29th, 2011, 2:51 pm #22

and I definitely use my fingers instead of brushing or combing. I only comb through my hair when it's damp after I wash it. My scalp doesn't seem oily, either, so I'm trying washing only twice a week instead of three times. Today I have four-day hair, and it's not bad, so I'm encouraged. I look forward to having longer hair so I can try some pretty styles like yours. If only I could have "ii" hair instead of "i"--that happened to me a couple of years ago, and I was so tickled. Maybe it'll rebound again.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

I have never been one to wash my hair multiple times in a week...

When I was little, my hair was down to my rear end, and my mom only washed it once a week, and then applied some V-05 creme (remember that stuff!?!?) to my hair, to make it easier to brush. My hair wasn't as curly then...just wavy. But the once a week washing was fine, and I had long healthy hair.

Then I got the brilliant idea to cut my hair, round about junior high age. Ugh. I had no idea my hair would curl up like it did, and I spent a few years trying to straighten it out, because I hated it! Then I finally figured out how to work with it.

Even now, my hair has several different types of curls...pretty tight at the crown, they get looser down further, and I have some hair right at the back of my neck that is straight as can be. Thankfully, it is under everything else, so you never see it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all go thru stages with our hair, and our hair changes too...the challenge is learning to be at peace with whatever you have!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Naturally curly

September 29th, 2011, 8:31 pm #23

My mom said she used to curl my hair around her finger, giving me ringlets. I think it always had a tendency to curl on the ends, but it has been only wavy or even fairly straight during my life (I'm 43). I think it was about four years ago when my hair decided to be much curlier overall, and I came across Curly Girl, which helped me learn to work with it instead of against it, though I never went "no poo." I did switch to natural shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley, which I love. And I also found the Loom! Living in Colorado, I find my hair is definitely curlier in the wetter season (summer), and when I visited coastal Southern California this summer, it was curl city!

I shared a pic of me at about 9 years old in my response to you in my other thread, if you'd like to see.

My hair is mostly curliest near my neck. I am not too sure what it will look like once I pass about 23 inches...I haven't made it that far yet! Here's a picture of it at 22 inches at Thanksgiving 2008. Sadly, I cut it off about a week later!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 2x a week with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water/infusion rinse
starting scalp massages

September 29th, 2011, 9:08 pm #24

These things take time...your hair will be wonderful, no need to worry....you have a great start already!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Naturally curly

September 29th, 2011, 9:18 pm #25

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

starting scalp massages

September 30th, 2011, 2:35 pm #26

and I lost a lot of hair while washing afterward. Sigh. Oh, well. I think my scalp needs increased circulation...and I want my hair to grow! Like you, my hair is thin (1.5" ponytail). It got thicker a couple of years ago when I started eating healthfully, but then the added post-adoption stress made me lose a lot more, so I'm back to not much hair. Recently, I haven't lost as much with each shower, so I am encouraged. But today...I may need to do something differently.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

starting scalp massages

That too vigorous of scalp massages can cause shedding for me,too. I usually now try to be gentle about it just moving the scalp around rather than rubbing.
I'm not as regular about it as I should be, either, so I don't even know if it works.
I flip my head over to scrunch my curls as I'm air drying so I'm thinking maybe even that blood rush to the scalp should help!!

October 1st, 2011, 1:25 am #27

flip my head over more often for that blood rush, LOL! Hey, I'm sure it can't hurt my hair growth.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

starting scalp massages

October 21st, 2011, 12:55 pm #28

Thank you!
Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

If I did all that brushing, I wouldn't have any hair.

Confirmation of reply: