Newbie!

Newbie!

April 9th, 2012, 3:08 am #1

Wow...so I had no idea there were message boards for people growing out their hair! How exciting!
Well I am a year into growing...and I am definitely open for advice! I have had spikes or very short hair for over 10 years and I was tired of it....so I decided to grow it out. My hair in HS was down to my bra strap, and I would like to get there...or longer. Waist lengh would be incredible! I don't use products or heat, so I am good there. And I just got my first trim in a year a few weeks ago. My main problem right now is not only tips for growth, but also how to trim. Since it was in spikes, the back is far longer than the sides. The recent trim helped a bit, but it's still very noticably different. At one time do I get it all trimmed the same?
And my other question is what to do about very dry scalp. I have a scalp that is very thick with flakes, even with dandriff shampoo. I know that shampooing daily is hard on the oils, so I do it every other day, but by the end of day two..my hair is SLICK with grease. Oy...dry skin, oily hair! What a combo! Any tips?
I love the boar hairbrush idea...I will get one ASAP. I have been using a round brush, but it looks like that is not a great idea.
I have definitly noticed a difference in my hair since my youth. It was once much curlier and thick, and has now gone much staighter and thinner. Not terrible, but definatly noticable.
Oh and gosh...I am 33. I live in Baltimore Maryland. I work in recreation therapy and I have a ton of wonderful pets!Hi!

[/IMG]

April 9th, 2012, 4:07 am #2

For future trimming...It just depends on whether you want all one length shorter hair, or trim more slowly the back, so sides catch up. People do it different ways. Happy growing, and enjoy the board.

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse.
Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

April 9th, 2012, 12:42 pm #3

Wow...so I had no idea there were message boards for people growing out their hair! How exciting!
Well I am a year into growing...and I am definitely open for advice! I have had spikes or very short hair for over 10 years and I was tired of it....so I decided to grow it out. My hair in HS was down to my bra strap, and I would like to get there...or longer. Waist lengh would be incredible! I don't use products or heat, so I am good there. And I just got my first trim in a year a few weeks ago. My main problem right now is not only tips for growth, but also how to trim. Since it was in spikes, the back is far longer than the sides. The recent trim helped a bit, but it's still very noticably different. At one time do I get it all trimmed the same?
And my other question is what to do about very dry scalp. I have a scalp that is very thick with flakes, even with dandriff shampoo. I know that shampooing daily is hard on the oils, so I do it every other day, but by the end of day two..my hair is SLICK with grease. Oy...dry skin, oily hair! What a combo! Any tips?
I love the boar hairbrush idea...I will get one ASAP. I have been using a round brush, but it looks like that is not a great idea.
I have definitly noticed a difference in my hair since my youth. It was once much curlier and thick, and has now gone much staighter and thinner. Not terrible, but definatly noticable.
Oh and gosh...I am 33. I live in Baltimore Maryland. I work in recreation therapy and I have a ton of wonderful pets!Hi!

[/IMG]
I hope you will love it here I'm also looking forward to hanging out with you!

So, you started your journey about a year ago. As I see in your siggy pictures, you had a lot of progress in a year. Your hair looks very shiny and healthy Both BSL and waist are realistic goals, and I'm sure that you can reach them both. From what I've read, you're gently treating your hair, and that's the most important thing.

Regarding trimming - I'm sorry, I don't have any clever advice, except maybe to find a trustworthy stylist who will carefully trim for you and respect your plan to grow out your hair. I don't think Feye's self-trimming method will work on your length... so you will have to wait until you can trim your own hair. I believe you will be able to employ that self-trimming method when your hair gets long enough to be put in front, over your shoulders.

As for the washing... It's possible that your scalp feels dry because the shampoo strips away the sebum, and then your scalp looks to get into balance again by overproducing oils. I don't know which shampoo you use, but it wouldn't hurt to dilute your shampoo and try washing like that. Chances are, your scalp will detect that it's being less stripped off, so your overall oil production will lower.
BBBs are an excellent means to transfer sebum off your scalp and onto the length. Brushing with a pure bristle brush can really help in distributing the oils throughout your hair, so you will be able to stretch your washes. I hope a BBB will work for you Whether or not it will work depends on your hair type. I hope you will type your hair soon, so you could pinpoint more easily what could work out for your hair.

Anyway, I hope this helps Welcome once again, and feel free to post!

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

April 11th, 2012, 4:57 am #4

[/IMG]
Wow your hair is shiny! As Ohtawen said, you've had good growth. I'm not sure if I can help with your dry scalp/oily hair issue. I do wonder if perhaps your shampoo is too harsh. Diluting it or switching to a gentler shampoo might work. I don't know what shampoo you're using, but I've found a lot of dandruff shampoos are pretty harsh on the scalp. The other thing to avoid, is conditioner on the scalp. If you use it, only apply from the ears down (I only apply from the shoulders down). An acidic rinse might help with the scalp issue too - either apple cider vinegar, plain white vinegar or lemon juice in water (experiment with amounts but if you start with about 2 tablespoons to 4 cups of water and see how that goes).

As for trimming ... I don't think it's as noticeable as you seem to think it is. Yes, it's shorter in the front, but I've had my hair cut that way deliberately when it was about mid back because it sat nicer that way. If it's not bothering you too much, I'd leave it until it gets longer. You might find that with some length, it's very flattering. If not, then you can trim to one length or into a gentle U shape.

Again, welcome. I hope you find lots of information you can use and make some friends along the way.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Oil lightly before washing with a mix of olive, coconut, avocado and almond oils. Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). A'kin conditioner on the ends when I feel it needs it.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; S&D when I think of it; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

April 14th, 2012, 12:51 pm #5

[/IMG]
Congratulations on the growth that you have already had, your hair looks very shiny. Achieving waist length and bsl are good goals to have and you will be surprised at how quickly you get there.
As for the layers, I had the same problem. Personally, I wasnt willing to sacrifice too much length so I kept the trimming to a minimum until it reached a level I was happy to cut all my layers to the same place. Hope this helps

2a/F/ii
Original Length: 24inch July 2011
Achieved first goal 27inch in January 2012
Current Length: 27inch
Second Length Goal: 29 inch
Final Length Goal: (31 Waist)

Routine:
*CWC method and scalp washing with Faith shampoo
*Mason Pearson BBB nightly
*Oiled with jojoba and braided nightly
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

April 15th, 2012, 2:12 am #6

so lovely to meet you:) best of luck to you:)

1bfii
2/2012- 28 inches,
GOAL 1- 31 inches by July 2012 (wedding day!)
Long term goal: Classic Length

Aubrey Organics Shampoo and Conditioner
ACV rinses with rosemary and lavender
Aubrey Organics Nustyle detangler and shine booster
Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil, jojoba oil with rosemary EO and 100% Argan Oil on ends
Deep conditioning with virgin coconut oil
Pureed Fresh Avocado as a hair mask every month (leave on for 30 min.)
Biotin and Prenatal vitamins
daily scalp massages
MP rake comb, BB brush before bed
(still a proud nursing mama!)
http://bendingbirches2010.blogspot.com/

April 18th, 2012, 5:23 pm #7

[/IMG]
Hi there and welcome to the Loom!

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Hair Length: 36.25" (when left curly)
37.00" (when straightened out)

Hair Type: 3cnii
Naturally curly

Goal Length: We'll see how long it will get!

Main Goal: To have my hair be healthy and long

***One hair on the head is worth two in the brush***

Please visit my Etsy shop:http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilverHeelsTradingCo
My Website:http://hotrodangel.webs.com/

Confirmation of reply: