New here...lots of questions!

New here...lots of questions!

April 19th, 2012, 8:22 pm #1

Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself and I have a number of questions that I would really appreciate if you might be able to help me with.

My name is Kat and about two years ago I decided to grow my hair. I cut it to chin length to rid damage and dye and decided to swap previous dying for 2 step hendigo. I did a lot of reading and lurked on some websites such as this one and tried to improve my hair care regime.

Unfortunately the only routine I have really kept up is hendigo, taking vitamins and tiny trims about every 12 weeks (ends seem to need it then). It has now grown from chin length to just above BSL but for some time it hasn't seemed to get any further and I experience a lot of shedding. I know I should be doing more (including getting rid of hair dryers and straighteners, sigh...) and that this might help as I don't think this is my terminal hair length at all and if its genetics, my mum's hair seems to grow quite fast. When I was a child it was about waist length although to be honest since being an adult it has never been longer than BSL.

So I have a few questions which it would be great if you could help me with, I have read lots but there's so much info it's hard to take in!

1. Which oils do you use and what is your oiling regime?
2. Which shampoos/conditioners do you use/recommend particularly for moisture and damage repair (especially if in UK)
3. How do you wear your hair at night
4. Are there any other things you can recommend to improve health, thickness and growth?
5. Is there anything you can recommend to decrease shedding?
6. Do you deep condition, if so, how often, and do you just use oil for this or a special conditioner?

My goal is only to grow it another 3 or 4 inches, like between BSL and waistline, and improve thickness, so I think surely as I don't want it massively long I should be able to achieve this! Ideally I want a routine that is fairly simple and easy-ish to maintain...

Thank you for your help and I am sorry for all of the questions and the long post.

K x

April 19th, 2012, 9:29 pm #2

Check my signature for my routine, nothing fancy. Best advice, ditch the hot iron!

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse.
Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

April 19th, 2012, 10:27 pm #3

Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself and I have a number of questions that I would really appreciate if you might be able to help me with.

My name is Kat and about two years ago I decided to grow my hair. I cut it to chin length to rid damage and dye and decided to swap previous dying for 2 step hendigo. I did a lot of reading and lurked on some websites such as this one and tried to improve my hair care regime.

Unfortunately the only routine I have really kept up is hendigo, taking vitamins and tiny trims about every 12 weeks (ends seem to need it then). It has now grown from chin length to just above BSL but for some time it hasn't seemed to get any further and I experience a lot of shedding. I know I should be doing more (including getting rid of hair dryers and straighteners, sigh...) and that this might help as I don't think this is my terminal hair length at all and if its genetics, my mum's hair seems to grow quite fast. When I was a child it was about waist length although to be honest since being an adult it has never been longer than BSL.

So I have a few questions which it would be great if you could help me with, I have read lots but there's so much info it's hard to take in!

2. Which shampoos/conditioners do you use/recommend particularly for moisture and damage repair (especially if in UK)
4. Are there any other things you can recommend to improve health, thickness and growth?
6. Do you deep condition, if so, how often, and do you just use oil for this or a special conditioner?

My goal is only to grow it another 3 or 4 inches, like between BSL and waistline, and improve thickness, so I think surely as I don't want it massively long I should be able to achieve this! Ideally I want a routine that is fairly simple and easy-ish to maintain...

Thank you for your help and I am sorry for all of the questions and the long post.

K x
And welcome! You might be new here, but you are certainly not new to hair care as we know it Getting your hair from chin to BSL is a great achievement. Also, when it comes to hair care, sometimes less is more. Some people's hair thrives on benign neglect. So you don't have to feel guilty if you are not fussing about your hair all of the time.

However, Lace is right - cutting down on the heat appliances is a good way to go. It's possible that your hair grows by your usual rate, but it happens to break off at the ends, leaving you with the impression that your hair isn't growing as it used to. I too don't think that you are at terminal, for most people can grow out their hair to great lengths with the right regime.
That said... we don't know what do you do to prevent damage, and we don't know your hair type. The latter is important because you can look into the routines of ladies who have a similar hair type and find things that will probably work for you too. I've mentioned the former because growing out hair, as you know, is a process that depends more on how you handle your hair, rather than the products you use.

But I'm aware that products can sometimes be linked to shedding, although we can't say for certain if products are solely responsible for the shedding you're experiencing. Have you recently changed your shampoo/conditioner/anything you use on your scalp and noticed the shedding? If so, then your current products may be the culprits. But if that's not the case, there may be more explanations. Some of them of medical nature. If your shedding is concerning you, you should go to a doctor and have your blood levels checked, and your thyroid. Those are the first things that pop into my mind when it comes to shedding as symptoms of illnesses. But I don't mean to frighten you It could also be that you are at a certain age when you shed more - that's a hypothesis of the late doctor George Michael. I can't remember at the moment which ages are those, but he'd said that at those ages, women shed more hair naturally. So don't worry.

Oh my, I've rambled quite a lot already, but I will answer some of your numbered questions

1) I use coconut oil. Whenever my ends feel dry, I apply some coconut oil, and sometimes to my scalp as well, if I feel dryness or simply need more grip to my braids or updos. I don't have an oiling regime, it all depends on how my hair feels.

2) I'm not from the UK, so I don't know what have you got I hope our British girls will help you out there.

3) I wear my hair in a plain English braid most nights. Here and there I might let it down, but I can get away with it, since my hair is heavy and doesn't move all that much. But having it in a braid is my preferred method.

4) Well, I don't know if we can speak of things that universally bolster hair growth, but many people swear by castor oil, which is reported to improve growth. Scalp massages are also a good idea. Increasing the blood flow to the scalp may improve hair growth. Brushing your hair with a BBB is great, providing that your hair likes brushing

5) I would first suggest looking into the things I've written about in the paragraph above

6) I'm not the right person to answer this, as I don't use conditioner. However, I'm sure the ladies will chime in with more helpful advice.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with this block of text. Again, I'm so glad that you've joined us, and I hope you will hang out often here. Happy growing!

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

April 21st, 2012, 2:19 am #4

Hi all,

K x
I'll see if I can answer your questions.

1. I use a mix of olive, almond and avocado. Occasionally I'll use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment but it's not my favourite oil. I started with olive and loved it, and then switched to almond which is lighter than olive. I added avocado when I started using it on my skin. If I had to choose just one it would be almond.

2. Nothing will repair damage but there are milder shampoos and conditioners that will not make it worse. Personally it all comes down to what you like. Others with the same hair type might be able to offer suggestions. I prefer natural products so I use A'Kin (also known as Al'chemy). Go here to find a stockist in your area:http://www.purist.com/where-to-buy-international/ I also love shampoo bars which I buy online. There are a number of online shops where you can purchase these (and there's a link in my siggy for one).

3. Usually in a braid. I always used to wear it out and it never bothered me but since wearing it in a braid, if I leave it out at night I keep waking up to move it out of my way. I do try to put it over the top of the pillow but a braid is so much easier.

4. You might like to try some deep conditioning treatments - either a homemade recipe or a commercial products - that you apply and add heat and then wash out. And perhaps use the iron only on special occasions.

5. I'm very familiar with shedding - far more familiar than I'd like to be. It's been a stage in my hair journey that I would rather have not experienced. Shedding - more than 150 hairs per day - can be caused by stress, a change in diet, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal changes, or illness. If it's been going on longer than 3 months and you can't pinpoint anything that has caused it, I'd definitely get it looked into by a doctor. Caffeine applied to the scalp reportedly helps with hair loss. Increased protein in the diet might also help. However, any underlying causes must first be dealt with. I also found shampoo bars helped me and that rosemary makes me shed more - so a hair journal can be helpful.

6. Not as often as I should. Anything left on my scalp for too long will cause increased shedding so I tend not to do it. I do use a lot of herbal teas as my finishing rinse which along with gentle care helps to keep my hair healthy.

Finally, if your hair has been longer in the past then I'm sure you can grow it long again. I suspect that if your hair isn't growing, that it could be breaking off due to the use of dryers and straighteners. It's possible that once you ditch the appliances that you'll notice an improvement.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.)

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

April 21st, 2012, 5:32 am #5

Hi all,

K x
Your hair sounds rather like mine. Except I'm growing out chemical damage, my hair is too fluffy short.

I also am working up the nerve to get rid of my flat iron. NP blow dryer as that just made my hair bigger.

Oils, I like argan, grapeseed and sweet almond. Coconut oil is ok, but I prefer it more to slick down fuzzy spots as it doesn't spread as well. My hair loves cocoa and shea butters.

I don't use shampoo, got conditioner instead by mistake years ago, had to wash my hair, figured my hair at least wouldn't stink and I'd pull back the greasy mess. Only, no mess and half the fuzzy explosion of normal. I use whatever heavy conditioners on my length, then whatever Suave or VO5 smells good on my scalp. Rinse, glop on a few palmfuls of my current favorite, do my shower duties, rinse, acidic rinse, then work in some dilute favored conditioner usually mixed with a glop of honey and similar amount of oil. Right now, my favorite is older Garnier three oil stuff. Not as fond of the new. My grumpy hair standby is Biolage Conditioning Balm knock off from Sally's Beauty Supply.

Sleep, I flip my hair loose over a satin scarf and let it drape and air dry. If not washing, I usually just leave it in it's braid.

Deep treatment as my hair is being annoying. Always start with egg, yogurt, oil mix for an hour, then equal parts aloe juice, grapeseed oil, honey mixed with 2-3 times a cone free heavy conditioner, best results for me are from the Sally's stuff. Wrap up the mess, keep head warm, keep on as long as I can stand.

I'm not exact with anything. I just glop whatever smells nice on and hope it works. Some days are better than others, but nothing is consistent for more than a day. I do the same things that made my hair really nice last week, today it's a mess.

Nice to meet you!

Hannah

April 21st, 2012, 12:26 pm #6

Hi all,

K x
Firstly, congratulations on reaching BSL, that is an achievement in itself.

1. Oils: I currently use coconut oil on my hair the night before I wash it as preconditioning thing. I use jojoba to calm down fuzzy ends when I need a little bit more than aloe vera gel.
2. I am in the UK and I have been through a few organic/natural/ sls free shampoos. I have used faith, organic surge, naked (from boots) and I am currently using skin blossom.
However I also know of tara smith (tesco), green people, avalon organics, Lush shampoo bar "squeaky clean", Artekram, Lavera, Weleda. You can buy most of these brands here www.lovelula.com (free uk shipping) I dont know what type of hair you have and so can't recommend a specific type but im sure you can flick through these ones I have suggested and try a few
3. I wear my hair in an english braid as its very fine and gets damaged so easily. I then oil the ends and sleep
4. The best things I can recommend are make sure that you are eating a good diet - your health is reflected in the condition of your hair. Also be gentle with your hair - invest in a wide tooth comb (Body shop's wooden wide tooth one is amazing). If you can ditch your hair dryer and straighteners, it will be the best thing you can do for your hair. Oiling helps a lot with keeping your hair healthy aswel. Micro trimming and search and destroy will also help keep your hair looking its best.
5. I find I shed less when I only comb my hair and treat it gently.
6. I deep condition one a month before I do my search and destroy I will cover my hair with a mixture of egg, oils (depending on your preference), and essential oils (lavender and rosemary) and then leave it for as long as possible...

you will have those 3-4 inches before you know it
Hope this helps

2a/F/ii
Original Length: 24inch July 2011
Achieved first goal 27inch in January 2012
Current Length: 27inch
Second Length Goal: 29 inch
Final Length Goal: (31 Waist)

Routine:
*CWC method and scalp washing
*Mason Pearson BBB nightly
*Oiled with jojoba and braided nightly
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

SirenK
SirenK

April 21st, 2012, 2:55 pm #7

Hi all,

K x
Thank you to everybody that has replied for being so welcoming and helping with my questions!
It has all been very useful.

Ohtawen, I think you are correct, my hair is growing but seems to disappear before any new length occurs as I see my natural roots come out between hendigo applications and recently my trusted hairdresser also said he thought it was growing as I had lots of new fuzzies on my scalp. I thought it was terminal as it never has seemed to get longer than this length during adulthood, but then in the past I have abused it quite a lot and only improved in the last two years.

It seems to get thinner the last inch or so and it has been like this for a while, certainly with my last few hairdresser trips (I go every 12 weeks at the moment for tiny trim as it needs it). So obviously still need to improve my regime as thought!

Well I decided to invest in aubrey organics in the end as I heard so much about it. I also have now got amla oil, coconut oil, and I think I will buy jojoba as well. I will probably have the thin ends trimmed off in a few weeks (about an inch) as a fresh start to welcome in my new regime.

This week I did some oiling, slept in a braid and hardly used hair tools, and I think these will be my main changes. I also need to keep an eye on my diet too I think as it can be erratic.

I have just a couple final questions about oiling:

1. Is it ok to mix up oil application and not wash in between? One morning I put amla on and the next morning a bit of coconut and didn't wash in between. I am guessing this is ok as I know many ladies make mixes of various oils to apply at once.
2. When oiling at night for a deep oil (which I am doing tonight!) do you have any particular techniques?
3. Does anybody follow a particular diet that they think is beneficial to their hair? I know about some of the good vitamins and have been taking a multivitamin for some time but would appreciate advice on any actual food types.

I think that is it for now really

Thanks again
K

SirenK
SirenK

April 21st, 2012, 3:05 pm #8

Hi all,

K x
Oh yes I forgot to say...

I will also start doing the CWC method. I have always shampooed all my hair including lengths twice every time I wash it (normally twice a week) and didn't even think about the fact that shampoo is quite strong!

And in regards to shedding, it has always seemed to shed a fair amount, but perhaps because it is black I think it is worse than it is. But I partly think it is just due to how I treat it. For example the last time I used a straightener, a few hairs were shed afterwards on my table. I think that says it all really. My diet isn't always fantastic (although I expect nobody can claim to have a perfect diet) but I think the abuse probably plays a big part.

Thanks again I will make a signature soon with all my info and figure out my hair type too!

April 23rd, 2012, 2:56 pm #9

Hi all,

K x
Hope you enjoy your time here. These lovely ladies have some wonderful advice. Welcome aboard !!

1B,F,ii Auburn, strawberry blonde and white - natural color
Ojon damage restorative shampoo and conditioner
Kerastase Mask for fine hair twice a month
Kerastase Elixir Ultime
Mason Pearson Detangler comb
Last edited by duneseeker on April 23rd, 2012, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: