My paranda/parandi

My paranda/parandi

May 6th, 2012, 5:15 pm #1

A while ago Jules posted pics of her gorgeous bun with a parandi/paranda braided in. I wanted to make one too, but just today I got around and made one. And I must thank you, Jules, for making your thread and linking the instructions, because you informed me about one of the coolest things ever!

My paranda is not bulky - has 6 strands each - and I had no trouble braiding it in my hair, and braiding all the way down to my (puny)ends.

But what really made me happy was the braided bun I made. It was self-stabilizing! This bun contains no pins whatsoever:

I usually have to put a few pins into my braided buns to keep them from collapsing, since my braid is not sufficiently long to achieve that self-stabilizing effect. But with this extended tail, that's not necessary

Okay, I'll stop gushing now. I just want to encourage everyone who has some yarn lying around to try and make one of these. You won't be sorry!

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

May 7th, 2012, 12:09 am #2

Looks wonderful in your hair!

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse. Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

May 7th, 2012, 1:21 am #3

....I have ridiculous amounts of yarn strewn about....I'll be sure to try this!

1bfii
2/2012- 28 inches,
GOAL 1- 31 inches by July 2012 (wedding day!)
Long term goal: Classic Length

Aubrey Organics Shampoo and Conditioner
ACV rinses with rosemary and lavender
Aubrey Organics Nustyle detangler and shine booster
Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil, jojoba oil with rosemary EO and 100% Argan Oil on ends
Deep conditioning with virgin coconut oil
Pureed Fresh Avocado as a hair mask every month (leave on for 30 min.)
Biotin and Prenatal vitamins
daily scalp massages
MP rake comb, BB brush before bed
(still a proud nursing mama!)
http://bendingbirches2010.blogspot.com/

May 7th, 2012, 5:58 am #4

A while ago Jules posted pics of her gorgeous bun with a parandi/paranda braided in. I wanted to make one too, but just today I got around and made one. And I must thank you, Jules, for making your thread and linking the instructions, because you informed me about one of the coolest things ever!

My paranda is not bulky - has 6 strands each - and I had no trouble braiding it in my hair, and braiding all the way down to my (puny)ends.

But what really made me happy was the braided bun I made. It was self-stabilizing! This bun contains no pins whatsoever:

I usually have to put a few pins into my braided buns to keep them from collapsing, since my braid is not sufficiently long to achieve that self-stabilizing effect. But with this extended tail, that's not necessary

Okay, I'll stop gushing now. I just want to encourage everyone who has some yarn lying around to try and make one of these. You won't be sorry!

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
great in your hair. I know what you mean about it stablising your bun. It really does make a difference.

I took my parandi out when my granddaughters were here and the eldest wanted it in her hair. I did a braid and then just kept braiding the yarn when the hair ran out. She thought it was wonderful because she now had this braid that came almost to her knees and could pretend that she had really long hair. It was fun to see her swishing it about.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

May 7th, 2012, 3:15 pm #5

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
I really like the way it makes a bun look!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Hair Length: 36.25" (when left curly)
37.00" (when straightened out)

Hair Type: 3cnii
Naturally curly

Goal Length: We'll see how long it will get!

Main Goal: To have my hair be healthy and long

***One hair on the head is worth two in the brush***

Please visit my Etsy shop:http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilverHeelsTradingCo
My Website:http://hotrodangel.webs.com/

May 7th, 2012, 5:27 pm #6

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
I went and looked at Jules' original post and hers is pretty too. What a lovely idea. I wonder if I have any yarn around my house. Ooooh, it's so pretty, Ohtawen! I like the sound of 'self-stabilization' too. I'm going to read the thread at the other forum now...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because
people who mind don't matter and people who
matter don't mind."
~Dr. Seuss
Age 52
Hair color: Icy silver on sides, silver and charcoal to BSL, auburn toward end.
1b M ii
24"/49.5"/Cruising toward crook-of-the-knee.
Current fave oil: Olive
Shampoo: Shiny Silver, Denorex, Dove Intensive Repair
Madora comb with two teeth broken off.
Wash almost every day because of a horse and Zumba.
Lil's blog:
http://alittlegrace.blogspot.com/

MermaidTresses1133
MermaidTresses1133

May 7th, 2012, 6:18 pm #7

..link to the post with the tutorial?

May 7th, 2012, 8:46 pm #8

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
I forgot that I had wanted to try this out goes off rummaging for wool

Lovely contrast of the pink against your hair

2a/F/ii
Original Length: 24inch July 2011
Achieved first goal 27inch in January 2012
Current Length: 27inch
Second Length Goal: 29 inch
Final Length Goal: (31 Waist)

Routine:
*CWC method and scalp washing
*Mason Pearson BBB nightly
*Oiled with jojoba and braided nightly
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember

May 8th, 2012, 7:30 am #9

to the post on the Loom:http://www.network54.com/Forum/235232/t ... aided+Buns

There's another longer one over at TLHC. It was titled "Show me your paranda/parandi" I think.

2a/M/ii
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

My Website

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

May 8th, 2012, 8:57 am #10

Looks wonderful in your hair!

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse. Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts
Lace, thanks so much for your comment! You are very sweet

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs

May 8th, 2012, 8:59 am #11

1bfii
2/2012- 28 inches,

Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil, jojoba oil with rosemary EO and 100% Argan Oil on ends
daily scalp massages

If you can, try this out! It's a fun way to spice up a standard braided, with the bonus of additional length. And if you can, post pics

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

May 8th, 2012, 9:01 am #12

great in your hair. I know what you mean about it stablising your bun. It really does make a difference.

I took my parandi out when my granddaughters were here and the eldest wanted it in her hair. I did a braid and then just kept braiding the yarn when the hair ran out. She thought it was wonderful because she now had this braid that came almost to her knees and could pretend that she had really long hair. It was fun to see her swishing it about.

2a/M/ii

My Website

I really have to thank you, Jules, once again for introducing this clever accessory to me I'm most happy with it.
I can totally understand your granddaughter's enthusiasm. I can even imagine myself wearing a knee length braid, but I'd sure be blissed out to have it, even for a day.

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

May 8th, 2012, 9:04 am #13

I really like the way it makes a bun look!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Hair Length: 36.25" (when left curly)
37.00" (when straightened out)

Hair Type: 3cnii
Naturally curly

Goal Length: We'll see how long it will get!

Main Goal: To have my hair be healthy and long

***One hair on the head is worth two in the brush***

Please visit my Etsy shop:http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilverHeelsTradingCo
My Website:http://hotrodangel.webs.com/

I'd sure like to see how would a paranda look in your hair I believe that would be a better sight than mine!

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

May 8th, 2012, 9:07 am #14

I went and looked at Jules' original post and hers is pretty too. What a lovely idea. I wonder if I have any yarn around my house. Ooooh, it's so pretty, Ohtawen! I like the sound of 'self-stabilization' too. I'm going to read the thread at the other forum now...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because
people who mind don't matter and people who
matter don't mind."
~Dr. Seuss
Age 52
Hair color: Icy silver on sides, silver and charcoal to BSL, auburn toward end.
1b M ii
24"/49.5"/Cruising toward crook-of-the-knee.
Current fave oil: Olive
Shampoo: Shiny Silver, Denorex, Dove Intensive Repair
Madora comb with two teeth broken off.
Wash almost every day because of a horse and Zumba.
Lil's blog:
http://alittlegrace.blogspot.com/

Lil, you are very kind And if you have some extra yarn, this is an excellent way to use it up! The scarf bun in your siggy is so pretty, so I know that a braided bun with a paranda will look great on you. And you don't have to worry about damaging your scarf. This kind of braids holds itself when wrapped around a stick

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

May 8th, 2012, 9:11 am #15

were on Habioku's site:

http://sites.google.com/site/habioku/ho ... t-yourself

If I'm not wrong, Habioku is the starter of the original thread at LHC. Hope this helps

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

May 8th, 2012, 9:13 am #16

I forgot that I had wanted to try this out goes off rummaging for wool

Lovely contrast of the pink against your hair

2a/F/ii
Original Length: 24inch July 2011
Achieved first goal 27inch in January 2012
Current Length: 27inch
Second Length Goal: 29 inch
Final Length Goal: (31 Waist)

Routine:
*CWC method and scalp washing
*Mason Pearson BBB nightly
*Oiled with jojoba and braided nightly
*Monthly deep condition
*S+D when I remember
I'm glad that you were reminded. I'd really like to see a paranda/parandi in your hair - I bet it would look gorgeous.
Oh, and thank you for the compliment You are such a dear!

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

May 8th, 2012, 2:01 pm #17

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
That looks really beautiful, and I love that it is simple too! I have tons of yarn. I need to go check out that link!!

My long hair albumhttp://public.fotki.com/jen5972/?cmd=neweditalbum

My blog:http://jen5972.blogspot.com/

My Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/JenniferS42394?feature=mhee

Some of my favorite Products:
Trader Joes Nourish conditioner
Giovanni Nutrafix conditioner
Burt's Bees Avacado Butter Hair Treatment
Silk Drops
Apricot Kernel Oil/Almond Oil mix
Jojoba oil
Avrilon's recipe for detangler

May 8th, 2012, 8:27 pm #18

for your sweet words! By all means, if you can, make a paranda and try it out. I'm sure you will like the pop of color it brings to a bun

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

Jeepgrlnj
Jeepgrlnj

May 12th, 2012, 2:11 am #19

1bfii
2/2012- 28 inches,

daily scalp massages

Where did you get that yellow rose that you are wearing in your hair in your signature picture?

Fox

May 15th, 2012, 5:49 am #20

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
I want to make one of these soon!

-Fox

January 2010
Special thanks to Carlynn for my custom doll signature!
17/32.75/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:<a href="">http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>
My Journal: <a href="">http://www.longhairloom.com/foxjournal.htm> Faithfully Fox </a>

Want custom sticks? Please visit: Sticks and Stones, Hairsticks by Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

"Love makes you beautiful" - quote from my nephew at age 7

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars

Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners

Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)

MP Popular Mix Brush and Pure BB brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

May 16th, 2012, 10:44 am #21

try to make one of these. They are really a great, practical way to give a braided bun some extra oomph. I'm sure you will like them

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

Fox

May 17th, 2012, 6:17 am #22

At least in my hair!

-Fox

January 2010
Special thanks to Carlynn for my custom doll signature!
17/32.75/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:<a href="">http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>
My Journal: <a href="">http://www.longhairloom.com/foxjournal.htm> Faithfully Fox </a>

Want custom sticks? Please visit: Sticks and Stones, Hairsticks by Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

"Love makes you beautiful" - quote from my nephew at age 7

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars

Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners

Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)

MP Popular Mix Brush and Pure BB brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

Confirmation of reply: