My hopes and fears with henna.

My hopes and fears with henna.

November 10th, 2015, 6:21 pm #1

Hopes:

1. thicker, stronger, shinier hair.
2. free from chemicals and toxins
3. ability to grow my fine hair longer(see #1)

Fears:

1. getting the wrong color and having it be permanent
2. shedding-both with rinsing out and in general. I've seen enough of it since I've been around the long hair
boards, some people start shedding a lot, especially with later applications(too much weight)
3. having to Do it myself. Basically why I haven't dipped my toe in the henna pond yet.
4. Side effects like headaches,green pee, ect.
5. Getting a color to dark or too red and having it permanent until it grows out.
6. Being less able to gracefully grow out my grey if that's what I decide to do.

I know no one here can tell me what I should do, just thinking aloud basically.
With the demi color I use now(every 3 months) If I decide to grow out my greying hair or go lighter it would be easier.
the color has pretty much faded by the time I go back to get it touched up.

I have considered Lush henna, I could get it applied at the Lush store(3 hours away!) although I'd have to rinse it out.
and I've read that it fades, rather quickly, for henna anyway.

Last edited by Babyfine2008 on November 10th, 2015, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 12th, 2015, 8:37 am #2

I enjoyed henna when I had only a few greys but when they started multiplying, we parted ways. In my opinion, henna never looks natural over grey hairs and if you have a lot, you are going to get orange. I used herbal henna which is henna mixed with other colourants such as walnut dye and I still got an orange tinge on my greys. Some lights were worse than others but it definitely looked fake to me and even weird.

From your list, this is what I experienced:

Hopes
1. Shinier hair, yes, but no noticeable difference with the health and strength;
2. Enjoyed freedom from chemicals and toxins but experienced allergic reactions to the henna 'dust' and had to wear a mask whenever I applied henna;
3. My hair was at its longest when I used henna but my health related shed changed all that. Whether henna helped me get there or not is debatable.

Fears:

1. Definitely a possibility. Henna is tricky because it is like a glaze over your natural hair and so many things can affect how it turns out. Every application was scary in its own way;
2. The shedding was scary and is another reason I won't use henna again - and this from someone who had hair tending towards the thick side;
3. Actually this was kind of fun but also time consuming;
4. Yes to headache (and hay fever). No to the other;
5. And 6. This is why I used herbal henna because it did fade quicker than BAQ henna and it made the transition to grey easier. However, some areas that had received multiple applications were more permanent. And long term henna users have reported that henna gets redder and redder with each application.

As you said, no one can decide for you, but it sounds to me that the demi you use is working for you so the only reason I can see for you changing is to avoid the chemicals. I understand that (it's why I don't dye) but I'm not sure if henna is the answer. I have a box in my cupboard and sometimes I'm tempted, but then I remind myself of all the reasons why I gave it up and it's easy to resist the temptation.

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.)

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

November 12th, 2015, 5:14 pm #3

Yes I've been researching henna for probably 8 years and getting too red is definitely what many report when more greys come in.
In fact I read several reviews where the person either bleached the henna out(thus requiring a cut) or started using demi colors like I do now.
I really like what I have done now, I always get tempted by the henna bug but I just don't want that much red.
I've seen several people complain of sneezing and headaches,too, and I get headaches easy from fumes.
Much to think about.
I color my hair as infrequently as I can get away with.

November 12th, 2015, 7:31 pm #4

I can understand why you'd be reluctant to try henna. There are issues with allergies for many users. The first time I used henna I chose a strawberry blonde color and did some research before I was ready to apply. Afterward, the color didn't take as much as I wanted and my hair smelled like hay for two weeks. Initially, the smell made me nauseous and I felt queasy for days until it began to subside. I'm also allergic to some grasses so that contributed as well.

I'm sure there was cassia in the mix but more henna than I use with my own blend. I use cassia with a small amount of henna to help cover the gray. But this is for someone who wants to go golden blonde instead of brown.

I recently heard about an interesting 'Restoring Color' product that uses only food grade ingredients and is non-toxic called Hairprint. It's only for those who have brown hair and users with known sensitivities have given it good reviews. It is a little pricey, but it might be worth a look for you. There is a lot of information on the site about the product, the ingredients are listed, and they also have instructions on how to use it. If you have questions, you could contact them. Here is the link:

http://www.myhairprint.com/

HTH

November 13th, 2015, 6:41 pm #5

About Hairprint!! I will probably have to do a lot of research before I actually tried it though.
Actually I have considered Cassia with a small amount of henna to create "natural" highlights" in my brunette hair.
My grey hairs would hopefully be colored over and create highlights whereas the brunette would not show color.
I'm researching that, too, but I again don't want to wind up with a color that doesn't look good on me.

November 16th, 2015, 9:35 pm #6

Hopes:

Fears:

2. shedding-both with rinsing out and in general. I've seen enough of it since I've been around the long hair
boards, some people start shedding a lot, especially with later applications(too much weight)
3. having to Do it myself. Basically why I haven't dipped my toe in the henna pond yet.
5. Getting a color to dark or too red and having it permanent until it grows out.
6. Being less able to gracefully grow out my grey if that's what I decide to do.

With the demi color I use now(every 3 months) If I decide to grow out my greying hair or go lighter it would be easier.

I have considered Lush henna, I could get it applied at the Lush store(3 hours away!) although I'd have to rinse it out.

I shed quite a lot when I henna, which has not been in a while mainly because of the mess factor plus I'm not crazy about the grassy smell and as Jules mentioned the orangy tint on white hair. I've gotten plenty more of those recently! I always used Light Mountain Henna (I think!), which has other herbs blended in. Over time it completely washed out with me which was good as I never had an issue using other colorants later on, probably at least 6 months after.

November 17th, 2015, 7:02 pm #7

Hopes:

Fears:

...I do think your fears are well founded.

I think any blend that has henna in it will have a bit of an orangy glow in direct sunlight. I've even seen it on very dark haired folks. I think it is one of the biggest complaints regarding color. Your siggy pic does show a warm brown color on my monitor so this might suit you well.

I do shed quite a lot when I first rinse out the henna but I have been using henna for 5+ years and I believe my hair is thicker than it used to be. For me, I find not manipulating my hair when rinsing the henna minimizes how much hair I lose. I still have lots of twiggy bits after my hair dries which brush out easy enough.

I've never heard of the green pee but there is a strong scent (which I find pleasant) and it does remain on me for several weeks. If I found it a disagreeable scent, it could be present enough to make me feel nauseated. Not to mention allergies! But you would find that out during strand testing.

I really did not like Lush henna... it is very waxy and I found it so difficult to remove from my hair. This was before I found BAQ henna so maybe their formula has changed or your reaction would be different.

I'm sure you've read that once you get to a color you like, to switch to roots only. At first its a bit awkward but once you get your method down, it's no big deal. By doing roots only, you can grow out your grays gracefully by using less and less henna in each root touch up.

I really feel my hair's texture has reached it's full potential with the help of henna. I don't understand the mechanism but my hair has more... body, I guess? I can't really speak to much as far as shine... seems that's harder to capture on curly hair.

It's a tough choice, babyfine, and I hope the decision becomes clearer. If you think you might want to try it, do some strand testing to see how your hair reacts. It will give you the chance to address some of your concerns regarding the scent and allergies too.

November 18th, 2015, 6:59 pm #8

In the late '80's I used a product called hennalucent in either Earth or Bark Brown. At least I think it was hennalucent.
I lived in a different state and at that time I had a spiral perm and wanted to color my hair, but I did not want the extra damage the color would do over a perm. So a friend of mine suggested henna.
We went to a beauty supply store and purchased a premixed henna and applied it(with my friends help)
At first it came out very pretty. My frizzy perm had relaxed into beautiful, shiney, soft dark auburn waves.
But after about 24 hours the hair from the ears down turned almost black while the roots remained auburn!!
In retrospect, I think what happened was that the permed hair was so porous from the ears down it absorbed too much color while the healthier roots did not but boy was I freaked out!! Of course nowadays it would just look like reverse omber, LOL!!
Anyhoo I almost cut my hair but didn't and within 2 months or so it was all gone and I was back to my natural color. This is why I'm (almost) positive it was hennalucent which is not a permanent henna. Plus I was able to perm again about 6 months later with no problem.
Even though I was freaked out over the color, I also remember the condition of my hair.
Softer, STRONGER, somewhat thicker, shinier-frizzy curls relaxed to soft waves.
So maybe I will use hennalucent again someday if I stop coloring,although I'm not sure it covers grey.
It's not permanent-perfect for me.
But it's also very hard to find these days.

November 21st, 2015, 12:46 pm #9

Hopes:

Fears:

As you said, no one can tell you what the final outcome will be and what effects it may have except for the coloring (I must admit I never heard of the one with pee changing color )

There is something you can do to see the color end result though - collect shed hairs for a while till you have a small "ponytail", then try the henna of your choice on that ponytail so that you can see the color you'll get on your hair without having to try on the hair that's actually on your head...
You could even try several brands / colors of henna or cassia on several such ponytails to see which you like best (if any)...

It won't help with the other concerns, but at least it can help with #1 on your list

November 21st, 2015, 7:44 pm #10

The green pee reports I saw over on the forums at www.hennaforhair.com. I think it mainly resulted from people leaving it on for several hours or overnight-things I would be not doing. However it does go to show that what we put on our scalps or skin go through our systems.
Yes I would definitely be doing shed hair tests! I'm just to lazy to do even that, though, I'm the type that just wants to slap it on and go, but yes a strand test and an allergy test are essential IMO. I would just need to collect enough shed hairs to do that.
I would have to include the grey hairs, which are in the bang area and I have very little grey showing as I don't let my roots grow out much and I never seem to see any shed ones(probably because they are so light against the white bathtub, floor, and my hair is mostly colored brown.
Last edited by Babyfine2008 on November 21st, 2015, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 24th, 2016, 12:17 pm #11

Hopes:

Fears:

Everyone's mileage varies with henna but I've not had any weird side-effects and I've actually had significantly less shedding. I had approximately 150 hairs a day falling out at one point and since using the henna it's down to less than 10 a day.

I would say that Lush's henna didn't make a huge difference in my naturally blonde hair.

July 7th, 2018, 10:22 pm #12

Babyfine2008 wrote: About Hairprint!!   I will probably have to do a lot of research before I actually tried it though.
Actually I have considered Cassia with a small amount of henna to create "natural" highlights" in my brunette hair.
My grey hairs would hopefully be colored over and create highlights whereas the brunette would not show color.
I'm researching that, too, but I again don't want to wind up with a color that doesn't look good on me.
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would comment in case Babyfine2008 comes across it someday. I have been using Hairprint for about a year now and love the results. I am not sure what I'll do once I have mostly gray hair or have a lot of gray on my temples. For now, I will keep using it, though the process is a bit messy. It makes my hair shiny, healthy, and somehow a little thicker. I read all I could read on the Hairprint website (https://myhairprint.com) before I decided to use it; there is a ton of information there. Don't just dive in--research first. If you have any questions beyond what's on the website, ask away!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

From 16.5 inches to 22.5 inches (I was not coloring my hair.)

Type: 2C-3B/N/ii (2")
Length and goals: 16"/25.5"/26" (BSL); growing out bangs, currently past chin
Color: brown with lots of gray; coloring to my original color with all-natural Hairprint every 8 to 10 weeks
Routine:
BBB brushing with head inverted a la Dr. George Michael (scroll to posts 21-26) twice per week before washing
CWC twice per week: Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner on length, diluted Hairprint shampoo, then Hairprint conditioner, finish with cool water rinse
Tools and techniques:
Mason Pearson rake comb, T-shirt for hair towel, silk pillow case
air drying (as well as some hair dryer and round brush use that I'm trying to stop)
some oiling with EVCO

Way back in April 2007, I found the Loom and started measuring my hair (17.5 inches). Since then, I have grown my hair (but not longer than 23 inches) and cut it off (from 16 to 17.5 inches) many times because I struggled with health-related hair thinning/loss for many years due to autoimmune disease. My hair is much better now, and Hairprint gives it nice texture and shine.

. . . but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her . . . (1 Corinthians 11:15a)

July 9th, 2018, 9:41 pm #13

Hi Inch by Inch!  Actually, I have looked at Hairprint from time to time, and have considered it.  The overall problem is I have so much more grey now than I did even 5 years ago.
So for now I have my stylist color me with Redken Shades EQ and sit me under a dryer which makes it stick more permanently.
Unfortunately, I got the bug to have some "Peekaboo" highlights put in this last time, in my brunette hair.  I love the look but I can tell the highlighted pieces are slightly  more damaged and tangle a bit easier(my hair is BSL Long for me as I'm long waisted)than my brunette hair.    Sometimes I still get the henna bug. Before I did hairprint or henna, I would probably have to color all over dark again first one last time.
I've even looked at Hennalucent( there are still places you can find it on the web) but I'd probably have to grow all my color out first.
I'm not even sure it would color grey.  I did it once in the late 80's before I ever had any grey and loved it.

July 10th, 2018, 7:50 pm #14

Babyfine2008 wrote: Hi Inch by Inch!  Actually, I have looked at Hairprint from time to time, and have considered it.  The overall problem is I have so much more grey now than I did even 5 years ago.
So for now I have my stylist color me with Redken Shades EQ and sit me under a dryer which makes it stick more permanently.
Unfortunately, I got the bug to have some "Peekaboo" highlights put in this last time, in my brunette hair.  I love the look but I can tell the highlighted pieces are slightly  more damaged and tangle a bit easier(my hair is BSL Long for me as I'm long waisted)than my brunette hair.    Sometimes I still get the henna bug. Before I did hairprint or henna, I would probably have to color all over dark again first one last time.
I've even looked at Hennalucent( there are still places you can find it on the web) but I'd probably have to grow all my color out first.
I'm not even sure it would color grey.  I did it once in the late 80's before I ever had any grey and loved it.
Hi, Babyfine! It's good to "see" you again! 🙂

Your highlights sound very nice. I think I'm too afraid to do any highlights and prefer to stick with my own brown color, though I tend to get a reddish tint on the top. My husband likes it, so that's OK by me. I can understand wanting to use henna; I've seen some lovely results in pictures over the years. I tried henna way back as a test on a lock of hair near my neck, and I loved the shine and dimension of the color (I used a henna that was for brown results instead of red only). But I never used it over all of my hair.

Before using Hairprint, I was having a demipermanent brown color applied at an Aveda salon to cover my grays. I was just never completely happy with the results and the texture of my hair. So I let it fade away completely over a couple of years before using Hairprint. You can see the grays pretty well in the far-right photo below.

There is so much reading and learning to be done on the Hairprint website before deciding whether to try it! For instance, you would need to read about how to use Hairprint on color-treated hair. One of the issues with Hairprint is if one's hair is all gray or white. You can also contact the help desk with any questions you might have that aren't covered on the site.

I'd love to see a current pic of your hair sometime! Are you enjoying it at BSL? Mine is alllmost there. It's the longest it has been since I was about 24 or 25 years old--which was 25 years ago! I need a trim to try to lose some layers; I'm thinking of finding someone to do dustings also. We shall see.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Color: brown with lots of gray; coloring to my original color with all-natural Hairprint every 8 to 10 weeks
Routine:
BBB brushing with head inverted a la Dr. George Michael (scroll to posts 21-26) twice per week before washing
CWC twice per week: Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner on length, diluted Hairprint shampoo, then Hairprint conditioner, finish with cool water rinse
Tools and techniques:
air drying (as well as some hair dryer and round brush use that I'm trying to stop)
some oiling with EVCO

Way back in April 2007, I found the Loom and started measuring my hair (17.5 inches). Since then, I have grown my hair (but not longer than 23 inches) and cut it off (from 16 to 17.5 inches) many times because I struggled with health-related hair thinning/loss for many years due to autoimmune disease. My hair is much better now, and Hairprint gives it nice texture and shine.

. . . but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her . . . (1 Corinthians 11:15a)

July 10th, 2018, 8:31 pm #15

I can also understand the issues with henna and allergies and such. That's why I like Hairprint for myself. Hugs to you!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Routine:
Tools and techniques:
some oiling with EVCO

July 14th, 2018, 2:59 am #16

I was interested to read that you've used Hairprint. I heard of it a number of years ago and was intrigued - I actually wondered if it could deliver on all that it promised. I'm glad it's worked so well for you. It's just not an option for me given that it's not available locally and would cost far too much to order and ship from the States.

Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.)

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

July 14th, 2018, 4:36 pm #17

CrowningGlory wrote: I was interested to read that you've used Hairprint. I heard of it a number of years ago and was intrigued - I actually wondered if it could deliver on all that it promised. I'm glad it's worked so well for you. It's just not an option for me given that it's not available locally and would cost far too much to order and ship from the States.
Hi, Jules! I took quite a while of thinking and researching and contemplating before I decided to use Hairprint. I also wondered if it would deliver what it promised, and I've found that I love the results for the most part. There are a few quirks with each coloring round . . . I'm wondering now whether I should start a Hairprint thread. Maybe I will soon.

I looked at the Hairprint site just now and found that there's a distributor in Australia called Nourished Life Australia; here is the Natural Hair Colour & Dye page. Looks like Hairprint is definitely more expensive there than from Hairprint in the States, and you *might* need more than one kit with your length. I have no idea of the shipping and other fees from Australia to New Zealand. Perhaps in the future there will be more distributors.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Routine:
Tools and techniques:
some oiling with EVCO

July 15th, 2018, 12:50 am #18

Thanks for the information. The shipping from Australia will be less than from the States (sometimes shipping is more than what the goods are worth - I've just ordered some quilting stencils that were only a few dollars each and would cost only a few dollars to send in my country but the shipping was upwards of $20!) and the product will be more expensive since shipping from the States and then exchange rate will be loaded into the price they charge. And I suspect I will need two boxes. So yes, I'm looking at somewhere around $140 minimum. And, of course, it will have to be reapplied regularly which will mean more cost. I can't justify it at the moment.

But I'm loving that it's working for you and perhaps if you do start that thread I might be tempted to fit it into the budget somehow.

Current Routine

Confirmation of reply: