Miracle Water

Miracle Water

October 1st, 2017, 4:48 am #1

Lately my hair has been dry and brittle and no amount of oils or condish alleviated the problem. In desperation I washed in saved rainwater one day and the difference was amazing. But I don't have a ready supply of rainwater and so I looked for a way to remove the chlorine and hardness from our town supply to see if this would help my hair. I found a recipe for 'miracle water' archived at LHC and gave it a go.

Incredible results. Hair is soft and shiny and no frizz. I'm hooked. The only downside is that so far I'm having to wash in tepid water, but I'm working on that.

Anyway, the recipe, for anyone who wants to give it a go is 1/32 teaspoon ascorbic acid + 1/4 teaspoon citric acid to one gallon water (or 3.785 litres) and let sit for four minutes. I couldn't find ascorbic acid so instead I filled a bucket and let it sit uncovered for 24 hours so the chlorine could evaporate. This worked but I'm going to try and find ascorbic acid so that I can add it to hot bathwater. I'm sure my skin will appreciate this miracle water as much as my hair. And it will be easier than having two buckets sitting around full of water. (Also need to work out how many litres my bathtub holds so I can adjust the recipe.)

I came across this recipe years ago and didn't think I needed to try it since I was already using vinegar as a final rinse. Let's just say, I was wrong. While hard water isn't great for my hair, I suspect the chlorine was even worse. BTW, this recipe apparently works if your water contains chloramine rather than chlorine.

I am really happy with this experiment.

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

October 2nd, 2017, 4:59 am #2

I have a shower filter on our downstairs shower, but it needs replacing. I purchased a Bath filter(bath ball) for the tub, too. It is supposed to filter out chlorine.
I'll have to see where to buy ascorbic acid.

October 2nd, 2017, 4:59 am #3

Lately my hair has been dry and brittle and no amount of oils or condish alleviated the problem. In desperation I washed in saved rainwater one day and the difference was amazing. But I don't have a ready supply of rainwater and so I looked for a way to remove the chlorine and hardness from our town supply to see if this would help my hair. I found a recipe for 'miracle water' archived at LHC and gave it a go.

Incredible results. Hair is soft and shiny and no frizz. I'm hooked. The only downside is that so far I'm having to wash in tepid water, but I'm working on that.

Anyway, the recipe, for anyone who wants to give it a go is 1/32 teaspoon ascorbic acid + 1/4 teaspoon citric acid to one gallon water (or 3.785 litres) and let sit for four minutes. I couldn't find ascorbic acid so instead I filled a bucket and let it sit uncovered for 24 hours so the chlorine could evaporate. This worked but I'm going to try and find ascorbic acid so that I can add it to hot bathwater. I'm sure my skin will appreciate this miracle water as much as my hair. And it will be easier than having two buckets sitting around full of water. (Also need to work out how many litres my bathtub holds so I can adjust the recipe.)

I came across this recipe years ago and didn't think I needed to try it since I was already using vinegar as a final rinse. Let's just say, I was wrong. While hard water isn't great for my hair, I suspect the chlorine was even worse. BTW, this recipe apparently works if your water contains chloramine rather than chlorine.

I have a shower filter on our downstairs shower, but it needs replacing. I purchased a Bath filter(bath ball) for the tub, too. It is supposed to filter out chlorine.

October 3rd, 2017, 7:07 pm #4

And apparently some Health Food shops carry it. Also dissolvable Vit C supplements could work. I have read that either form of Vit C, ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate, will neutralize chlorine. Neither is considered a hazardous chemical. When I went looking I was searching for pure ascorbic acid since I thought that was what was required, but sodium ascorbate or a mix might be easier to find.

But the bath ball and filter should do the trick. We're looking at purchasing a shower filter and seeing how that goes. We already have filtered water in the kitchen for drinking. Apparently, though, you absorb mere chlorine from showers and baths than you do from drinking straight tap water.

Its funny: when we did our bathroom renovations a few years back I told DH that I would only wash my hair in the bath for a maximum of one year (turned out to be much longer) before cutting it off. Ns I'm voluntarily returning to bathing and washing in the bath!

Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

October 11th, 2017, 9:28 pm #5

We're seriously looking at getting a whole house filter that removes chlorine. Even though hard water can be problematic for hair, I think it's the chlorine that has really messed it up. The unit we're looking at will remove some of the calcium and if I do find what remains is still a problem, I can continue to use citric acid in my rinse water. But I'm not adding that much citric acid to my water at the moment (perhaps less than 10% of what is recommended for a whole bath) but am using the correct ratio of ascorbic acid and I'm continually amazed at the difference. I keep waiting for my hair to revert to dry and frizzy again and it hasn't. I think I'm going to have to dilute my shampoo even further because it's lathering up so well.

Current Routine

Confirmation of reply: