Life update (it has a little something to do with hair)

Life update (it has a little something to do with hair)

August 20th, 2017, 7:06 pm #1

The last time I popped in here was to share about getting married. Now I get to share the good news that we're expecting our first! I'm 18 weeks along and noticing a little bit of change in my hair -- it's getting thicker again and with that extra growth come all the flyaway with shorter hairs. Fortunately, I cover my hair with scarves whenever I'm in public so it's easy to cover that up. That said, it also makes the flyaway more of a problem when I do uncover so I'm working on ways to deal with this.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in and share the news!

(edit) Goodness! I just took a look at my picture below and my, how my hair has grown! That was just over a year ago and now my hair is at my waist. I'm thinking this pregnancy has sped up the growth more than I realized.
Last edited by jordanelisheva on August 20th, 2017, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 20th, 2017, 8:08 pm #2

Jordan, that's such lovely news! You (and your husband) must be so very excited about the baby I hope you are feeling well and that you continue to be in good health throughout your pregnancy. I'm not very knowledgeable about what happens with hair during pregnancy, but I think some women do experience hair getting thicker (because there is less shedding of hair). I realize that may not be so convenient with your curl pattern, but at least you don't have to worry about styling options in public

Anyhow, thank you for sharing this wonderful news with us
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

August 21st, 2017, 7:00 am #3

The last time I popped in here was to share about getting married. Now I get to share the good news that we're expecting our first! I'm 18 weeks along and noticing a little bit of change in my hair -- it's getting thicker again and with that extra growth come all the flyaway with shorter hairs. Fortunately, I cover my hair with scarves whenever I'm in public so it's easy to cover that up. That said, it also makes the flyaway more of a problem when I do uncover so I'm working on ways to deal with this.

(edit) Goodness! I just took a look at my picture below and my, how my hair has grown! That was just over a year ago and now my hair is at my waist. I'm thinking this pregnancy has sped up the growth more than I realized.
Congratulations. New life is always exciting, but especially the first child who opens the door to the wonder if parenthood.

My experience with hair during pregnancy was two extremes: 1. Super oily and dull in the early months, followed by 2. Super thick and shiny hair in later months.

Ohtawen, is correct, in that you shed less hair during pregnancy. However, you can then appear to lose a large amount some time after baby arrives, as you lose the hair you would normally shed and also what wasn't shed during pregnancy due to the hormones.

Hope everything goes well.

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

August 29th, 2017, 10:00 pm #4

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

You have very beautiful hair and I love the color.

September 5th, 2017, 5:11 am #5

What a wonderful time - being pregnant. Some of the happiest months of my life, except for the ninth months! lol. May the Lord bless you and your new family. Would love to see a tummy picture in the future.

September 6th, 2017, 6:55 pm #6

Let's see if I can remember how to make pictures show up here...

This was taken at 18 weeks -- I'm 20 weeks now.

Confirmation of reply: