"It does nothing for you"

"It does nothing for you"

August 5th, 2017, 4:26 am #1

Apparently more mature ladies are often told this when it comes to long hair. I'm assuming people where I live are too polite to say it to my face, but it got me thinking.

My long hair makes me feel happy ... it makes me feel feminine ... it makes me unique ... it gives me entry into the world of long hairs (ever smiled at a complete stranger because you both have long hair and you know you both belong to the exclusive club?) ... it gives me a range of different looks ... and it pleases my husband. So how can it be said that "it does nothing for me"?

What does your long hair do for you? (Not just mature members need reply!)

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

August 7th, 2017, 3:00 am #2

don't you forget it! It does, it does, 'do' something for me. The first thing that I would say is the easy, easiness of the daily care. I twist it up and clip it, and off I go. No blow drying, no curling iron, no flattening iron, nor curlers (remember those?) Those with short hair must maintain a labor intensive regiment; and hair management time. Some ladies take about 2 hours per day on their hair...
I am a feminine woman, very distinct from most other women, and many women (at the store) do look at me and smile, but today there is the 'long hair' trend.
When I was almost 40 my Mom and her sisters insisted that long hair was for little girls and a 'mature' woman should chop her hair to a 'ladylike' length--about 2 inches. I would tell them that is man's hair length. But they disdained my position. Oh, well. They had their poodle hair cut and perm, yikes! ^__^

August 7th, 2017, 7:31 am #3

My long hair saves me time ... saves me money (in salon visits but not when it comes to hair toys!) ... can be elegant and sophisticated (love those updos).

It doesn't, however, save me frustration. Probably because I'm growing out some bangs (and my hair grows so slowly - four months since hair cut and still not in my eyes!) and my hair isn't as thick as I'd like it to be (i.e. pre-shedding state).

Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

mermayd
mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 2:16 am #4

don't you forget it! It does, it does, 'do' something for me. The first thing that I would say is the easy, easiness of the daily care. I twist it up and clip it, and off I go. No blow drying, no curling iron, no flattening iron, nor curlers (remember those?) Those with short hair must maintain a labor intensive regiment; and hair management time. Some ladies take about 2 hours per day on their hair...
I am a feminine woman, very distinct from most other women, and many women (at the store) do look at me and smile, but today there is the 'long hair' trend.
When I was almost 40 my Mom and her sisters insisted that long hair was for little girls and a 'mature' woman should chop her hair to a 'ladylike' length--about 2 inches. I would tell them that is man's hair length. But they disdained my position. Oh, well. They had their poodle hair cut and perm, yikes! ^__^
I know the feeling! Not only do I hate that "Short hair that looks so professional" makes you look like a man, but I hate the whole blazer thing in the professional world also. Not flattering on women, I think. I don't mind a soft cardigan, but I hate blazers!

mermayd

mermayd
mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 2:20 am #5

Apparently more mature ladies are often told this when it comes to long hair. I'm assuming people where I live are too polite to say it to my face, but it got me thinking.

My long hair makes me feel happy ... it makes me feel feminine ... it makes me unique ... it gives me entry into the world of long hairs (ever smiled at a complete stranger because you both have long hair and you know you both belong to the exclusive club?) ... it gives me a range of different looks ... and it pleases my husband. So how can it be said that "it does nothing for me"?

What does long hair do for me? Makes me feel more feminine. Makes me not have to "deal with" styling - I mean, I wash, condition, comb out and that's about it. If it's hot, I throw it up with a hair fork or in a ponytail. For the most part, I let it be and I can't imagine having to fuss with it any more than that. My hair is "me" - I have not had short hair since elementary school and don't ever plan on going back. I don't need "something fresh and new" - I will buy a new outfit if I need that. Or redecorate my home, or go someplace I've never been. But change my hair? Nope. Don't need that traume.

Mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 3:59 pm #6

never had that directed my way, but I'm not surprised that that kind of "argument" is being used to dissuade women from pursuing their long hair dreams... However, the same "argument" can be applied not only to long hair, but to hair in general. Whether it's long or short, hair is just keratin sticking out of the scalp. In the functional sense, it does nothing, regardless of its length

But all that aside, I think long hair does a lot for me. It gives me an ease of care and convenience I couldn't have with a trendy short cut. I have a myriad of styling options which I can actually do on myself, so long hair also liberates me from hairstylists. Apart from the practical aspect, I can certainly say that it makes me feel good And I believe that's the most important thing, the ability to bring joy.
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

August 10th, 2017, 6:22 pm #7

If it's cut short, I have to style, blow dry, curl,hairspray every day. Then it still falls flat. So I used to get perms when it was shorter, problem solved. But I don't want short, permed hair at age 60. Long hair is easier,and more feminine. I can put it up and be out the door in minutes. Plus my husband really likes my length and doesn't want me to cut it. He really loves the length, fine and all.
I don't have the pretty face I had at 25, so short hair shows all the imperfections. I guess you could say an updo does, too, but I wear topknots sometimes, instant facelift!!
Last edited by Babyfine2008 on August 10th, 2017, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2017, 4:40 pm #8

had anyone but stylists say anything negative about my BSL hair(and I'm 61.) they usually don't mention my age, but say how much thicker and fuller my hair would be if I kept it shorter. Indeed I had it cut back twice since joining this board, last in 2013. Just to a Shoulder length inverted bob. I will never go shorter than that. I did enjoy that length and I could still put it up, ect. But I really missed my longer hair. And I thought of this:
At 60, if I cut back now, it will be years and years before I could get it back even to the length it is now! I might not even be alive then!
I so wish I could find a good long haired salon. Plus, my husband really likes it this length.
Last edited by Babyfine2008 on August 11th, 2017, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2017, 7:35 pm #9

My growth rate has slowed down in recent years to what I suspect is only 0.25" a month. I could be wrong, but going on my fringe and how it never seems to get past my eyebrows despite leaving it alone, I suspect this is the case. So if I cut now, it would also be years and years before it was long again ... if ever.

I also think, "Yes, I could have a swishy shorter cut but there are plenty of women with cuts like that but few my age with longer hair so why not be the one that is different?" I'm 52 now and my long hair has become my signature style.

I do think of cutting it back to BSL but I still want to try tailbone once more as that was my favourite length. Just every time I've come close to reaching it in the last seven years, the ends have been so thin that I've had to cut back, but I do think they are s-l-o-w-l-y improving so I want to try again.

Like you, my DH loves my hair long and I honestly think that's one more good reason to keep it long.

Current Routine

August 20th, 2017, 7:02 pm #10

I agree especially with the "it pleases my husband" bit. I cover my hair whenever I'm in public now so it's rare that anyone that isn't a close friend or relative sees the length of my hair. People forget that beauty isn't just for the outside world. It's not even primarily for them -- it's a personal thing first.

Dulce
Dulce

September 8th, 2017, 8:50 pm #11

I am 65 almost 66.I love my long hair[now butt crack,but I keep it between waist and that length ] and all the east fast styles I can do with it.I dry fast with a floor fan and don't colour and I cut it myself.No real upkeep.My hubby said I do not look like anyone else my age.I like being different and unique-fits the rebel in me!Hubby dislikes the short dyed salon dos.He was the one who encouraged me to ditch my dyed pixie over 10 years ago and regrow my long hair back and go gray.Funny how some women like to disparage long hair on older women and even tell how men don't really like it.I was at walmart,with hair loose.An older woman [my age]kept staring very aggressively at me and giving me the evil eye LOL,then she turned to her husband/boyfriend? and said very loudly to make sure I heard her -that woman needs to cut her hair in a very disapproving tone.He relied -why? I like it..dead stony silence and I laughed inwardly..I've found most men DO like long hair ,some might not but they seem to be the minority.Ignore those type of comments-they are rude and meant to shame or embarrass you into cutting, to fit the sterotype of what they like.It's bullying pure and simple.Don't let yourself fall for it.

Dulce
Dulce

September 8th, 2017, 8:54 pm #12

Also long hair IS easy if you get sick,I was hospitalized ,had surgery for breast cancer.I put my hair in a frontal side braid just before surgery and just left it for the first week after surgery.It stayed tidy-so glad I didn't have to style or blowdry each right after surgery as I would have had to do if I had my hair short to avoid the dreaded bed head.

Confirmation of reply: