I think it's nearly time to admit...

I think it's nearly time to admit...

September 1st, 2011, 3:36 am #1

...that my hair is causing me headaches again.

Ok so maybe it isn't that bad

This is the longest I have ever had my hair. Usually it begins to give me headaches at waist, but I've been doing some things (mostly never brushing and rarely combing) that have helped it feel lighter.

I do need to get my hair cut soon ish, though. I'm trying to decide if I can wait until after my big historical reenactment in November, or if I'll do it before then. Also, I need to decide whether to just layer it to take weight off or cut it back. (either way I would layer it some)

On the one hand, I'd really like to let my hair get longer. On the other, I can see benefits of shorter lengths. By shorter I mean somewhere between BSL and waist.

Oh, and the other idea I've been playing with is cutting it myself. I already cut my brothers' and dad's hair, so I'm used to it (and I am taking into consideration the differences in cutting their hair and my own).

Thanks for listening

Jordan Elizabeth
Http://heavenlyprincess.wordpress.com

April 2011
CO-washed in the bathtub upside down, plopped overnight, hardly touched in the morning

33"/36"/40" (tailbone)
I'd like to see what my termie length is, but that might be a little too long...
3a/N/iii

September 1st, 2011, 5:41 am #2

I'm sorry to hear your hair is causing you headaches but I'm sure it will look gorgeous no matter what length it is.

As to cutting your own hair, have you looked into Feye's self trimming method? I cut my own hair using this technique and haven't been to a hair dresser in years. A big bonus with cutting your own hair is that you can take off a tiny bit at a time until you're pleased with the result.

cross made of my own and my mothers hair

1a/bFi

16/47/51

Routine:
Daily scalp wash with CV bars followed by ACV rince.
Deep conditioning once or twice a week.
Oiling with coconut and/or avocado oil when needed.

Horn combs and BBB brush.

September 1st, 2011, 10:22 am #3

This is the longest I have ever had my hair. Usually it begins to give me headaches at waist, but I've been doing some things (mostly never brushing and rarely combing) that have helped it feel lighter.

I do need to get my hair cut soon ish, though. I'm trying to decide if I can wait until after my big historical reenactment in November, or if I'll do it before then. Also, I need to decide whether to just layer it to take weight off or cut it back. (either way I would layer it some)

On the one hand, I'd really like to let my hair get longer. On the other, I can see benefits of shorter lengths. By shorter I mean somewhere between BSL and waist.

Oh, and the other idea I've been playing with is cutting it myself. I already cut my brothers' and dad's hair, so I'm used to it (and I am taking into consideration the differences in cutting their hair and my own).

Thanks for listening

Jordan Elizabeth

April 2011
CO-washed in the bathtub upside down, plopped overnight, hardly touched in the morning

33"/36"/40" (tailbone)
I'd like to see what my termie length is, but that might be a little too long...
3a/N/iii
It is too bad your hair is causing you a head ace! Maybe wear it up evenly so that your scalp can adjust to the weight while you keep it on the same length? Perhaps it just needs some time to get used to the weight?

I also use the cutting method used above for a long time and it works for me. Every time I go to a salon I have the feeling I can get better results myself. A bit of layering will also take some weight off.
I just have too say I absolutely love your hair, the colour, the curls and I think it will look good on every length. Just do what you feel comfortable with.

Light brown hair.
30 inch to the mid of my back. I want to to be to my tail-bone and see if I can grow it any longer than that.
2bNiii with spiral curls at my ears.

September 1st, 2011, 10:29 am #4

Thanks for listening

Jordan Elizabeth

April 2011

33"/36"/40" (tailbone)
3a/N/iii
Hair like yours could never look bad!

1AFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Twice a week, scalp wash, with letting shampoo run through length. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse.
Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Comb and Tangle Teezer.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

September 1st, 2011, 2:03 pm #5

Thanks for listening

Jordan Elizabeth

April 2011

33"/36"/40" (tailbone)
3a/N/iii
you have gorgeous hair, no matter which length. As an admirer of long hair, I would like to see your hair grow even longer, but headaches are no fun, and I understand your need to trim. If it's necessary for you to cut and perhaps layer, then you should do it. Layers would look great on you, because they generally suit curly hair (I always think of Heather's hair when talking about curly hair and layers).

Although I strongly advocate cutting your own hair. I second Maria's advice - Feye's self trimming method works great for me, too. You can cut off how much or little you like and see if there will be any headaches before going shorter. Good luck and keep us posted

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

September 1st, 2011, 4:42 pm #6

Thanks for listening

Jordan Elizabeth

April 2011

33"/36"/40" (tailbone)
3a/N/iii
...to have hair-caused headaches. I used to be unable to do many updos because of the way my hair would pull. That hasn't been a problem for me recently. though.

I've cut my own hair for years, although I'd never heard of Feye's method. I just sort of winged it, and it turned out fine. I have curly hair, too, which is pretty forgiving when it comes to slight irregularities in length. I gave myself some long layers recently by turning my head over and combing/pulling sections of hair taut before cutting.

I hope you find a solution that makes you happy!

~ Nighean Ruadh ~

26.25/waist/tailbone

September 2nd, 2011, 11:32 pm #7

Thanks for listening

Jordan Elizabeth

April 2011

33"/36"/40" (tailbone)
3a/N/iii
I used to get them too whenever I wore my hair up until I discovered hair sticks. Now I hardly ever get them. Have you experimented with different styles and/or hair toys to see if anything is better for you?

On the other hand, if you do decide to cut back, you'll still have gorgeous hair.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal 41.5"/105.5cm (Classic length) and all-natural hair care (almost there apart from the still regular use of hairspray - ouch!)

Current routine: Oil lightly before washing with a mix of olive, coconut, avocado and almond oils. Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Once a week use shampoo bar on length as well as scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; S&D when I think of it; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

Confirmation of reply: