I'm New!

I'm New!

August 6th, 2012, 7:43 pm #1

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board and I just wanted to say hello. I guess I will tell you a little of my hair history, and how I found you all.

For the majority of my life I had short hair, and I am talking chin length or shorter. That changed when I got to college and wanted to be able to toss my hair up in a ponytail to study. I have been growing my hair out haphazardly since I was about 20 (I just turned 27 in July), but I was never really consistent about it. I would grow it to bra strap length, then chop it to chin length. I have always had a love/hate affair with the scissors, and my hair has paid the price. My current length, 29 inches, is the longest it has ever been.

The problem I have found with my hair is that it is so thick I get frustrated with it easily, hence the cutting. When it is long too, it is hard to care for. I have always been bad about hair care, so I used lots of heat and blew it dry when I could. Because of the thickness of my hair, this often took forever, compounding my frustration and making me want to cut it. At its current length, I often let my hair air dry because I couldn't be bothered to blow it dry, and it has responded positively.

I have learned to love buns and braids and they are probably the only reason I haven't cut it. Truly, I don't want to cut it but the heaviness of it and the way the ends are after a certain length have always been problems. After reading many posts and tips on this site, I realize now that I am completely to blame for that. Recently, I did a search and destroy on my ends and I was horrified by how many of them were split and preparing to split. It was easy to see then that I needed help.

I can't wait to try some of the recipes I have seen here, and hopefully my hair will stay in such good condition that I end my affair with the scissors for good!

~~ElanorNiphredil

-:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:--:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:-

2cMiii, 29/36

August 6th, 2012, 8:38 pm #2

Glad to have you with us!

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse. Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

August 6th, 2012, 8:38 pm #3

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board and I just wanted to say hello. I guess I will tell you a little of my hair history, and how I found you all.

For the majority of my life I had short hair, and I am talking chin length or shorter. That changed when I got to college and wanted to be able to toss my hair up in a ponytail to study. I have been growing my hair out haphazardly since I was about 20 (I just turned 27 in July), but I was never really consistent about it. I would grow it to bra strap length, then chop it to chin length. I have always had a love/hate affair with the scissors, and my hair has paid the price. My current length, 29 inches, is the longest it has ever been.

The problem I have found with my hair is that it is so thick I get frustrated with it easily, hence the cutting. When it is long too, it is hard to care for. I have always been bad about hair care, so I used lots of heat and blew it dry when I could. Because of the thickness of my hair, this often took forever, compounding my frustration and making me want to cut it. At its current length, I often let my hair air dry because I couldn't be bothered to blow it dry, and it has responded positively.

I have learned to love buns and braids and they are probably the only reason I haven't cut it. Truly, I don't want to cut it but the heaviness of it and the way the ends are after a certain length have always been problems. After reading many posts and tips on this site, I realize now that I am completely to blame for that. Recently, I did a search and destroy on my ends and I was horrified by how many of them were split and preparing to split. It was easy to see then that I needed help.

I can't wait to try some of the recipes I have seen here, and hopefully my hair will stay in such good condition that I end my affair with the scissors for good!

~~ElanorNiphredil

-:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:--:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:-

2cMiii, 29/36
Repeat of above, sorry!

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse. Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts
Last edited by lacemitts on August 6th, 2012, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2012, 8:59 pm #4

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Wishing you a warm welcome, ElanorNiphredil! Do I spy a fellow LOTR lover? Anyhow, I hope I'll get to know you better.

Your hair is lovely, to say the least. I love the color. Is it straightened for this picture? For I see that you are a 2c wavy. Oh, I'd love to see your hair wavy! But I guess this accurately represents your length. Which is also something to congratulate you on, because it's the longest it has ever been

I can only empathize with you on the cutting business. I have never had urges to cut. But since you have grown fond of braids and buns, the most helpful thing I can say to you is to put your hair up and out of the way, and forget about it. Isn't that what benign neglect is all about? That way, you can think about your hair less, and let it grow. I don't know what your routine is, or how frequently you wash your hair, but I agree that thick hair is a real nuisance when it comes to drying. I'm glad that your hair behaves better now that you leave it alone; my hair too likes less manipulation.

S&D missions oftentimes prove to be very scary, I think for most of us. Somehow, even with the best care, split ends seem to appear. But I think that with gentle handling and babying the ends, you will be seeing less and less of them. Oh, and if you feel the urge to cut, just invoke the two week rule, and in the mean time put your hair up and forget about it. That way you will have plenty of time to reconsider

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

August 6th, 2012, 9:05 pm #5

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Or should I say, "mae govannen"? :D

Yes, S&D is scary; hang in there! I think it gets better. Either that, or you get used to it, or too lazy to do it . . .

1bnii 43 3/4"
Goals: Maintain classic, but may trim back to tailbone if classic proves too unwieldy. Thicken hemline.

August 6th, 2012, 9:34 pm #6

Wishing you a warm welcome, ElanorNiphredil! Do I spy a fellow LOTR lover? Anyhow, I hope I'll get to know you better.

Your hair is lovely, to say the least. I love the color. Is it straightened for this picture? For I see that you are a 2c wavy. Oh, I'd love to see your hair wavy! But I guess this accurately represents your length. Which is also something to congratulate you on, because it's the longest it has ever been

I can only empathize with you on the cutting business. I have never had urges to cut. But since you have grown fond of braids and buns, the most helpful thing I can say to you is to put your hair up and out of the way, and forget about it. Isn't that what benign neglect is all about? That way, you can think about your hair less, and let it grow. I don't know what your routine is, or how frequently you wash your hair, but I agree that thick hair is a real nuisance when it comes to drying. I'm glad that your hair behaves better now that you leave it alone; my hair too likes less manipulation.

S&D missions oftentimes prove to be very scary, I think for most of us. Somehow, even with the best care, split ends seem to appear. But I think that with gentle handling and babying the ends, you will be seeing less and less of them. Oh, and if you feel the urge to cut, just invoke the two week rule, and in the mean time put your hair up and forget about it. That way you will have plenty of time to reconsider

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
Lol, yes I am a wee bit obsessed with LOTR, but weirdly enough that has never contributed to my hair length, even though long hair for those women was considered the height of beauty. Though, I suppose I always feel my most feminine when I have long hair, which is perhaps an old fashion idea.

Yes, my hair was straightened for that picture, and it was taken about a month ago. It was for an email I was sending to my best friend to show her my progress. I have put two pics in this post about what my hair looks like normally, please forgive the quality as I had to take them myself. In a day or so, I am going to have a friend of mine take a better shot of what my hair looks like naturally, but at least with these you sort of get the idea. I also have these weird little curls on my neck, under my heavy mass of hair.

I am really excited to try some of the suggestions offered here. One of the problems with my hair is the hassle, but I think if it isn't so dry and looks healthy, a lot of my urges to cut might go away.

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Last edited by ElanorNiphredil on August 6th, 2012, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2012, 9:40 pm #7

Or should I say, "mae govannen"? :D

Yes, S&D is scary; hang in there! I think it gets better. Either that, or you get used to it, or too lazy to do it . . .

1bnii 43 3/4"
Goals: Maintain classic, but may trim back to tailbone if classic proves too unwieldy. Thicken hemline.
Lol, le suilon!

Thanks! I am certain it will get easier, I think it was just that I had never done an S&D before which made it so overwhelming.

I have to say though, I am so inspired by all these great pictures I see here on the boards. You all have such beautiful hair, and it is great to be around people who don't:

1. Think long hair is for little girls

2. Tell me I should cut my hair off and donate it

3. Tell me to cut my hair (thereby enabling me) when I complain about the maintenance.

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36

August 6th, 2012, 9:50 pm #8

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Your hair is so lovely & thick.  Without knowing more, I can only suggest that you oil your ends daily to combat the dryness.  Also, since the thickness bothers you have you considered cutting your hemline in a U or V shape instead of blunt?  That always makes mine feel less heavy.  It's not as drastic as layers.  Some peope love layers in their hair and if you wear it down alot, you might as well, but I find them a total nightmare for braids & buns. 

August 6th, 2012, 10:12 pm #9

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
I hear you on the thick hair. I have fine but dense hair, meaning the hairs themselves are fine but I have a ton. We are very nearly hair twins! :D

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayre Forkes in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
2B/2C/F/iii
short/16.75"/27"
Various organic shampoos/condishes/stylers (varies) oils: Extra Virgin Organic Coconut, Jojoba, Avocado, camellia, argan, sweet almond, and others. Shea butter occasionally and mango butter. Massages of scalp but for the most part I'm taking a benign neglect stance.

August 6th, 2012, 10:17 pm #10

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts
Thanks!

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36

August 6th, 2012, 10:18 pm #11

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts
Thanks!

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Last edited by ElanorNiphredil on August 6th, 2012, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2012, 10:21 pm #12

Your hair is so lovely & thick.  Without knowing more, I can only suggest that you oil your ends daily to combat the dryness.  Also, since the thickness bothers you have you considered cutting your hemline in a U or V shape instead of blunt?  That always makes mine feel less heavy.  It's not as drastic as layers.  Some peope love layers in their hair and if you wear it down alot, you might as well, but I find them a total nightmare for braids & buns. 
Thanks! Yes, you are definitely right about the oil. I saw on your hair journal that you recommend Monoi and Jojoba, so I am going to go get some. I agree with you about layers. I let my hair stylist talk me into them a year ago, and I still regret it. They are long still, not short, but I can't wait until they are grown out.

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36

August 6th, 2012, 10:26 pm #13

I hear you on the thick hair. I have fine but dense hair, meaning the hairs themselves are fine but I have a ton. We are very nearly hair twins! :D

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayre Forkes in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
2B/2C/F/iii
short/16.75"/27"
Various organic shampoos/condishes/stylers (varies) oils: Extra Virgin Organic Coconut, Jojoba, Avocado, camellia, argan, sweet almond, and others. Shea butter occasionally and mango butter. Massages of scalp but for the most part I'm taking a benign neglect stance.
:D
Your message made me smile! If you have fine hair, does that mean it is really soft? Mine is normal, edging on coarse but not quite, and could not be described as soft. I am really excited to try some of the recipes I have seen on the site.

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36

August 7th, 2012, 3:46 am #14

means the size of each individual hair shaft. Take a loose hair in between two fingers. Fine hair you have to look to see if you've dropped it because you can't feel it in between your fingers. Medium you can feel. Coarse is like thread or dental floss. Any of them can be soft though.

August 7th, 2012, 8:10 am #15

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
can I have your thickness please? I would love more thickness.

By all means, try the oil as suggested. If you're wanting to try recipes and you're after soft hair (although those of us with coarse hair rarely achieve longterm softness) then a recipe containing eggs might be worth a go. Or try oil with heat. Hopefully you'll be surprised.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.)

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

August 7th, 2012, 6:50 pm #16

Lol, I know it sounds nice in theory...

To tell you the truth, we are not sure where my hair comes from, only that I got this ridiculous amount of hair. While my grandmother, aunts, mother, and sister all have thick hair, it is normal people thick, not like mine. I have cut it, dyed it, curled it, you name it and it has stayed relatively healthy. Obviously, I think there is room for improvement.

My hair dresser said she has never seen thickness like mine, but also that I should accept that it will cause problems at this length and if I keep growing it. Seriously, I might accept that if I hadn't been instituting benign neglect and using cheap products. I would like to try to see what happens though if I baby it. That's why I love all the suggestions here and I can't wait to try them!

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36

Using Jojoba Oil on the ends before sleep

August 7th, 2012, 8:01 pm #17

Lol, yes I am a wee bit obsessed with LOTR, but weirdly enough that has never contributed to my hair length, even though long hair for those women was considered the height of beauty. Though, I suppose I always feel my most feminine when I have long hair, which is perhaps an old fashion idea.

Yes, my hair was straightened for that picture, and it was taken about a month ago. It was for an email I was sending to my best friend to show her my progress. I have put two pics in this post about what my hair looks like normally, please forgive the quality as I had to take them myself. In a day or so, I am going to have a friend of mine take a better shot of what my hair looks like naturally, but at least with these you sort of get the idea. I also have these weird little curls on my neck, under my heavy mass of hair.

I am really excited to try some of the suggestions offered here. One of the problems with my hair is the hassle, but I think if it isn't so dry and looks healthy, a lot of my urges to cut might go away.

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Oh, I love your hair wavy! I can't wait for new pics

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

August 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm #18

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Your hair looks soooo soft and thick!

August 9th, 2012, 8:47 pm #19

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
Wow! Beautiful hair!!

August 11th, 2012, 1:48 pm #20

Hi Everyone,

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
I love the wavy haired picture of your hair! It looks so pretty straightened too, but I love the wavy the best!

My long hair albumhttp://public.fotki.com/jen5972/?cmd=neweditalbum

My blog:http://jen5972.blogspot.com/
Some of my favorite Products:
Trader Joes Nourish conditioner
Giovanni Nutrafix conditioner
Burt's Bees Avacado Butter Hair Treatment
Silk Drops
Apricot Kernel Oil/Almond Oil mix
Jojoba oil
Avrilon's recipe for detangler

ahseng
ahseng

October 27th, 2012, 7:38 pm #21

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36
you have beautiful hair! whether it's been straighten or not. with encouragements from the loomers, hope you'll have longer hair than before and as what you've dreamt of. good luck on long hair growing journey

Confirmation of reply: