I'm new here

I'm new here

August 9th, 2012, 4:18 am #1

but I've been browsing around for about a week or so.. You all seem very lovely so I thought I'd finally get in the game and share a little bit about myself. I've always liked to keep my hair on the longer side, except for that a-line bob experiment when I was 11.. Besides that, it's always been a least an inch or two past my shoulders, typically just maintaining it at BSL (which I've never gotten past).

Random things: I box dye my hair black about every year. I've been looking into going the hendigo route though. My natural color is a lighter brown then I would like to have. I have a VERY oily scalp. A good chunk of my width is in bang form after a not so great turn out for my on a whim blunt bangs. They've grown a little over an inch though! And I am not a fan of having my hair up or styled in any way (unfortunately).

So anyway, about a month or so ago I decided to commit to growth so I began hunting around for tips to keeping healthy long hair.. and came across here! So here I am. I plan to learn plenty and keep my hair healthy!

Oh and I believe the waves in the picture aren't my own.. I think they're mostly -only left my hair braided until my hair was partially dry because it was driving me crazy- waves. Although they could be.. I don't see myself from behind all that often .

1bNiii
Start: Around 25"
Short term goal: Just maintain a healthy length
Long term goal: Oh how I would love to reach classic!
Just started using CV bars and LOVING it
Followed by ACV rinse
Jojoba oil on the ends when needed

August 9th, 2012, 8:04 am #2

Glad you joined us. Seriously, if you really want to reach classic then you might have to make friends with braids at the very least. Buns or braids protect the hair and the longer your hair the more fragile the ends because it's the oldest hair on your head.

I used herbal henna but never henndigo. Do your research first. I believe the indigo can fade quicker than the henna, giving you undesired results. But as I said, I haven't tried it.

Sounds as if the rest of your routine is good. Look forward to watching you grow to longer lengths.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

August 9th, 2012, 9:25 am #3

but I've been browsing around for about a week or so.. You all seem very lovely so I thought I'd finally get in the game and share a little bit about myself. I've always liked to keep my hair on the longer side, except for that a-line bob experiment when I was 11.. Besides that, it's always been a least an inch or two past my shoulders, typically just maintaining it at BSL (which I've never gotten past).

Random things: I box dye my hair black about every year. I've been looking into going the hendigo route though. My natural color is a lighter brown then I would like to have. I have a VERY oily scalp. A good chunk of my width is in bang form after a not so great turn out for my on a whim blunt bangs. They've grown a little over an inch though! And I am not a fan of having my hair up or styled in any way (unfortunately).

So anyway, about a month or so ago I decided to commit to growth so I began hunting around for tips to keeping healthy long hair.. and came across here! So here I am. I plan to learn plenty and keep my hair healthy!

Oh and I believe the waves in the picture aren't my own.. I think they're mostly -only left my hair braided until my hair was partially dry because it was driving me crazy- waves. Although they could be.. I don't see myself from behind all that often .

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
I used to use a darker shaded henna, however these 'different shades' do contain a chemical, sodium picramate, which allows the henna to come out slightly different colours. This isn't as bad for your hair as normal dyes but i found out after using it quite a few times that if you decide you really dont like the henna you have to let it grow out because normal dyes react badly to sodium picramate. Also the henna did used to fade quite quickly, though never enough to leave my hair completely so the really deep red i got would turn bright orange quite quickly, especially if i went swimming or out in the sun! So i stopped using it!

Ok enough rambling other people have used henna for years and love it, so just do your research!

1bNii
Current routine and products: Natural argan oil hair soap and white wine vinegar rinse once a week.
Jojoba or olive oil massages once a week before wash.
Boar bristle brush and horn comb.

August 9th, 2012, 9:46 am #4

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
We're glad you're here!

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayre Forkes in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
2B/2C/F/iii
short/16.75"/27"
Various organic shampoos/condishes/stylers (varies) oils: Extra Virgin Organic Coconut, Jojoba, Avocado, camellia, argan, sweet almond, and others. Shea butter occasionally and mango butter. Massages of scalp but for the most part I'm taking a benign neglect stance.

August 9th, 2012, 11:04 am #5

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
I hope you will feel at home here, Callie! Your hair looks so pretty. I love the waves!

I have never dyed my hair, so I know nothing about the process of making henndigo. I think it's a two-step process, and that it can be quite tricky, but you will need to further research that on your own. Though, if I may say, you can still dye your hair with a box dye and have healthy hair. You will just need to baby it, but it can be done.
That said, I have to agree with Jules - for growing out hair to longer lengths, it's important to contain your hair somehow. That way you can minimize the potential damage that may present an obstacle to reaching your goal. I don't know if your hair is resilient enough for wearing hair down (medium/normal hair can be sturdy), but it won't certainly do any harm if you put your hair out of the way now and then. You don't have to like updos, but braids are great. And they can't get boring no matter what

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

August 9th, 2012, 1:54 pm #6

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
n/m

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse. Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

August 9th, 2012, 7:47 pm #7

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
n/m

Chrissy
1afii
First goal - pony stub
15/ /30

August 9th, 2012, 11:43 pm #8

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
Welcome from a fellow newbie!

You have such pretty hair!

~~ElanorNiphredil

-:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:--:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:-

2cMiii, 29/36

Using Jojoba Oil on the ends before sleep

August 9th, 2012, 11:57 pm #9

Glad you joined us. Seriously, if you really want to reach classic then you might have to make friends with braids at the very least. Buns or braids protect the hair and the longer your hair the more fragile the ends because it's the oldest hair on your head.

I used herbal henna but never henndigo. Do your research first. I believe the indigo can fade quicker than the henna, giving you undesired results. But as I said, I haven't tried it.

Sounds as if the rest of your routine is good. Look forward to watching you grow to longer lengths.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes
Ooo I know I'll have to make peace with braids. I've been trying to sleep with one lately. Hopefully I'll make it through a night soon. Just gotta gradually get used to it

And yeah, about the henndigo business.. I'm still not sure if I'm willing to try it because I just don't know what it will do. I just recently dyed and was contemplating trying it, but just went with my usual box of junk instead.

Thanks for the welcome!

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse

August 10th, 2012, 12:00 am #10

I used to use a darker shaded henna, however these 'different shades' do contain a chemical, sodium picramate, which allows the henna to come out slightly different colours. This isn't as bad for your hair as normal dyes but i found out after using it quite a few times that if you decide you really dont like the henna you have to let it grow out because normal dyes react badly to sodium picramate. Also the henna did used to fade quite quickly, though never enough to leave my hair completely so the really deep red i got would turn bright orange quite quickly, especially if i went swimming or out in the sun! So i stopped using it!

Ok enough rambling other people have used henna for years and love it, so just do your research!

1bNii
Current routine and products: Natural argan oil hair soap and white wine vinegar rinse once a week.
Jojoba or olive oil massages once a week before wash.
Boar bristle brush and horn comb.
Oh I see... And yeah I still have a lot of research to do. Thanks for sharing your experience, it certainly helps and I'll keep it in mind.

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse

August 10th, 2012, 12:00 am #11

We're glad you're here!

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayre Forkes in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
2B/2C/F/iii
short/16.75"/27"
Various organic shampoos/condishes/stylers (varies) oils: Extra Virgin Organic Coconut, Jojoba, Avocado, camellia, argan, sweet almond, and others. Shea butter occasionally and mango butter. Massages of scalp but for the most part I'm taking a benign neglect stance.
Thanks

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse

August 10th, 2012, 12:13 am #12

I hope you will feel at home here, Callie! Your hair looks so pretty. I love the waves!

I have never dyed my hair, so I know nothing about the process of making henndigo. I think it's a two-step process, and that it can be quite tricky, but you will need to further research that on your own. Though, if I may say, you can still dye your hair with a box dye and have healthy hair. You will just need to baby it, but it can be done.
That said, I have to agree with Jules - for growing out hair to longer lengths, it's important to contain your hair somehow. That way you can minimize the potential damage that may present an obstacle to reaching your goal. I don't know if your hair is resilient enough for wearing hair down (medium/normal hair can be sturdy), but it won't certainly do any harm if you put your hair out of the way now and then. You don't have to like updos, but braids are great. And they can't get boring no matter what

Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Well, I think part of the reason I've been so comfortable with my hair being down and around, is because it almost always stays manageable. I hardly get tangles. But I do notice myself being rough with sometimes.. and it just likes to get caught in things, haha. So I know I have to get used to braids if I do want to continue to grow it out. And be much more gentle. It's a work in progress and hopefully I overcome it.

And oh yeah, I really admire your hair

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse

August 10th, 2012, 12:13 am #13

n/m

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse. Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts
Thanks!

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse

August 10th, 2012, 12:17 am #14

Welcome from a fellow newbie!

You have such pretty hair!

~~ElanorNiphredil

-:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:--:¦:-:*'""*:.-:¦:-* *-:¦:-:*'''''*:-:¦:-

2cMiii, 29/36

Hey!
Thanks
And I have to say, when I saw your hair, my jaw dropped. Its so shiny and full!

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse

August 10th, 2012, 12:48 am #15

Thanks! It is the biggest pain you can ever imagine. I almost felt like putting my hair type as a 4, instead of a 3 for thickness, just because it is so hard to describe how thick my hair is. I am so glad to have found this place because I need all the help with it I can get!

~~ElanorNiphredil

2cMiii, 29/36

August 10th, 2012, 1:37 am #16

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
Your hair is very pretty!

My hair journal:http://www.network54.com/Forum/496746/
1cniii Hair Type - Length:45 1/2" Goal: 48" Products - Currently Using:
Suave Scalp Solution Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, Nourishing Coconut and Shea Butter alternated with CV & Lush Shampoo Bars Monoi or Virgin de Coco Creme on ends daily
Shea Butter Creamy Souffle as pre-wash conditioner. Wash 1-2 times a week. Wide tooth wood & bakelite combs. TT on wet hair. BBB 20-30 strokes daily. Braid before bed and oil ends.

August 11th, 2012, 1:42 pm #17

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
Your hair is beautiful!

My long hair albumhttp://public.fotki.com/jen5972/?cmd=neweditalbum

My blog:http://jen5972.blogspot.com/
Some of my favorite Products:
Trader Joes Nourish conditioner
Giovanni Nutrafix conditioner
Burt's Bees Avacado Butter Hair Treatment
Silk Drops
Apricot Kernel Oil/Almond Oil mix
Jojoba oil
Avrilon's recipe for detangler

August 16th, 2012, 7:55 pm #18

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
Welcome & I love your pic! Hope you find many useful ideas on keeping your hair healthy- I've found the advice here invaluable in my own journey.

Happy growing!

Ariya

August 2012

Hair Idol:
"Undine" by Waterhouse

3a(ish)Miii

Curliness depends very much on the weather & how dry/moist my hair is
(Also, it seems to have gotten curlier as it grew longer)

July 2012: Goal met- 40 inches!

24/40.5/Setting my sights on new lengths...

Virgin hair since March 06
Growing out a pixie cut since March 06

Trying no 'poo... using HO (honey only) instead of shampoo, conditioning with oil when needed
Loving it!

Oils: jojoba for light conditioning, olive for heavy conditioning

ahseng
ahseng

September 20th, 2012, 10:30 am #19

1bNiii
Followed by ACV rinse
Welcome to the Loom So, how long do you planned on growing your hair?

Confirmation of reply: