I have decided

I have decided

May 29th, 2012, 10:29 pm #1

to grow out my bangs.  I never had them before, because of having wavy hair, wasn't sure if I would like always having to blow them dry.  Decided to take the plunge and then enjoyed them for about 20 years now.  But it's time to go back.  As I've aged, my hair is drammatically thinning and my wispy bangs are a little too wispy now and I do not want to take any more hair from the non-bangs to fill them in.  Also, I'm growing tired of alwyas having to blow them out.  I'm tired of them looking great in the morning and as they get oilier througout the day, not laying right.  I'm tired of not being able to wear hats because they flatten out.  So far, I've just combed them to the side instead of the middle and they're blending in, I don't think it'll be hard at all to deal with as they grow out.  I'm excited.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown

Mermayd
2bfii
18/33/33
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose S&C
Coconut oil deep treatments with heat
wide-tooth jumbo rake comb
wooden comb

May 30th, 2012, 12:24 am #2

I have talked myself out of bangs many times, for the reasons you have said. I do love hats, and that is reason enough! Happy growing!

April 2012

October 2011

August 2011

1BFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse. Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb.
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

May 30th, 2012, 2:01 am #3

to grow out my bangs.  I never had them before, because of having wavy hair, wasn't sure if I would like always having to blow them dry.  Decided to take the plunge and then enjoyed them for about 20 years now.  But it's time to go back.  As I've aged, my hair is drammatically thinning and my wispy bangs are a little too wispy now and I do not want to take any more hair from the non-bangs to fill them in.  Also, I'm growing tired of alwyas having to blow them out.  I'm tired of them looking great in the morning and as they get oilier througout the day, not laying right.  I'm tired of not being able to wear hats because they flatten out.  So far, I've just combed them to the side instead of the middle and they're blending in, I don't think it'll be hard at all to deal with as they grow out.  I'm excited.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown

Mermayd
2bfii
18/33/33
wooden comb
it wasn't something drastic like cutting your beautiful hair or dying it green and purple. Bangs are such as easy change (or so I've heard). If you don't like them grown out, you can always cut them in again. At least you know now how you look with them and what they pros and cons are.

I hate hats so. I look silly in them - with or without bangs. Keep us posted of your progress.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

mermayd
mermayd

May 30th, 2012, 3:09 am #4

I don't look good in green and purple! So far I am loving not having bangs. It's just so easy now to center part my hair after washing, comb it out and I'm good to go! I hope this keeps up. My husband now tells me he has never liked my bangs!! At least I have his approval!

mermayd

May 30th, 2012, 4:48 am #5

Mermayd
2bfii
18/33/33
wooden comb
Like you I didn't find it hard to grow mine because they are thin ones and even now if I brush them off to the sides you can barely see them. I sort of feel I have the best of both worlds 'cause it looks as if I don't have bangs. When I want them I do have to blow dry them to make them look good, there's that stubborn part in the middle. And, yes, hats make them look goofy. I mean, if I wear a hat then it has to stay on until I come home.

I should grow mine out too! You got me thinking about it... it's been years since I had all one length hair.

elvea rose ~
guardian of faerie mist tresses
1c / ultra fine / i

"...like the soft light of the moon silvering
over the evening of life." ~ Johann Paul Friedrich Richter

My hopeful goal is ~
Tresses to my hips and mock faerie-tale endings
... or the real ones someday...

My hair does well with Sweet Almond Oil for everyday oiling,
it's blended with Rose Geranium and Rosemary.
EVOO for deeper treatments.
Every so often I soak my tresses before I wash with a diluted batch
of Napa Valley Oak Aged Organic White Wine Vinegar.
Love Alba's Acai shampoo and conditioner.
When I remember, I massage a little of Desert Lily's aloe vera
gel on my scalp just before a shampooing.

Winter's dawn '11, tresses fall at 28.5 inches.
Springturn '12 after a trim, nudging 30

mermayd
mermayd

May 30th, 2012, 6:28 am #6

I hadn't even THOUGHT about growing them out. I just kind of woke up the other day and thought to myself "I'm done having bangs, I think I'll grow them out." I am not too stressed about when they'll be the same length as the rest of my hair either. I know they'll blend just fine when I comb them off to the side. I don't wear hats often, but when I do want one (like to shade my eyes) I get frustrated that I have them. Most of my frustration with the bangs comes from the fact that they look really good after I wash my hair and blowdry the bangs. But as the day wears on, they just don't look good anymore, they get oilier and start to curl more and misbehave. I'm just tired of them. Let me know if you decide to grow out! I'm excited about it.

mermayd

Fox

May 30th, 2012, 6:30 am #7

I don't look good in green and purple! So far I am loving not having bangs. It's just so easy now to center part my hair after washing, comb it out and I'm good to go! I hope this keeps up. My husband now tells me he has never liked my bangs!! At least I have his approval!

mermayd
Well, I give your husband credit for letting you wear your hair how "you" liked it for 20 years! I am actually growing out my bangs too. While I haven't had straight across the forehead "bangs" for a long, long time, I had cut wispy side fringe in. But like you, I feel with the thinning hair it's time to grow it back out and see how my hair does. When my hair was thickest, I didn't have bangs, so I'm wondering if that will give me a little boost. We can grow out together.

-Fox

January 2010
Special thanks to Carlynn for my custom doll signature!
17/32.75/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:<a href="">http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>
My Journal: <a href="">http://www.longhairloom.com/foxjournal.htm> Faithfully Fox </a>

Want custom sticks? Please visit: Sticks and Stones, Hairsticks by Fox

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

"Love makes you beautiful" - quote from my nephew at age 7

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars

Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners

Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)

MP Popular Mix Brush and Pure BB brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

May 30th, 2012, 2:59 pm #8

Mermayd
2bfii
18/33/33
wooden comb
If I had thicker hair, I would keep bangs as I love how they soften the look of updos, which I wear most of the time. However, they do steal thickness-I can add .5 inches to my pony circumference by growing them out-so growing them out I am, even 1/2" can make a lot of difference with my meager hair.
My stylist also does not want to cut them in while my hair is long-I've gone in asking for them a few times and she's disuaded me from them saying that with longer length I need my hair to be close to one length(long layers).
I did have them when I cut to shoulder in Jan 2011.
I hear what you're saying about hats. I live in a cold climate in the winter and they are a pain with hats/vs not having them. Another good reason to grow them out.
My hair actually gets wavier and curlier with length so if I cut my hair short it goes almost completely straight so I have no problem straightening them(and keeping them straight) but I used to like to curl them as they gave me a lift and some extra body around my face. I would do my updos, and them curl them,but now since my hair is getting longer I've grown them out. I definetely feel styling is easier without them so I think you'll like not having bangs-
Good luck growing!!
P.S. My husband likes me better without them, too!

Last edited by Babyfine2008 on May 30th, 2012, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 30th, 2012, 6:42 pm #9

Mermayd
2bfii
18/33/33
wooden comb
I have long bangs that I can pull back, tuck behind my ears or leave down as I wish. I love them. I too wear hats (mainly cowboy or ball caps) and I love the versatility of my choice.
Happy growing to you...

1aFiii auburn (natural)

May 31st, 2012, 2:59 pm #10

Mermayd
2bfii
18/33/33
wooden comb
Like Jules, I was relieved too when I read you have decided to grow out your bangs, and not do something drastic! As I don't know a thing about having bangs, I'm just going to wish you happy growing

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

June 1st, 2012, 3:52 am #11

it wasn't something drastic like cutting your beautiful hair or dying it green and purple. Bangs are such as easy change (or so I've heard). If you don't like them grown out, you can always cut them in again. At least you know now how you look with them and what they pros and cons are.

I hate hats so. I look silly in them - with or without bangs. Keep us posted of your progress.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes
What's wrong with purple?

25.5"//classic
new routine! still figuring it out:
No sls, no heat, cone serum sometimes
wash once or twice a week
deep moisture treatments once a month

mermayd
mermayd

June 4th, 2012, 12:37 am #12

Nothing . . . on you!

mermayd

October 31st, 2012, 2:15 pm #13

Mermayd
2bfii
18/33/33
wooden comb
I'm always surprised when people who have hair that is wavy like mine or even less wavy than mine say they have to straighten their bangs. All the years I had bangs they were always straight. My hair is straight until it gets to about shoulder length.

Confirmation of reply: