I have an issue

I have an issue

September 12th, 2017, 4:44 pm #1

And I don't know what to do. First off, my hair is to my bra-strap, very fine, and thin, and color treated with demi to cover greys.
I had it even longer but I recently had a few inches cut off as the stylist said the ends were very thin and damaged. the Reason?
I was wearing it down and in low ponies a lot more due to shoulder and neck pain. This is a testimony to the fact that wearing hair up will protect it.
I used to wear my hair up about 75% to 80% of the time, with pretty hair toys. But about 6 months ago I started having neck issues and shoulder issues(I think I pulled a muscle at work) and have been seeing a chiropractor to keep it worked out. Sometimes I'm alright, but it came back about a week ago. I just can't seem to get rid of it.
The long story short is any updo with a hair toy seems to pull on my neck in a way that is uncomfortable. Not so if it's completely down. I'm experimenting with different positions but I've been wearing my hair down a lot more which I think, caused me to have to get 2" cut off, something I never had to do before-but I wore it up a lot more then.
I always thought that having such uber-fine hair would at least keep me from these kind of problems as it grew longer, but apparently not. Ponytails are an issue, too.
I really can't braid, and don't really like English braids on me as one reason I like the updo's is I can make it look like I have some volume around my face. I will have to learn how to French braid, I've tried and can't do it.
I'm wondering if the only option is to cut it short.
If I cut it honestly I'm going to want a body perm, as my hair only gains waves as it grows longer, (as per Lorraine Massey's Curly girl book) and goes bone straight at shorter lengths, and falls thin and flat.
Maybe a shoulder length cut and perm, so I could keep from looking little old ladyish.
I don't know the answer.
Also I meant to mention that I live in a part of the U.S. where summers are very hot and humid, and that's another reason I loved to have long hair, so I could put it up and get it off my neck in the summer. Having it down is too hot.
I really don't want to cut it. Of course my stylist thinks I should cut it, as it's so fine. But she's never seen it short, and short it loses all wave and body. It does not pop up the curl, as she thinks it would. Hence why I'm thinking of the perm.
Last edited by Babyfine2008 on September 12th, 2017, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2017, 7:33 pm #2

First off, I'm sorry you are experiencing neck and shoulder pain. Muscles can take a long time to heal and get back into form. Have you went to a doctor for that matter, perhaps, to check if the muscle(s) are getting back to normal?
I'm sorry that updos are now uncomfortable for you, and the bad effect it had on your hair. Even though things are now difficult for you, I don't think you should commit to cutting your hair. I think the fact that you don't want to cut it is reason enough. But also, you know your hair better than your stylist, and you know how it behaves when short.

I would first think of how to work with your current situation. If I understood correctly, no matter what the position of the updo on your head, it's uncomfortable for your neck?
My first suggestion would have been to section your hair and do several smaller buns to distribute the weight evenly. Those updos would have to be secured with hair pins or bobby pins, also in order to distribute the weight of the hair better.

A style which offers uniform hair distribution is the coronet braid (or very similar milkmaid braids). Since only English braids are involved, you could pull it off. If bobby pins are uncomfortable to you for any reason, you could try hair taping to secure the braid(s) to your scalp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

On a side note - can you use that hair snood attached to a barrette, which we talked about here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/235232/t ... iew+Thread

Since you can do a low ponytail, maybe stuffing your ponytail in the snood could be good?
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

September 13th, 2017, 9:59 pm #3

I really don't want to cut. I have been thinking of milkmaid braids, I am going to try them tomorrow. I wish I could French braid, I've loved that style forever, I just can't seem to do it on myself. I've seen a chiropractor not a regular GP. It comes and goes, it's feeling better today.

September 14th, 2017, 5:54 am #4

And I don't know what to do. First off, my hair is to my bra-strap, very fine, and thin, and color treated with demi to cover greys.
I had it even longer but I recently had a few inches cut off as the stylist said the ends were very thin and damaged. the Reason?
I was wearing it down and in low ponies a lot more due to shoulder and neck pain. This is a testimony to the fact that wearing hair up will protect it.
I used to wear my hair up about 75% to 80% of the time, with pretty hair toys. But about 6 months ago I started having neck issues and shoulder issues(I think I pulled a muscle at work) and have been seeing a chiropractor to keep it worked out. Sometimes I'm alright, but it came back about a week ago. I just can't seem to get rid of it.
The long story short is any updo with a hair toy seems to pull on my neck in a way that is uncomfortable. Not so if it's completely down. I'm experimenting with different positions but I've been wearing my hair down a lot more which I think, caused me to have to get 2" cut off, something I never had to do before-but I wore it up a lot more then.
I always thought that having such uber-fine hair would at least keep me from these kind of problems as it grew longer, but apparently not. Ponytails are an issue, too.
I really can't braid, and don't really like English braids on me as one reason I like the updo's is I can make it look like I have some volume around my face. I will have to learn how to French braid, I've tried and can't do it.
If I cut it honestly I'm going to want a body perm, as my hair only gains waves as it grows longer, (as per Lorraine Massey's Curly girl book) and goes bone straight at shorter lengths, and falls thin and flat.
Maybe a shoulder length cut and perm, so I could keep from looking little old ladyish.
I don't know the answer.
Also I meant to mention that I live in a part of the U.S. where summers are very hot and humid, and that's another reason I loved to have long hair, so I could put it up and get it off my neck in the summer. Having it down is too hot.
I really don't want to cut it. Of course my stylist thinks I should cut it, as it's so fine. But she's never seen it short, and short it loses all wave and body. It does not pop up the curl, as she thinks it would. Hence why I'm thinking of the perm.
I'm with Ohtawwen - it sounds as if you don't want to cut, so please don't. You won't be happy. You've invested so much time and care into your hair - please don't throw that away. And your neck could be better in a few months (hopefully sooner) but your hair will take longer than that to grow out again.

I like Ohtawen's idea of a snood. There are some lovely ones on Etsy and eBay.

I know you said hair toys hurt, but is it all hair toys? I'm asking because I've found that while forks and sticks are great for distributing weight, they have to be the right kind. I recently bought some gorgeous sticks and hair cages online and they are no good for a whole day at work. Too lightweight or something and my head ends up aching after a short time. Fox's sticks are comfortable, as are ketylo sticks and some forks, but I do have to be careful as some definitely are not of the same quality.

For a long time I found a Dutch braid easier to do than a French braid. It was just easier holding all the strands at once and doing the cross-under rather than cross-overs. Might be worth trying?

I don't like an English braid on myself either, but have you tried starting it higher than usual or doing it on the side or adding an accent braid or doing a pompadour or half up first and then braiding? It might be enough to make it passable as a style to get you out of trouble while you deal with your pain.

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

September 14th, 2017, 9:14 pm #5

I really don't want to cut. I have been thinking of milkmaid braids, I am going to try them tomorrow. I wish I could French braid, I've loved that style forever, I just can't seem to do it on myself. I've seen a chiropractor not a regular GP. It comes and goes, it's feeling better today.
your hair, that's all your stylist needs to know. Like Jules said below, you have put so much time and effort into growing your hair, not to mention the love and attachment you have towards it. It would be a pity to cut your hair and then be unhappy for a while, until it grew back.

Personally, I'm glad that you have decided to work on a solution When there's a will, there's a way

I think you should try styles that you can do currently - like trying out different updos with English braids - in order to get a base of styles which are comfortable for your neck. Once you have several comfy 'dos you can rotate, you can turn to learning how to French or Dutch braid etc. Learning to French and Dutch braid wasn't easy for me too. Just like Jules, I've always found Dutch braiding much easier. I guess that braiding the hair under enables me to keep the hair separated better.

I also thought about some updos that you might find comfy, because the hair is distributed in a different way than with a single hair toy:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFpfwKgOocY
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYaEst5w1xM
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSARin9SJrY
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA (When I saw Jules' suggestion about modifying an English braid to look more French, I remembered Torrin's great tutorial.)

I hope you find something among those suggestions that will work for you

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs

September 14th, 2017, 10:12 pm #6

I'm with Ohtawwen - it sounds as if you don't want to cut, so please don't. You won't be happy. You've invested so much time and care into your hair - please don't throw that away. And your neck could be better in a few months (hopefully sooner) but your hair will take longer than that to grow out again.

I like Ohtawen's idea of a snood. There are some lovely ones on Etsy and eBay.

I know you said hair toys hurt, but is it all hair toys? I'm asking because I've found that while forks and sticks are great for distributing weight, they have to be the right kind. I recently bought some gorgeous sticks and hair cages online and they are no good for a whole day at work. Too lightweight or something and my head ends up aching after a short time. Fox's sticks are comfortable, as are ketylo sticks and some forks, but I do have to be careful as some definitely are not of the same quality.

For a long time I found a Dutch braid easier to do than a French braid. It was just easier holding all the strands at once and doing the cross-under rather than cross-overs. Might be worth trying?

I don't like an English braid on myself either, but have you tried starting it higher than usual or doing it on the side or adding an accent braid or doing a pompadour or half up first and then braiding? It might be enough to make it passable as a style to get you out of trouble while you deal with your pain.
You've given me some great ideas! I don't want to cut. And it seems so crazy I always thought head and neck aching was for people with super thick hair-something I don't have!! Yes I am experimenting with sticks and pins, and getting away from the claws and toys until my neck heals up.
a snood is a good idea I have forgotten about those!
I'm going to practice braiding because I think a braid will distribute the weight better.
there's a reason I think that you see very long braids in places where the women grow their hair out very long, for life. Much more comfortable.

September 14th, 2017, 10:13 pm #7

your hair, that's all your stylist needs to know. Like Jules said below, you have put so much time and effort into growing your hair, not to mention the love and attachment you have towards it. It would be a pity to cut your hair and then be unhappy for a while, until it grew back.

Personally, I'm glad that you have decided to work on a solution When there's a will, there's a way

I think you should try styles that you can do currently - like trying out different updos with English braids - in order to get a base of styles which are comfortable for your neck. Once you have several comfy 'dos you can rotate, you can turn to learning how to French or Dutch braid etc. Learning to French and Dutch braid wasn't easy for me too. Just like Jules, I've always found Dutch braiding much easier. I guess that braiding the hair under enables me to keep the hair separated better.

I also thought about some updos that you might find comfy, because the hair is distributed in a different way than with a single hair toy:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFpfwKgOocY
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYaEst5w1xM
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSARin9SJrY
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA (When I saw Jules' suggestion about modifying an English braid to look more French, I remembered Torrin's great tutorial.)

I hope you find something among those suggestions that will work for you
Thanks for the videos!

September 15th, 2017, 5:26 am #8

You've given me some great ideas! I don't want to cut. And it seems so crazy I always thought head and neck aching was for people with super thick hair-something I don't have!! Yes I am experimenting with sticks and pins, and getting away from the claws and toys until my neck heals up.
I'm going to practice braiding because I think a braid will distribute the weight better.
there's a reason I think that you see very long braids in places where the women grow their hair out very long, for life. Much more comfortable.
I actually find French and Dutch braids pull on my head after a while. I might just be securing them too tightly because once I remove the elastic, the pain seems to diminish.

Another thing I thought of, are you holding your head differently when you wear an updo? It might sound like a silly question, but when my hair is up, I can only drive short distances as I hold my head differently to keep the bun off the headrest. I always wear a braid if driving for long periods. So even if you're not driving, you might be holding your head differently and putting pressure on your neck.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with hair thickness. I can't use bobby pins or claw clips because they make my head ache yet I know someone with thick ankle length hair who relies on claw clips. And having suffered with neuralgia, I know there are times I can't even bear to comb my hair and an updo or braid just isn't going to happen on those days. So sending sympathy for what you're enduring.

I'm glad you're looking for a solution and I hope you find one. If you want to cut, that's fine, but I'd hate to see you do it when you don't want to. We're here to keep working with you to find something that does work.

And please, let's celebrate thin hair (although yours never looks thin in photos but I'll take your word for it). I had a lady come and do a quote for me today - probably several years older than me - thin grey hair in an updo and wispy bangs and I thought she looked feminine and elegant. I definitely wasn't thinking that she needed to cut and get a perm or something to add volume.

Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

September 15th, 2017, 4:29 pm #9

Hi, Babyfine! Braids are awesome, and I usually do okay with them for hair distribution (even though my hair is also very silky and untextured), although, like people are saying, they can start to wear on you after a while, especially if the strands are moved near the scalp in ways contrary to their growth patterns.

I recently discovered a new way to wear my hair, that reminds me of milkmaid braids a bit in terms of silhouette, but doesn't actually involve any braids. It's a Guatemalan traditional style that I stumbled across while researching options for a Cultural Day at work. It reminds me of Italian hair taping, but far less complex. My hair stayed up all day long--without pins!--and I had no soreness that night (after 11 ours or so of wearing it). Obviously, buying the traditional wraps would be super pricey--totally worth it for the artistry, just not in my budget right now--but if you needed something just get 4-5 feet of a slightly textured ribbon or woven trim and finish the ends in some way. You could even get some to match your hair, if you wanted a more subtle effect, like in a professional context.

Here's the tutorial (I also posted more info in the Styling Station, because I am super pleased with this, to be honest!):
https://www.hiptipico.com/blogs/culture/tocoyal

Your hair is lovely, and you've worked very hard to keep it healthy. I hope you're able to find some new styling methods that allow you to keep your length, but also your comfort!

September 16th, 2017, 5:07 pm #10

I actually find French and Dutch braids pull on my head after a while. I might just be securing them too tightly because once I remove the elastic, the pain seems to diminish.

Another thing I thought of, are you holding your head differently when you wear an updo? It might sound like a silly question, but when my hair is up, I can only drive short distances as I hold my head differently to keep the bun off the headrest. I always wear a braid if driving for long periods. So even if you're not driving, you might be holding your head differently and putting pressure on your neck.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with hair thickness. I can't use bobby pins or claw clips because they make my head ache yet I know someone with thick ankle length hair who relies on claw clips. And having suffered with neuralgia, I know there are times I can't even bear to comb my hair and an updo or braid just isn't going to happen on those days. So sending sympathy for what you're enduring.

I'm glad you're looking for a solution and I hope you find one. If you want to cut, that's fine, but I'd hate to see you do it when you don't want to. We're here to keep working with you to find something that does work.

And please, let's celebrate thin hair (although yours never looks thin in photos but I'll take your word for it). I had a lady come and do a quote for me today - probably several years older than me - thin grey hair in an updo and wispy bangs and I thought she looked feminine and elegant. I definitely wasn't thinking that she needed to cut and get a perm or something to add volume.
I think I do hold my head differently. I don't think the problem was caused by my updos/hair toys, but I think I pulled a muscle and it's taken forever to heal and then got maybe re-injured. I have been experimenting with different styles. On wash day I wear my hair down with mousse or gel. On non wash days I used to put it up, but right now I have that in a low ponytail. I really need to learn how to French or Dutch Braid. I never really did because I wear my hair down to sleep, and it would always go in a topknot, cinnabun or French twist on non wash days to protect the ends.
Thank you for your compliments! Actually because of the wave factor, it looks thicker down, and compresses to practically nothing in a teeny- weeny braid. I know they can be pulled out to look thicker, but I've never been able to do that where it looks decent.
Which is why I usually either tuck it in an updo or wear a ponytail (with a soft scrunchie), both of which can be manipulated to give the illusion of thicker hair. I like the updos best because they protect the ends. Thanks for your kind words.
You know, my husband much prefers my hair down, but I've had compliments on my updos. I had a lady at the grocery story tell me she thought my hair looked so elegant in my French twist held with a ficcarre. As far as the lady you saw, I've been thinking of wispy bangs, right now I have side swept bangs, which I usually wind up clipping back as they just fall in my face at work. I think I've posted on this issue before. When my hair gets to greater lengths, I've found that growing my bangs out adds to my pony circumference, and I had my hair ALL ONE LENGTH just until a few months ago, when I got the idea to get side bangs again. But now that I'm having this issue, maybe bangs would be a good thing.

September 16th, 2017, 5:10 pm #11

Hi, Babyfine! Braids are awesome, and I usually do okay with them for hair distribution (even though my hair is also very silky and untextured), although, like people are saying, they can start to wear on you after a while, especially if the strands are moved near the scalp in ways contrary to their growth patterns.

I recently discovered a new way to wear my hair, that reminds me of milkmaid braids a bit in terms of silhouette, but doesn't actually involve any braids. It's a Guatemalan traditional style that I stumbled across while researching options for a Cultural Day at work. It reminds me of Italian hair taping, but far less complex. My hair stayed up all day long--without pins!--and I had no soreness that night (after 11 ours or so of wearing it). Obviously, buying the traditional wraps would be super pricey--totally worth it for the artistry, just not in my budget right now--but if you needed something just get 4-5 feet of a slightly textured ribbon or woven trim and finish the ends in some way. You could even get some to match your hair, if you wanted a more subtle effect, like in a professional context.

Here's the tutorial (I also posted more info in the Styling Station, because I am super pleased with this, to be honest!):

Your hair is lovely, and you've worked very hard to keep it healthy. I hope you're able to find some new styling methods that allow you to keep your length, but also your comfort!
Thanks for that! It does look like it would be very comfortable! And so pretty!
Since I am "all thumbs" I may have problems doing that without help, but I'll look into it.
As I alluded to in my first post, I think looking to cultures where women wear their hair long for life will help with the issue, which is usually braids or styles like you show here!
Thank You for your compliment!
Last edited by Babyfine2008 on September 16th, 2017, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 17th, 2017, 4:33 pm #12

it's so nice to see you Also, thank you for posting about the tocoyal style. I had no idea about this, so it's really a revelation for me. It seems like such a clever way of putting the hair up! Thank you for the link. I will be certain to try this out as soon as I can.

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

September 19th, 2017, 3:33 pm #13

I don't know the answer.
I have very thick hair, but I thought my tip might help anyway. When I've had issues with updos causing tension and headaches and such, I would change up my styles to use smaller sections -- that is, I would start with a half-up updo, then wrap the remaining hair around the undo. Or the opposite: section off the front of the hair, do an undo with the back hair, then add in the front hair (Like the Victorians used to do, see links below). This way, the weight and tension is distributed more widely. Hope this helps!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/550002173224885802/

https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com ... version-1/

mermayd
mermayd

September 20th, 2017, 3:33 am #14

I don't know the answer.
Have you ever tried hair forks? To me, they seem to be gentler than ficarre, or pony holders. And they seem to hold (for me anyway) better than sticks - and you can have the hair a little looser.

September 20th, 2017, 4:54 am #15

That with forks the bun can be looser. However, I've had a problem with some forks not taking the weight and thus causing headaches. My two favourite are made from an aircraft aluminium - light weight but strong. I have others that are also lightweight but they don't distribute the weight the same and I only ever wear them for special. I also have one wooden fork and one bone both of which are okay for all day wear.

Current Routine

September 20th, 2017, 6:19 pm #16

Have you ever tried hair forks? To me, they seem to be gentler than ficarre, or pony holders. And they seem to hold (for me anyway) better than sticks - and you can have the hair a little looser.
That's a good idea I could try them. Right now I'm wearing a twist held with bobby pins so I don't have the weight of the hair toy. I have a pulled neck or shoulder muscle it is getting better.
I'm wearing my hair down or in a low pony a lot more, but that causes tangles.
On another board, someone who has constant tangles discovered a conditioner (Salon Selectives deep conditioner at Dollar Tree) that helped with tangles. I'm going to try it out when I get the town that has one. It's one half hour away and I haven't gotten there.

September 20th, 2017, 7:38 pm #17

I don't know the answer.
If I want to keep my length, I'm going to have to learn how to braid. I've noticed in places where women have long hair for life, they wear it usually in long plaits down their backs, helping probably with weight and the heat.
I always stayed away from braids and did updos instead, as I always felt braids showcased the thinness of my hair. One of my whole braids is the thickness of most peoples twin braid.
But there are ways to thicken it up such as pulling it out slightly,or parandas.
I will probably save updos for more special occasions.
I just now have to learn how to French and Dutch braid!
Last edited by Babyfine2008 on September 20th, 2017, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: