Hoping to make it this time, inch by inch!

Hoping to make it this time, inch by inch!

September 23rd, 2011, 7:48 pm #1

Hello, everyone!

I dropped by the Loom yesterday after quite some time away. It has been great to see some of you whose hair I recognize--looking good!

I started my journey wanting long hair (and finding the Loom) in April 2007, but because of so much hair loss from autoimmune hypothyroidism, I have given up in frustration and cut it above my shoulders quite a few times. My hair seems to get to about 23 inches...but then it looks so scraggly and awful to me that I give up and cut it.

But now, I'm back! As of today, my hair is at 18.5". If God will allow, I want to grow my hair to BSL, and after that, who knows? Right now, I'm just thankful for the hair I do have, and I'm thankful for the curl He's given me, because when it's straight...I don't even want to think about it.

So I'll check in every now and then to see how you all are doing. I've updated my signature, too.

Blessings to you from Colorado!

Debbie
(Inch by Inch)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 2009 in Odessa, Ukraine, by the Black Sea

October 2008 (21"); April 2011 (~22.5") BEFORE; April 2011 (~16") AFTER -- now need new pics!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
brown with grays, thinking about henna/indigo
43 years old

[I originally found the Loom and started measuring back in April 2007 (17.5"), but with such thin, scraggly looking hair, I've been so disappointed and have gotten a few big cuts, only reaching 23.5" at the end of September 2010. Now I'm starting all over again!]

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner
weekly ACV/water rinse
EVCO overnight on scalp and ends before washing 1x a week
wooden comb, air drying, some scrunching, not much fussing, no products, no brushing, finger combing between washes

battling autoimmune hypothyroidism and the major shedding it has caused for the last five years or so

September 23rd, 2011, 8:01 pm #2

Good to "see" you here again. Hang in there and happy growing!

1AFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse.
Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb
Kind Regards,
lacemitts

September 23rd, 2011, 8:50 pm #3

Hello, everyone!

I dropped by the Loom yesterday after quite some time away. It has been great to see some of you whose hair I recognize--looking good!

I started my journey wanting long hair (and finding the Loom) in April 2007, but because of so much hair loss from autoimmune hypothyroidism, I have given up in frustration and cut it above my shoulders quite a few times. My hair seems to get to about 23 inches...but then it looks so scraggly and awful to me that I give up and cut it.

But now, I'm back! As of today, my hair is at 18.5". If God will allow, I want to grow my hair to BSL, and after that, who knows? Right now, I'm just thankful for the hair I do have, and I'm thankful for the curl He's given me, because when it's straight...I don't even want to think about it.

So I'll check in every now and then to see how you all are doing. I've updated my signature, too.

Debbie
(Inch by Inch)

October 2008 (21"); April 2011 (~22.5") BEFORE; April 2011 (~16") AFTER -- now need new pics!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

[I originally found the Loom and started measuring back in April 2007 (17.5"), but with such thin, scraggly looking hair, I've been so disappointed and have gotten a few big cuts, only reaching 23.5" at the end of September 2010. Now I'm starting all over again!]

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner
weekly ACV/water rinse
wooden comb, air drying, some scrunching, not much fussing, no products, no brushing, finger combing between washes

battling autoimmune hypothyroidism and the major shedding it has caused for the last five years or so
I'm very happy to meet you! I hope you will stop by often, so we can get to know each other better

I hope this time you will reach your goal length with the desired hemline. I love your curls, the April photos sure bring them out. Oh, and I love the Odessa photo

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

September 23rd, 2011, 10:05 pm #4

Hello, everyone!

Debbie
(Inch by Inch)

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

Hi Debbie!

Welcome back! Glad to hear you are wanting to grow your hair long again....we will be with you every step of the way!

P.S.---> If you don't mind me asking, where in Colorado are you? I live in Glenwood Springs....

See ya around!

September 23rd, 2011, 11:41 pm #5

Good to "see" you here again. Hang in there and happy growing!

1AFii
Hair: All natural dark brown and silver.
Washing: Once or twice a week. Condition from ears on down. Cold as I can stand it final rinse.
Shampoo/Conditioner:Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner. Nature's Gate Organics Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner.
Wide tooth comb
Kind Regards,
lacemitts
It's good to "see" you again! Your hair is still so pretty.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

September 23rd, 2011, 11:51 pm #6

I'm very happy to meet you! I hope you will stop by often, so we can get to know each other better

I hope this time you will reach your goal length with the desired hemline. I love your curls, the April photos sure bring them out. Oh, and I love the Odessa photo

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
I'm so happy to meet you! I LOVE your hair and your style photos. Can you come over and teach me how to have nimble fingers? How long did it take your hair to reach waist length? Did you have fits and starts, like me, or did you always wear it long? You have inspired me!

So glad you like my Odessa photo. That's when my hubby and I were there adopting our two girls (14 at the time, and now 16). It's been a hard transition, but it's better now, praise God! Honesly, I think a lot of my hair loss was in late 2009 and all of 2010 due to the stress. But I still have hair, so I'm very thankful.

I was noticing today that my curls aren't as pronounced. We're entering the drier seasons here in Colorado, so I'm sure that's a large part of it.

Hope to talk to you again soon!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

September 23rd, 2011, 11:56 pm #7

Hi Debbie!

Welcome back! Glad to hear you are wanting to grow your hair long again....we will be with you every step of the way!

P.S.---> If you don't mind me asking, where in Colorado are you? I live in Glenwood Springs....

See ya around!
Hi, Misty!

It means a lot that you would be part of my cheerleading squad. I live in Colorado Springs. I just noticed today that I don't have as much curl, and then I realized that is' much drier today. We're entering the dry season--aha! Oh, well. It was quite curly when we visited Southern California this summer, and especially at the beach. Boing!

~Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

September 24th, 2011, 1:06 am #8

Hello, everyone!

Debbie
(Inch by Inch)

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

...once again! Always glad to meet another Loomie, especially a curly one.

~ Nighean Ruadh ~

26.25/waist/tailbone

September 24th, 2011, 4:50 am #9

Your hair is so very pretty, Nighean! Nice to meet you. Your curls are much tighter than mine, but they look so lovely long. Hope to talk to you again soon.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

September 24th, 2011, 2:57 pm #10

Hello, everyone!

Debbie
(Inch by Inch)

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

The bestest place to be when growing... ))

elvea rose
1c / ultra fine / i

"...like the soft light of the moon,
silvering over the evening of life."

~a quote by Johann Paul Friedrich Richter

My hopes ~
Tresses to my hips and mock faerie-tale endings,
but what I need is a hefty dose of patience... and tyme!

And this is why...
June '07~ my last color enhancement treatment
March '09~ 23" all natural tresses
December '09~ 26" **first goal**
August '10 to May '11~ 28" **unwittingly kept there**
September '11~ 29 3/4"

Second goal... 30 inches
Third is 33 inches
Lastly... to tag bcl

September 24th, 2011, 7:17 pm #11

I'm so happy to meet you! I LOVE your hair and your style photos. Can you come over and teach me how to have nimble fingers? How long did it take your hair to reach waist length? Did you have fits and starts, like me, or did you always wear it long? You have inspired me!

So glad you like my Odessa photo. That's when my hubby and I were there adopting our two girls (14 at the time, and now 16). It's been a hard transition, but it's better now, praise God! Honesly, I think a lot of my hair loss was in late 2009 and all of 2010 due to the stress. But I still have hair, so I'm very thankful.

I was noticing today that my curls aren't as pronounced. We're entering the drier seasons here in Colorado, so I'm sure that's a large part of it.

Hope to talk to you again soon!

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

Oh, Debbie, thank you for the kind words. You are so sweet

Well, my fingers are not as nearly nimble as I'm stubborn I play a lot with braids and updos, so the final products are results of practice, and not of innate talent. I started growing out my hair when I was almost 12, and I never looked back. I had a chin length bob as a child, so I took the first opportunity to grow my hair out. It took me roughly two years to get from chin to waist. It may seem fast, but I'm petite and my torso is rather short, so I didn't have to grow so much to get from BSL to waist.

Oh thank you so much for sharing the story of the Odessa photo Adopting children is so noble, and I admire you very much. I can only imagine how stressful it must have been for all of you! You had the additional stress of going to a foreign land (your husband and you) and adapting to a foreign land (your girls). I'm sure that your girls are now used to living in the States, and that their English is perfect. I'm so happy that things are the way they are supposed to be, but I'm sending hugs anyway It takes time for your hair to recuperate from all the strain, so I'm sending my encouragement!

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs

September 24th, 2011, 8:00 pm #12

Ohtawen, it is fun to hear how you're gotten such pretty, long hair. I had longer hair as a girl, but not as long as I would like to grow it now, hee-hee! I've looked a little at your hair journal; it's fun to learn a little about where you live and how long hair is perceived and hair color, too.

Thank you for the encouragement to keep going, coming out of the aftermath of the adoption. It has been a hard road, but I am very thankful to God that things are going so much better after being home for two years. I am also on a path to better health and, Lord willing, healing my autoimmune condition, so I expect that my hair will respond eventually. I'll treat it right, regardless!

If you would like to see our adoption blog, it's here:
http://hoffmannclan.blogspot.com
I only updated it twice after we arrived home because things were so extremely difficult, and I was reluctant to share. (Oh, and the girls' English is not perfect, but the elder one is doing very well with it.)

Enjoy!
Debbie
(Inch by Inch)

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

weekly ACV/water rinse

September 24th, 2011, 10:34 pm #13

at my journal. I'm glad you liked it

I'm currently reading your blog, and I'm moved very much. It's all very emotional, and your older posts (I'm reading those from May 2009) depict so vividly Ukraine today... Now that I know a thing or two about you, I'm so happy that things are going well for your family! You and your husband are very generous and loving parents, and most certainly the best things are in store for you and your children!
(As for the English - I figured your girls are Slavic, so learning English is like taking a break from all the cases and exceptions with which Slavic languages are choc full )

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims

Current routine:

Products and tools:
~ an assortment of BBBs

September 26th, 2011, 3:02 am #14

Hi Debbie!

See ya around!
Hi ladies - I am in Colorado as well, Highlands Ranch to be exact! I have to tell you we have a long hair mecca King Soopers over here. There have to be 6 ladies with hair to their waist. I have been asked to teach french rope braids in the check-out line! They are all very friendly and nice. And -my favorite- the boy I term "the eleven checker" is a teenager with hair to his waist. He walks around singing while collecting carts in the parking lot. Awesome! They just hired a new guy and (again!) his hair is to his waist. If I ever need a job there I'll just wear my hair down to the interview and I'll bet I'm a shoe-in.

Glilavaneth

Recent 'do I liked. Kinda LOTR, only brunette.
Life is too short to not have homecoming hair every day!

2aMi
Current length: 34"
Goal length: 37"

I have been growing it for 3 years, trimming off damage as I go!

September 26th, 2011, 3:13 pm #15

...have a Colorado long-hair curly girl convention! LOL

That is so cool that you get to see several people with long hair in your area! Especially the fellas! I would purposely go grocery shopping there, just so I could see them and their hair!

I saw a man at the post office last week, that had long hair, in a super tidy, perfect herringbone braid...and it came down to the middle of his back. I imagine his hair was actually much longer, if it was not braided....it was black and shiny, and so wonderful!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Hair Length: 35.50" (when left curly)
37.00" (when straightened out)

Hair Type: 3cnii
Naturally curly

Goal Length: We'll see how long it will get!

Main Goal: To have my hair be healthy and long

***One hair on the head is worth two in the brush***

Please visit my Etsy shop:http://www.etsy.com/shop/SilverHeelsTradingCo
My Website:http://hotrodangel.webs.com/

September 28th, 2011, 3:24 am #16

at my journal. I'm glad you liked it

I'm currently reading your blog, and I'm moved very much. It's all very emotional, and your older posts (I'm reading those from May 2009) depict so vividly Ukraine today... Now that I know a thing or two about you, I'm so happy that things are going well for your family! You and your husband are very generous and loving parents, and most certainly the best things are in store for you and your children!
(As for the English - I figured your girls are Slavic, so learning English is like taking a break from all the cases and exceptions with which Slavic languages are choc full )

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
It was quite a process to adopt, but our time in Ukraine was really enjoyable. And God made it all possible! Just when I say things are going well here after being home two years, something goes amiss, LOL! But I am learning to deal with it and not get so upset.

Yes, Slavic languages can be difficult; I learned a little bit of Russian and only scratched the surface with it. I've forgotten much of what I learned.

I loved looking through your journal. Once my hair is longer, I need to look at the styles. I love the hairstyles in your signature, especially the fishtail braid in the third photo from left.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water rinse
wanting to start scalp massages
trying extremely light EVCO oiling for flighty canopy

September 28th, 2011, 3:32 am #17

Hi ladies - I am in Colorado as well, Highlands Ranch to be exact! I have to tell you we have a long hair mecca King Soopers over here. There have to be 6 ladies with hair to their waist. I have been asked to teach french rope braids in the check-out line! They are all very friendly and nice. And -my favorite- the boy I term "the eleven checker" is a teenager with hair to his waist. He walks around singing while collecting carts in the parking lot. Awesome! They just hired a new guy and (again!) his hair is to his waist. If I ever need a job there I'll just wear my hair down to the interview and I'll bet I'm a shoe-in.

Glilavaneth

Recent 'do I liked. Kinda LOTR, only brunette.
Life is too short to not have homecoming hair every day!

2aMi
Current length: 34"
Goal length: 37"

I have been growing it for 3 years, trimming off damage as I go!
It's good to meet another Coloradan. I have been to Highlands Ranch; it's pretty up there. I love your long hair picture--wow! You give me hope that I might be able to grow out my hair...your sig says you have hair on the thinner side. Though I think mine is much thinner than yours!

How neat that you are able to have regular long-hair sightings in your area! I love that. I remember seeing three or four long-haired girls when we went to a restaurant a year or so ago. It was really neat, and they weren't even together!

~Debbie
(Inch by Inch)

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 3x a week (hoping to move to 2x) with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water rinse

September 28th, 2011, 3:34 am #18

...have a Colorado long-hair curly girl convention! LOL

That is so cool that you get to see several people with long hair in your area! Especially the fellas! I would purposely go grocery shopping there, just so I could see them and their hair!

I saw a man at the post office last week, that had long hair, in a super tidy, perfect herringbone braid...and it came down to the middle of his back. I imagine his hair was actually much longer, if it was not braided....it was black and shiny, and so wonderful!

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Naturally curly

It would be fun to get together. I wonder if there are any other long-haired ladies here in Colorado. Of course, my hair is not long yet...we'll have to wait until next year.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

September 28th, 2011, 3:36 am #19

The bestest place to be when growing... ))

elvea rose
1c / ultra fine / i

"...like the soft light of the moon,
silvering over the evening of life."

~a quote by Johann Paul Friedrich Richter

My hopes ~
Tresses to my hips and mock faerie-tale endings,
but what I need is a hefty dose of patience... and tyme!

And this is why...
June '07~ my last color enhancement treatment
March '09~ 23" all natural tresses
December '09~ 26" **first goal**
August '10 to May '11~ 28" **unwittingly kept there**
September '11~ 29 3/4"

Second goal... 30 inches
Third is 33 inches
Lastly... to tag bcl
an older pic of yours (in the braid) on the Loom and remembered you from when I was around before.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

September 29th, 2011, 3:01 pm #20

It would be fun to get together. I wonder if there are any other long-haired ladies here in Colorado. Of course, my hair is not long yet...we'll have to wait until next year.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

You are a long hair at heart....that's good enough for me!

As far as I know, Glilavaneth and I (and now you!) were the only Colorado girls on the Loom, but I can't say for certain.

I was born and raised in Salida. I travel over to your neighborhood for the holidays, because my family now lives in Florence/Canon City/Penrose, respectively...
Maybe we could meet for coffee or lunch, or something....

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Naturally curly

September 29th, 2011, 7:01 pm #21

I would love to meet up for tea or lunch or something when you're in the area! I don't often meet native Coloradans (though my young cousins are natives). I am originally from Southern California and miss the coast...my husband and I visited there this summer, so I've had my coast fix. I do love Colorado.

I'm definitely a long-haired gal at heart. I'm starting to think of my hair as longer already, but with the curl, I get a start when I look in the mirror. I had longer hair when I was a girl. I think it reached waist at one point. My sister's hair was down to her bottom when she was little.

Here's a (very small) pic of me and my hair when I was about 9 years old:

My hair wasn't very long at this point; I think it was longest when I was in kindergarten.

~Debbie

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 2x a week with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water/infusion rinse
EVCO overnight or for 30 minutes on scalp and ends before washing 1x a week
starting scalp massages
trying extremely light EVCO oiling for flighty canopy when needed

September 29th, 2011, 9:07 pm #22

Lookie how cute! That's a great pic!

You had me at "tea"...
Check out this website....it has info for the tea room at the Miramont Castle in Manitou Springs....I have been there before, and really enjoyed it! Maybe we could go there, if you want...
http://www.miramontcastle.org/tea_room.html

~Misty

Joined 8/26/2010

Naturally curly

October 1st, 2011, 1:24 am #23

That tearoom/castle looks so neat. I'll have to look into it some more. Maybe we could do lunch there accompanied by tea. Sadly, I can no longer have the "tea" treats because of dietary restrictions. But let's see what we can devise; it would be fun to meet up!

So glad you like the pic of little me.

2C-3B/N/i (1.5")
16"/18.5"/26" (BSL)
bangs down to nose tip
43 years old

wash 2x a week with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars / AO honeysuckle rose conditioner / ACV-and-water/infusion rinse
EVCO overnight or for 30 minutes on scalp and ends before washing 1x a week
starting scalp massages
trying extremely light EVCO oiling for flighty canopy when needed

Confirmation of reply: