Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

mermayd
mermayd

August 6th, 2017, 6:26 am #1

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been here in AGES. I decided to check in and see what's up and saw that some old timers are still here and checking in as well. Maybe there will be more? Maybe I'll get around to posting a picture again. It is sad to see the board slowing down, we did have a nice heyday when we were all really trying to figure this long hair thing out! Jules, your hair looks beautiful! Fox, I'm sorry to hear about all the health problems your family is having. Liliana, your hair looks gorgeous as always! Babyfine, nice to see you're still here (with the same photo - haha). What's up with your hair lately?

The last I remember posting, I had all but given up trying to get to waist. My hair kind of settles in at a few inches beyond brastrap and then stops. It's okay. It's a lot longer (to me) than when it was just AT brastrap, an I'm happy with the length. I went through a HUGE shed (menopause? Stress? All of the above?). There were a few year where I was going through a LOT (don't want to talk about that tho) but my hair thinned out so badly I was seriously getting worried about it. I grew my bangs out and they are pretty much even with the rest of my length now and that helped with the thinning. I've detested short hair on myself since I last had it as a kid, so being tempted to chop it off wasn't even an option. But it did seriously bother me that it was thinning so much, I was worried how much longer it would go on. In the meantime, I just had my hairdresser trim the ends ever-so-slightly at each visit, and I continued to color (I still use Redken Shades and it covers my grey pretty good even tho I'm a lot more grey than I was).

Then one day I realized "hey, my hair's not so thin anymore." It thickened up. I don't know why. Maybe enough time had passed from all that stress, it just grew back in? Or maybe the menopause hormones stopped making my hair fall out? I don't know, but I'm happy to have my thick hair back. It's still a little thinner on the sides towards the bottom - and I'm trying to get the ever-so-slight U shape back to a straight hemline. It'll come with time, I'm patient.

My hairdresser that I've been seeing for 37 years has announced he is retiring. UGH. And he was very reasonably priced. I checked out a few hairdressers up where I live (I always traveled to see him) and they charge so much more and for some reason I don't trust any of them. I decided to go to the owner of the salon he worked at - he's a nice guy and I have seen his work and know someone who uses him, so I trust him. Hopefully. . . good communication is key. But at least he uses the same product (I had one lady say to me "seriously? I can't believe Redken will cover your grey!" It made me lose trust in her. At least I have his formula so I am able to give the new one the exact color combination.

And that's it. I haven't been doing much hairwise. Just shampoo, condition, and go. I wear it up a lot in the summer when its hot, but since scrunchies aren't in style anymore, I tend to use my hair fork a lot. Other than that, it's down most the time.

My daughter had beautiful long hair past her waist - and last visit she cut it just above bra strap. It made me so sad, but she's 18 now and has really never had short hair and she is happy with it. She's going to college next month - where did the time go???

I hope some others will check in too! Nice to see you all again!

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish
Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner
wide-tooth jumbo rake comb

August 7th, 2017, 3:13 am #2

Wow! I've been thinking about you, because--please do not laugh--I almost made your artichoke dip last week, but it got too hot, and did not want to turn the oven on. Hey, so nice to see you! It has been a long time, yes. Love Redken stuff. So happy for you that your hair is back. (soon I should give the same report) You may have to do your own trims using Feye's trimming method. I did this morning--2 inches since last year.
Do you still swim with coconut oil under your cap?
So good to hear from you, come back...let's see if we can encourage each other again--all of us. ^__^

August 7th, 2017, 7:49 am #3

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been here in AGES. I decided to check in and see what's up and saw that some old timers are still here and checking in as well. Maybe there will be more? Maybe I'll get around to posting a picture again. It is sad to see the board slowing down, we did have a nice heyday when we were all really trying to figure this long hair thing out! Jules, your hair looks beautiful! Fox, I'm sorry to hear about all the health problems your family is having. Liliana, your hair looks gorgeous as always! Babyfine, nice to see you're still here (with the same photo - haha). What's up with your hair lately?

The last I remember posting, I had all but given up trying to get to waist. My hair kind of settles in at a few inches beyond brastrap and then stops. It's okay. It's a lot longer (to me) than when it was just AT brastrap, an I'm happy with the length. I went through a HUGE shed (menopause? Stress? All of the above?). There were a few year where I was going through a LOT (don't want to talk about that tho) but my hair thinned out so badly I was seriously getting worried about it. I grew my bangs out and they are pretty much even with the rest of my length now and that helped with the thinning. I've detested short hair on myself since I last had it as a kid, so being tempted to chop it off wasn't even an option. But it did seriously bother me that it was thinning so much, I was worried how much longer it would go on. In the meantime, I just had my hairdresser trim the ends ever-so-slightly at each visit, and I continued to color (I still use Redken Shades and it covers my grey pretty good even tho I'm a lot more grey than I was).

Then one day I realized "hey, my hair's not so thin anymore." It thickened up. I don't know why. Maybe enough time had passed from all that stress, it just grew back in? Or maybe the menopause hormones stopped making my hair fall out? I don't know, but I'm happy to have my thick hair back. It's still a little thinner on the sides towards the bottom - and I'm trying to get the ever-so-slight U shape back to a straight hemline. It'll come with time, I'm patient.

My hairdresser that I've been seeing for 37 years has announced he is retiring. UGH. And he was very reasonably priced. I checked out a few hairdressers up where I live (I always traveled to see him) and they charge so much more and for some reason I don't trust any of them. I decided to go to the owner of the salon he worked at - he's a nice guy and I have seen his work and know someone who uses him, so I trust him. Hopefully. . . good communication is key. But at least he uses the same product (I had one lady say to me "seriously? I can't believe Redken will cover your grey!" It made me lose trust in her. At least I have his formula so I am able to give the new one the exact color combination.

And that's it. I haven't been doing much hairwise. Just shampoo, condition, and go. I wear it up a lot in the summer when its hot, but since scrunchies aren't in style anymore, I tend to use my hair fork a lot. Other than that, it's down most the time.

My daughter had beautiful long hair past her waist - and last visit she cut it just above bra strap. It made me so sad, but she's 18 now and has really never had short hair and she is happy with it. She's going to college next month - where did the time go???

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish
Lovely to see you again. Although I've seen you elsewhere too, but it's always nice to see members here.

My hair thins on the sides at the bottom and also noticeably after BSL. Still trying to go longer but may cut back to BSL in the future if I can't get the thickness further down that I'd like.

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

mermayd
mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 2:13 am #4

Wow! I've been thinking about you, because--please do not laugh--I almost made your artichoke dip last week, but it got too hot, and did not want to turn the oven on. Hey, so nice to see you! It has been a long time, yes. Love Redken stuff. So happy for you that your hair is back. (soon I should give the same report) You may have to do your own trims using Feye's trimming method. I did this morning--2 inches since last year.
Do you still swim with coconut oil under your cap?
So good to hear from you, come back...let's see if we can encourage each other again--all of us. ^__^
How funny about the dip! You should have made it anyway! Now I'm hungry for it! I haven't been swimming nearly as much as I should be. I have a gym membership now and do the treadmill instead. Not nearly as much fun as swimming but I go with a friend who encourages me - without her I'd skip way too many days! But yes, when I swim I do use coconut oil. I don't use a cap though - I just rinse my hair, slather on the coconut oil, put it in a pony tail and go!

Yes, I should visit here more often. It was a lot of fun when I used to come here a lot. I do miss it.

mermayd

mermayd
mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 2:15 am #5

Lovely to see you again. Although I've seen you elsewhere too, but it's always nice to see members here.

My hair thins on the sides at the bottom and also noticeably after BSL. Still trying to go longer but may cut back to BSL in the future if I can't get the thickness further down that I'd like.
Hang in there with the sides. It is SLOW coming but I have been working on it for a long time and while it's not perfect, I do notice it is getting a lot better with the thickness on the sides as time goes on. I just had to resign myself that I will never have waist length hair. Mine is about an inch or two past BSL and that's about as long as I can go.

mermayd

August 10th, 2017, 4:21 pm #6

Hi Everyone!

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish
It's good to see you and your post It sounds like you have a nice, comfortable routine which has served you well throughout the years. I'm sorry about the stresses in your life and the subsequent shed, but I'm glad that your hair thickened up after the shed. I suppose your hair recovered on its own, but it was a lengthy process... But that's hair - nothing can change or happen over night, with time and patience being the key.
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

August 10th, 2017, 6:16 pm #7

Hi Everyone!

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish
Good to "see " you again. Glad your thinning reversed and you are gaining your thickness back! I as well still have my hair colored with Redken Shades at the salon to cover my increasing grey. The stylist uses heat to make it permanent and says the reason it works for me is because my hair is soooo fine even my silvers. I have to go more and more often, as the front bang part of my hair-the part you would section back for a half up for example, is estimated by my stylist to be about 80-90% grey, the back part and underneath are still mostly medium brunette, my natural color. I have considered henna over the years, and would like to use it as it's more natural and less chemical, but I'm just afraid it would be tricky with the grey. Plus, If I ever decide to let the silvers come in, the demipermanent color would make it so much easier to do so. by the time my greys are growing in, the rest of the color has faded to blend in better with the lighter hair.
I cut my hair to an inverted shoulder length LOB in 2013, and had "Peekaboo" carmel colored highlights put in. Just a few so the all over dark color didn't look so harsh against my aging face. However my hair is down to BSL again, and would be longer if I didn't keep having it trimmed back because I don't like how the ends get so thin. I recently cut in bangs again, but I'm growing them back out, because all I do is pin them back anyway, and my ponytails aren't as thick without them.
I colored back over the highlights with the Redken again, too. All brunette now.
I would love to get to waist, too. I use Nioxin has helped me maintain the hair I have, I haven't thinned during the last 10 years, but my hair will never be thick. I also take GNC advanced hair skin and nail vitamins.
Last edited by Babyfine2008 on August 10th, 2017, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2017, 5:54 am #8

Hang in there with the sides. It is SLOW coming but I have been working on it for a long time and while it's not perfect, I do notice it is getting a lot better with the thickness on the sides as time goes on. I just had to resign myself that I will never have waist length hair. Mine is about an inch or two past BSL and that's about as long as I can go.

mermayd
It's been seven years since my shed and at my age, I'm realistic that there may be many factors at play and my hair may never be what it used to be. I've been adding hydrolysed gelatine to my smoothies and I think the extra protein is having a positive effect on my hair. I wear it up the majority of the time now (I do think down isn't so flattering at my age now and that up gives me an instant facelift - DH argues otherwise) so it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Plus, I do think there has been some improvement.

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

mermayd
mermayd

August 17th, 2017, 7:29 pm #9

that you have had at least a little improvement! I tried biotin but it made my face incredibly oily so I stopped using it.

mermayd

mermayd
mermayd

August 17th, 2017, 7:31 pm #10

It's good to see you and your post It sounds like you have a nice, comfortable routine which has served you well throughout the years. I'm sorry about the stresses in your life and the subsequent shed, but I'm glad that your hair thickened up after the shed. I suppose your hair recovered on its own, but it was a lengthy process... But that's hair - nothing can change or happen over night, with time and patience being the key.
a long time to recover! But I really wasn't thinking about my hair much during the process, just getting my usual regular trims and color and one day I realized my hair had thickened up quite a bit! Your hair is looking great by the way!

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish

mermayd
mermayd

August 17th, 2017, 7:34 pm #11

Good to "see " you again. Glad your thinning reversed and you are gaining your thickness back! I as well still have my hair colored with Redken Shades at the salon to cover my increasing grey. The stylist uses heat to make it permanent and says the reason it works for me is because my hair is soooo fine even my silvers. I have to go more and more often, as the front bang part of my hair-the part you would section back for a half up for example, is estimated by my stylist to be about 80-90% grey, the back part and underneath are still mostly medium brunette, my natural color. I have considered henna over the years, and would like to use it as it's more natural and less chemical, but I'm just afraid it would be tricky with the grey. Plus, If I ever decide to let the silvers come in, the demipermanent color would make it so much easier to do so. by the time my greys are growing in, the rest of the color has faded to blend in better with the lighter hair.
I cut my hair to an inverted shoulder length LOB in 2013, and had "Peekaboo" carmel colored highlights put in. Just a few so the all over dark color didn't look so harsh against my aging face. However my hair is down to BSL again, and would be longer if I didn't keep having it trimmed back because I don't like how the ends get so thin. I recently cut in bangs again, but I'm growing them back out, because all I do is pin them back anyway, and my ponytails aren't as thick without them.
I colored back over the highlights with the Redken again, too. All brunette now.
I would love to get to waist, too. I use Nioxin has helped me maintain the hair I have, I haven't thinned during the last 10 years, but my hair will never be thick. I also take GNC advanced hair skin and nail vitamins.
My hairdresser uses heat as well, but I didn't realize that was to make it permanent. Whatever he does it works. I tried biotin for my hair but it made my face incredibly oily! So I don't pay much attention anymore, just wash and condition and go!

Good to "see you" again - and to hear your hair is back to BSL. I could never experiment like that. I told my DD when I'm old and grey she is NOT to cut my hair! Just throw it up into a braid and be done with me!

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish

August 20th, 2017, 8:11 pm #12

a long time to recover! But I really wasn't thinking about my hair much during the process, just getting my usual regular trims and color and one day I realized my hair had thickened up quite a bit! Your hair is looking great by the way!

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish
That's the way things usually go in life, I think. When you watch a pot of water, it won't boil for the life of it, and when you turn your head away and do other things, it boils incredibly quickly

Thank you for your kind words I should update my signature, but since all hair related stuff are on the back burner, I constantly keep forgetting about the images...
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

September 5th, 2017, 4:31 am #13

Hi Everyone!

Mermayd
2bfii
33'ish
So here you are. Me too! I too, miss the heyday years. I suppose they'll always be with us, huh? That's super duper news about your hair. I'm sure it'll give hope to those who wonder if their hair can make a comeback in spite of the hormones. Menopause is like puberty. You never know what's going to happen with your body from day to day. I still have the cycles going on. I think it might be somewhat unusual. My hair is pretty much the same. I lose a lot every time I wash, I get concerned sometimes, but everything looks okay still. I use the masking tape on a roll to clean up around the bathroom every time I dry my hair. Still, when my husband vacuums, my hair clogs it up.

How are your kids? If you come back I'd love to know what your daughter has decided for a major. That is some bad news about your hairdresser. I hope you will find someone you're confident with who does a good job for you.

mermayd
mermayd

September 9th, 2017, 4:26 pm #14

Idk if I still have your email address, I'll try to use it and see! It's been a long time.

OMG look at your hair!!!!!

Saw my hairdresser for the very last time yesterday. It was quite emotional. But I do have an alternative lined up that I trust, hopefully it will work out.

I'm loving my hair right now. I can't seem to upload a picture. I had an account under my "mermayd" name and somehow it got shutdown once, and I tried to do something else and that just messed things up for me . . . oh well.

mermayd

Confirmation of reply: