Hairstick questions...

Hairstick questions...

August 11th, 2013, 4:13 am #1

I just received a lovely pair of hairsticks from Fox. They are gorgeous, but I have a few questions about them. First of all, they are wood sticks with a covering of black enamel and i have heard that you cannot put wood sticks into wet hair. Is this true? If so, is there any way to waterproof the sticks? On a somewhat different note, is it safe to put wooden hair sticks into hair with oil in it (I use olive oil)?
Last edited by rebham on August 11th, 2013, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 13th, 2013, 9:28 pm #2

Sorry about my tardy reply. But to get to your question - true, it's not recommended to secure wet hair with wooden sticks, but there's a factor I know nothing about, and that's the enamel. If we knew the chemical composition of the enamel, we could know if it makes the sticks waterproof or not. But to be on the safe side, I wouldn't use the sticks in wet hair.
However, wood likes oil, so there's no problem when it comes to securing oiled hair in a bun.

A propos materials you could use in wet hair - I have heard that dymondwood is waterproof. So are bone and metal, so you could try and find sticks from those materials and use them for holding up damp/wet hair.

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Confirmation of reply: