Hair Feels "Sticky"

Hair Feels "Sticky"

May 28th, 2017, 4:20 am #1

In the past year I've experienced a problem with my hair after washing. I'm not sure how to explain this but every time I do a full wash (usually on Saturday morning) my hair feels kind of 'sticky' for a day or two afterwards. It's not pleasant. In fact, I dread combing it or doing anything with it. As if super fluffy hair after washing isn't bad enough.

I'm trying to determine the cause/s:

Shampoo? I use the same shampoo for scalp washes and I don't have this problem.

Conditioner? I wondered if it was the culprit and changed conditioners but I don't think it is. Mainly because the hair on my scalp is worse than my length and I rarely put conditioner on my scalp.

ACV? Maybe except again I don't have the same problem when doing a scalp wash.

Hard water? Again, why would it not be a problem when I scalp wash?

Drying technique? I air dry after scalp washes and full washes, the only difference being that I bun it after a scalp wash so it takes longer to dry. I do, however, use a microfibre hair turban that I lined with an old t-shirt after a full wash.

I'm wondering about using a diluted citric acid rinse to neutralise the hard water and see if it makes a difference. Oiling beforehand or not at all doesn't seem to make a difference. A good going over with a BBB once my hair is dry seems to make it less 'sticky', so I'm thinking it has to be something that is deposited in my hair during the washing process - either shampoo, ACV, or minerals in our water.

Anyone else have this problem or can offer some insight?

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

May 29th, 2017, 9:52 am #2

To me, that stickiness sounds like build-up? Have you clarified your length, perhaps? Does that diminish the stickiness?
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

May 29th, 2017, 11:31 pm #3

In the past year I've experienced a problem with my hair after washing. I'm not sure how to explain this but every time I do a full wash (usually on Saturday morning) my hair feels kind of 'sticky' for a day or two afterwards. It's not pleasant. In fact, I dread combing it or doing anything with it. As if super fluffy hair after washing isn't bad enough.

Conditioner? I wondered if it was the culprit and changed conditioners but I don't think it is. Mainly because the hair on my scalp is worse than my length and I rarely put conditioner on my scalp.

Drying technique? I air dry after scalp washes and full washes, the only difference being that I bun it after a scalp wash so it takes longer to dry. I do, however, use a microfibre hair turban that I lined with an old t-shirt after a full wash.

I'm wondering about using a diluted citric acid rinse to neutralise the hard water and see if it makes a difference. Oiling beforehand or not at all doesn't seem to make a difference. A good going over with a BBB once my hair is dry seems to make it less 'sticky', so I'm thinking it has to be something that is deposited in my hair during the washing process - either shampoo, ACV, or minerals in our water.

I have the same problem. After a full wash, my hair will feel sticky for a few days. There is visible build up on my brush after combing out (I use a tangle teezer). My hair will feel somewhat tacky to the touch and very tangle prone. But, it doesn't occur every time I wash, maybe two-thirds of the time. I seem to have the stickiness more on the length than on my scalp, so I assumed it was my conditioner. I tried switching brands, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

My latest theory (I hypothesized this just in the last week or so and haven't had time to experiment very much yet), is that I am not rinsing enough. I shower in the evenings before bed, and I am usually so tired that I hurry so I can get to bed. Rinsing out the conditioner has fallen a bit on the priority list. (I rinse, but it is usually a rush job so I can avoid falling asleep in the shower!)

School just let out for the summer, so my schedule will be a lot easier for the next couple months. I will actually be able to shower while fully conscious. I am hoping that if I rinse for an extra long time, it will take care of the stickiness. I don't know what else to try.

I will report back in a few weeks with my results.
Just past classic...Thinking about heading for knee....maybe

May 31st, 2017, 5:22 am #4

To me, that stickiness sounds like build-up? Have you clarified your length, perhaps? Does that diminish the stickiness?
Well, I've not clarified although I do use ACV every wash. However we have hard water and I've read citric acid is better at neutralising the minerals in our water than vinegar so I might try a diluted rinse with citric acid.

My scalp often feels worse than my length.

I experimented with a non-'poo washing method yesterday and had no stickiness. But it was only a scalp wash and I don't usually have problems with scalp washes. At least to the same degree.

Thank you for helping me work on a theory and solution for this problem.

Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

May 31st, 2017, 5:24 am #5

I have the same problem. After a full wash, my hair will feel sticky for a few days. There is visible build up on my brush after combing out (I use a tangle teezer). My hair will feel somewhat tacky to the touch and very tangle prone. But, it doesn't occur every time I wash, maybe two-thirds of the time. I seem to have the stickiness more on the length than on my scalp, so I assumed it was my conditioner. I tried switching brands, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

My latest theory (I hypothesized this just in the last week or so and haven't had time to experiment very much yet), is that I am not rinsing enough. I shower in the evenings before bed, and I am usually so tired that I hurry so I can get to bed. Rinsing out the conditioner has fallen a bit on the priority list. (I rinse, but it is usually a rush job so I can avoid falling asleep in the shower!)

School just let out for the summer, so my schedule will be a lot easier for the next couple months. I will actually be able to shower while fully conscious. I am hoping that if I rinse for an extra long time, it will take care of the stickiness. I don't know what else to try.

I will report back in a few weeks with my results.
Might be something in the theory about insufficient rinsing. I suspect I rinse better with scalp washes because the majority of my hair is out of the way. Perhaps for a full wash I should start with a scalp wash and rinse well before taking my hair down and doing conditioner and a rinse.

I thought at first it was a problem with the conditioner so I stopped doing deep conditioning but the problem remained even on areas where conditioner didn't touch.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in this but sorry you're experiencing it too.

Current Routine

June 4th, 2017, 7:36 am #6

Yesterday I added 1 teaspoon shampoo and an equal amount of aloe vera gel to 1 cup herbal tea and washed my hair with that. Today, no stickiness and my hair is clean and shiny. So even though I was diluting my shampoo before I was still using more than I needed. (I was diluting it 1:7 but decided yesterday to try a whole lot less shampoo.) I suspect I wasn't rinsing that 'extra' shampoo out adequately. When I did scalp washes, since most of my hair was in a bun, I was probably rinsing the scalp sufficiently, but when I do a full wash, it's probably harder to get to the scalp, even though my hair isn't all that thick (anymore).

So I'm thinking that the stickiness was due to some residue left behind due to insufficient rinsing (with the added problem of very hard water).

Now if I could only solve the problem of my disgusting bangs as easily. Nine weeks since I visited the salon and I still cannot do a thing with my bangs. And they're not even at eyebrow length yet which gives you an idea how short she cut them. (Admittedly my bangs do grow super slowly.)

Current Routine

June 5th, 2017, 1:54 pm #7

like you've solved the issue, Jules Your experiment indeed points to the rinsing problem, though you will see in the following weeks if it's indeed so.

As for your bangs, I wish I had any clever advice I can just empathize...
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

June 7th, 2017, 5:45 am #8

Yesterday I added 1 teaspoon shampoo and an equal amount of aloe vera gel to 1 cup herbal tea and washed my hair with that. Today, no stickiness and my hair is clean and shiny. So even though I was diluting my shampoo before I was still using more than I needed. (I was diluting it 1:7 but decided yesterday to try a whole lot less shampoo.) I suspect I wasn't rinsing that 'extra' shampoo out adequately. When I did scalp washes, since most of my hair was in a bun, I was probably rinsing the scalp sufficiently, but when I do a full wash, it's probably harder to get to the scalp, even though my hair isn't all that thick (anymore).

So I'm thinking that the stickiness was due to some residue left behind due to insufficient rinsing (with the added problem of very hard water).

Now if I could only solve the problem of my disgusting bangs as easily. Nine weeks since I visited the salon and I still cannot do a thing with my bangs. And they're not even at eyebrow length yet which gives you an idea how short she cut them. (Admittedly my bangs do grow super slowly.)
I have washed my hair twice since my schedule opened up. Both times I took care to rinse very thoroughly. Neither time was there any stickiness in my hair. Granted, this was only twice and two data points never proved anything, but I think the solution has been found. (At least I hope so )

I did have one disastrous scalp wash a few days ago. The story is in my other post.
Just past classic...Thinking about heading for knee....maybe

Confirmation of reply: