Hair as a security blanket

Hair as a security blanket

March 29th, 2011, 6:50 pm #1

I thought I was weird until I saw it mentioned here: I am attached to my hair, and it can be like a security blanket.

Here's the thing, though, it's not just the length i'm attached to. I like to feel my hair, so I don't like to wear it put completely up. When I do put it up, I like to style it low, so I still feel it on my neck, or style it so it touches my ears. This is the reason i'm considering bangs, so I can always feel my hair even when it's up. Am I weird? There's no way I could pull of traditional bangs, especially since my hair gets curlier shorter, but maybe something kind of side-swept, more like face-framing layers. I currently have long layers near my face, shoulder lengthish, and I like when they fall out of braids and such, but they're too long and can look messy and get in the way when i'm eating. Plus my hair is so thick that the wispy layers look almost like they're just broken off hairs (once again, messy).

One last thing, I already have to style my hair in sections, because of weight and thickness, so pinning back the bangs/layers wouldn't require any more work than I already put into my hair.

Thoughts?

Ps, I'm not afraid to cut my own hair - I already cut both brothers', a sister and my curly dad's hair regularly and have trimmed my own.

Jordan Elizabeth
Http://heavenlyprincess.wordpress.com

33"/waist length red hair
3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!

Bob
Bob

March 29th, 2011, 7:42 pm #2

It sounds to me as if you love your long hair, and are happy with it. Do you know how many women (and men) are NOT happy with their hair? Consider your locks a treasure, I say, and don't worry if others profess a disturbance with yours not falling into the "norm". NONE of us are "normal". (LOL) My feeling is that you'll never be happier if you acquiesce to others' arbitrary standards. Blessings, Bob

shockinglength
shockinglength

March 30th, 2011, 1:34 am #3

I thought I was weird until I saw it mentioned here: I am attached to my hair, and it can be like a security blanket.

Here's the thing, though, it's not just the length i'm attached to. I like to feel my hair, so I don't like to wear it put completely up. When I do put it up, I like to style it low, so I still feel it on my neck, or style it so it touches my ears. This is the reason i'm considering bangs, so I can always feel my hair even when it's up. Am I weird? There's no way I could pull of traditional bangs, especially since my hair gets curlier shorter, but maybe something kind of side-swept, more like face-framing layers. I currently have long layers near my face, shoulder lengthish, and I like when they fall out of braids and such, but they're too long and can look messy and get in the way when i'm eating. Plus my hair is so thick that the wispy layers look almost like they're just broken off hairs (once again, messy).

One last thing, I already have to style my hair in sections, because of weight and thickness, so pinning back the bangs/layers wouldn't require any more work than I already put into my hair.

Thoughts?

Ps, I'm not afraid to cut my own hair - I already cut both brothers', a sister and my curly dad's hair regularly and have trimmed my own.

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!
Could you just strighten your bangs?

March 30th, 2011, 2:22 am #4

Honestly, I wouldn't make the time to do so. My sister has side swept bangs that she straightens (similar curl to my own hair) and seeing that doesn make me want to join her. Not only does it take time to get it just right, that air is just so damaged and dry. I'd rather stick with natural.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!

March 30th, 2011, 10:13 am #5

Thoughts?

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!
You said you like the face framing layers you have, but they are now too long and whispy, so perhaps you could try re-styling them a bit by shortening to chin length or slightly lower, and thickening them a bit?
That way you'll have pieces falling out of the updoes in the front, but they won't be long enough to get in the way, and you won't have to cut bangs...
If you found something that you like and works well for you, I say stick with it

March 30th, 2011, 11:16 am #6

Thoughts?

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!
I think all of us Loomies are attached to our hair. Nothing's wrong with that. And I you like the feeling of your hair, that's perfectly fine Yes, I understand that it's harder to pull of bangs with your hairtype, especially if you'd have to straighten them regularly. I agree with Night Kitten and her excellent idea. Those long layers could be turned into shorter ones, so you would have pretty face-framing layers. I'm sure those would suit you and wouldn't require much work like traditional bangs.

I hope you'll find something that will work for you!

Nov 2009 Apr 2010 a great hair day

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: tailbone
Primary goal: thickening the ends
Secondary goal: classic

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

March 30th, 2011, 5:18 pm #7

Thoughts?

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!
against my skin although I'm not one for touching it throughout the day. I will sometimes smooth a hand over an updo and enjoy the feeling of soft hair beneath my hand and I have been known to fiddle with the hairs at the nape especially now that they're curly from using shampoo bars.

I second the shorter layers around the face, or else, taking a curl or two at the front either side of your part and cutting them shorter so that they frame your face for updos (a bit like shorter layers but you're working with your hair type rather than against it). That can be very feminine and alluring.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal 41.5"/105.5cm (Classic length)

Current routine: Scalp wash every second day using shampoo bars from Beauty and the Bee. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 2 cups of water). Once a week use shampoo bar on length as well as scalp. Daily oiling with almond oil.
Other: S&D when I think of it; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

March 30th, 2011, 6:05 pm #8

Thanks for the suggestions.

I clicked over to your blog and just wanted to say that you've been an encouragement to me today we share a lot of the same convictions/opinions on things like family, marriage etc.

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!

March 30th, 2011, 11:10 pm #9

Thoughts?

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!
My hair has always been a source of security, and the one time I went ahead and cut it short (when I was 18) I felt very unsure about myself, for lack of words. I thought I would be daring and try something new, but it sorely backfired on me. Then it seemed to take forever to grow it from that boyish cut back to waist. I almost felt as if I lost some years since I was so unhappy with my shorter hair. I wish I had my daughters outlook and spunky attitude! She cut her hair, all by herself, into this cute very short style with longer layers in the front. But now she misses her longer hair very much! And as much as possible she's enjoying the different lengths and styles, making it fun! I sure didn't. I wore a blue bandana most of the time it was growing out... but that was the seventies.

I am sorry that I have no suggestions for you... I wish I could think of something. Face framing layers do look nice, to me, whether they are natural or cut in but having them cut would help so the layers don't look like broken hairs. I love face framing layers and if I could pull it off, I would have them.

peace and play,
elvea rose

"...like the soft light of the moon,
silvering over the evening of life."
~a quote by Johann Paul Friedrich Richter

Loomie since May '04

My hopes ~
Tresses to my hips and mock faerie-tale endings.

What I need is a hefty dose of patience
...and tyme!

1c / ultra fine / i
kept at 28" ...still :\

March 31st, 2011, 5:14 am #10

Thanks for the suggestions.

I clicked over to your blog and just wanted to say that you've been an encouragement to me today we share a lot of the same convictions/opinions on things like family, marriage etc.

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!
for encouraging me. I really appreciate it. Perhaps you'll visit often.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal 41.5"/105.5cm (Classic length)

Current routine: Scalp wash every second day using shampoo bars from Beauty and the Bee. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 2 cups of water). Once a week use shampoo bar on length as well as scalp. Daily oiling with almond oil.
Other: S&D when I think of it; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

April 12th, 2011, 3:29 am #11

Thoughts?

Jordan Elizabeth

3a/N/iii
Picture coming soon!
Hey there,

I also like the feel of my hair on my back. I thought it was just me. lol I like wearing my hair down too for that reason. So no, it's not just you, we're all weird.

length: not sure till I acquire a tape measure
Hair type: 1bNii dark brown
Hair products used: Abba Pure Moisture Vegan Shampoo
Sebastian deep conditioning treatment
Hair washing: once a week on hairdresser's suggestion
Abba palm oil leave in conditioner

Confirmation of reply: