French Twist

French Twist

Fox

March 10th, 2003, 6:28 am #1

The French Twist, Pictures and Instructions...

Since many of you have asked about the French Twist, I've had my sister take some pictures so we can go through it step by step. Hopefully, this will give you something to work with! Instructions alone can get confusing sometimes!

*Step 1:
Gather hair like you would to make a pony tail on the upper crown.

Step 2: Begin twisting the tail (I did it counter-clockwise). Twist all the way down to the ends, or close to it anyway.

Step 3: Place left hand finger at upper base of tail (at neck), while right hand bring the tail up, forming a U.

Step 4 & 5: Place left hand fingers on top of tail so it stays in place, while right hand guides remaining length of hair down, next to your fingerstips (on the same side as the hair you just brought up) and next to the other twisted section. If you have more length as I do, move your fingers over a bit to hold the new section, then bring the remaining hair back up again, just as you would the first time. You can follow this pattern until you've used up your length. Step 5: Tuck ends under rolled hair, leaving left hand fingers on top of it all to hold in place.

Step 6 A: Left hand gently closes over hair roll and rolls to the right,

(B)while right hand slides and tucks under, going to the left, under crease. Smooth hair back one side at a time, and tuck any excess.

Step 7 A: Once you have your twist in place, take a hair comb (or hair pins) and slide in the upper section, grabbing just a bit of hair in the twist and sliding it in and under, into the crease.

(B) Do the same on the lower section.

(C) If you use hair combs and want to cover their plain edges, take a hair pin, and scoop up a section of hair just above comb, then slide pin in and under comb section. You can do this down the whole length. It also gives more hold, even though I don't really need it.

Step 8, French Twist: Once you have your Twist in place, you can add a bit of Aloe Vera Gel, oils, or hair spray, and smooth the sides down. With my waves and curls, I often have "halo" hairs peeking out that I want to smooth down. Your French Twist is now completed.

You can also use hair sticks and decorative pins to dress up your twist, or get combs with decorative ends.

*If you find making the pony tail at the crown is difficult for you, make it at the nape of the neck, twist hair, then pull tail straight up and make an upside U at the top rather than making the regular U at the bottom. The continue on with the directions.
I hope the directions were clear enough to be of some help. If you have any questions, just ask.

-Fox
17/32.75/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
Last edited by Fox on June 25th, 2004, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

March 10th, 2003, 11:13 am #2

I cant do one to save my own soul.

Very good directions, I may attempted it someday LOLOL

Angel Hugs and Love

<FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" SIZE="2" COLOR="330066">betty
20 1/2 - 24 1/4 - 30
March 2001 - present
Buttery Honey Blonde
1c2aM/Ciii
Medium to Coarse
Thick
My fav staight hair pic <a href=http://gallery.hairboutique.com/detail. ... 4&Go2=GO64>
Click Here</a>
My fav wavy hair pic <a href=http://gallery.hairboutique.com/detail. ... 2&Go2=GO64>
Click Here</a>
Hair Length Goals:
One length by Summer
Past BS by the Holidays</FONT>

Fox

March 13th, 2003, 9:00 am #3

Since many of you have asked about the French Twist, I've had my sister take some pictures so we can go through it step by step. Hopefully, this will give you something to work with! Instructions alone can get confusing sometimes!

*Step 1:

Step 2: Begin twisting the tail (I did it counter-clockwise). Twist all the way down to the ends, or close to it anyway.

Step 3: Place left hand finger at upper base of tail (at neck), while right hand bring the tail up, forming a U.

Step 4 & 5: Place left hand fingers on top of tail so it stays in place, while right hand guides remaining length of hair down, next to your fingerstips (on the same side as the hair you just brought up) and next to the other twisted section. If you have more length as I do, move your fingers over a bit to hold the new section, then bring the remaining hair back up again, just as you would the first time. You can follow this pattern until you've used up your length. Step 5: Tuck ends under rolled hair, leaving left hand fingers on top of it all to hold in place.

(B)while right hand slides and tucks under, going to the left, under crease. Smooth hair back one side at a time, and tuck any excess.

Step 7 A: Once you have your twist in place, take a hair comb (or hair pins) and slide in the upper section, grabbing just a bit of hair in the twist and sliding it in and under, into the crease.

(C) If you use hair combs and want to cover their plain edges, take a hair pin, and scoop up a section of hair just above comb, then slide pin in and under comb section. You can do this down the whole length. It also gives more hold, even though I don't really need it.

Step 8, French Twist: Once you have your Twist in place, you can add a bit of Aloe Vera Gel, oils, or hair spray, and smooth the sides down. With my waves and curls, I often have "halo" hairs peeking out that I want to smooth down. Your French Twist is now completed.

You can also use hair sticks and decorative pins to dress up your twist, or get combs with decorative ends.

*If you find making the pony tail at the crown is difficult for you, make it at the nape of the neck, twist hair, then pull tail straight up and make an upside U at the top rather than making the regular U at the bottom. The continue on with the directions.
I hope the directions were clear enough to be of some help. If you have any questions, just ask.

-Fox
17/32.75/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Step one: You are going to slide the stick in on the seam side (where the hair is tucking in) so you need to actually start just on the edge of the seam, catching part of the folding hair. Aim the tip upward or more level, but not aiming down yet. Allow the tip to touch scalp.

Step two: Once the tip touches the scalp (gently) flip the stick, or should I say slowly slide the stick tip back in the other direction. Your hairstick ornamentaion end will be going up now. Slide it down to the desired height.

Step three: You can repeat this with another stick in another area of the hair.

-Fox
17/32.75/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:
Just Fox...

You can also find me here: The Long Hair Loom

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

April 27th, 2003, 4:34 pm #4

*Step 1:

-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
I thought I'd post a link to my French Twist pages in this thread as well.
Have a look for illustrated step by step instructions (slightly different than Fox' instructions here), a little video, a troubleshooting page and pictures of French Twist variations with different hair toys.

http://www.haarkram.e-something.de

Cheers,
Madeleine

--
Pixie/BS/waist (if it wants to grow that far)
1cFi, dark ash blonde hennaed fiery red

Fox

April 28th, 2003, 7:38 am #5

nm

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:
Just Fox...

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

Rosemary
Rosemary

April 28th, 2003, 7:53 pm #6

*Step 1:

-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Hello,

It was nice to see the detailed pictures on the french twist but as the creator of the original Grip-Tuth French Twist kit, I was disappointed that there was no credit given to Good Hair Days, Inc. as the source of your idea, the instructions and the manufacturer of these products that work so well for your THE FRENCH TWIST POSTING.

These instructions were copyrighted many years ago.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rosemary Pepin
President
Good Hair Days, Inc.
www.goodhairdays.com

May 19th, 2003, 2:33 am #7

I'm amazed at the rudeness and arrogance of Ms. Pepin's post. I have the Good Days french twist kit, and the package instructions are not nearly as detailed and thorough as Fox's and Madeleine's posts. Their posts are most certainly not identical to Good Day's copyrighted instructions.

The french twist style has been around since the late 1800's. For Ms. Pepin to assume that anyone who wears a french twist got the idea from her company is absurd, even if someone uses Good Days hairpins or combs to do this style. I learned how to make a french twist using regular bobby pins before getting the Good Days kit. They are not the only company making french twist combs either.

bunniee

http://www.bunniee.net

Fox

June 7th, 2003, 10:42 am #8

Hello,

It was nice to see the detailed pictures on the french twist but as the creator of the original Grip-Tuth French Twist kit, I was disappointed that there was no credit given to Good Hair Days, Inc. as the source of your idea, the instructions and the manufacturer of these products that work so well for your THE FRENCH TWIST POSTING.

Rosemary Pepin
President
Good Hair Days, Inc.
www.goodhairdays.com
I do use Good Hair Days products, but I was doing the French Twist long before I found them. I credit Good Hair Days for holding my hairstyles, be it the twist, buns, or others extremely well. I mention them often and I think they are great products. However, I did not learn how to do a French Twist from them or I would have posted that. I am sorry you felt this was in violation of your copyright, but I did not copy it. I apologize for the late reply. I don't often check the back pages of this board since it is mostly for instructions and not posting, which is on our main board.

Sincerley,
Fox

-Fox

17/33.50/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs

edited for typo
Last edited by Fox on June 7th, 2003, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

elisabeth
elisabeth

June 27th, 2003, 4:36 pm #9

Hello,

Rosemary Pepin
President
Good Hair Days, Inc.
www.goodhairdays.com
you're completely ridiculous. anyone is allowed to help others by showing them how to do their hair. would you go to every salon in the world telling them that they've stolen your idea when really, the french twist originated many years before you were even born?

Edited to fit within Loom post guidelines
Last edited by Fox on July 4th, 2003, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fox

January 23rd, 2004, 6:56 am #10

*Step 1:

-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
http://classiclength.home.mchsi.com/fre ... index.html

-Fox

17/34.50/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:
<a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners (As well as Forest Pure, another brand made by the makers of Nature's Gate)
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 13th, 2005, 6:49 am #11

you're completely ridiculous. anyone is allowed to help others by showing them how to do their hair. would you go to every salon in the world telling them that they've stolen your idea when really, the french twist originated many years before you were even born?

that looks cool but confusing lol

truepeacenik
truepeacenik

August 8th, 2005, 2:10 am #12

what??? the French Twist is HER invention?
looking good for hundreds of years old, my dear.
Last edited by Fox on August 8th, 2005, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

malabika
malabika

October 5th, 2007, 3:20 am #13

*Step 1:

-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
I've tried to find step by step instructions to do a french twist at home but all of them show how to do it with an upside down U and I've not been able to do it even after heaps of practice. But the way you show it i could do it the very first time. To me your way of doing the French twist is absolutely perfect.

Thanks a lot!!!

Angela
Angela

September 16th, 2009, 5:19 am #14

*Step 1:

-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Your instructions and pictures were so easy to understand I was finally able to do a French twist.

October 22nd, 2012, 11:14 pm #15

*Step 1:

-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
When I first tried it wouldn't work and so I thought "Well, what in the world did I do this time?" It turns out I had twisted the opposite way than what you had and tried tucking it like your example. LOL! I was able to fix it though, and now-thanks to you-I know another beautiful hairstyle!
Last edited by NoodleKat on October 22nd, 2012, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: