Figure 8 bun

Figure 8 bun

Shelly
Shelly

March 24th, 2003, 3:57 pm #1

How do you do the figure 8 bun style that the blonde has at the top of the page? I've always liked that one but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Thank You

Shelly

Fox

March 25th, 2003, 9:05 am #2

nm

-Fox
17/32.75/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:
Just Fox...

You can also find me here: The Long Hair Loom

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

March 25th, 2003, 6:17 pm #3

How do you do the figure 8 bun style that the blonde has at the top of the page? I've always liked that one but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Thank You

Shelly
Thanx

Shelly
Shelly

March 26th, 2003, 8:09 pm #4

nm

-Fox
17/32.75/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:
Just Fox...

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
nm

Fox

March 27th, 2003, 7:39 am #5

Thank You

Shelly
To create a Figure 8 Bun, start off just as you would to make a regular bun, gathering your hair into a pony tail and twisting. As you begin, make your first twist as usual. On your second go round, make sure that the hair goes just under the coil before it. (Most buns go around each coil creating a cinnamon roll type look). See picture below to see how the second coil goes under.

Continue wrapping each coil around and under until you reach your ends, then tuck the ends under. The bun should look something like this.

The next step is to grab the top coil and pull it upward toward your scalp.

To secure, you can use hair pins, hair sticks, or Ficcare clamps. In this picture I am using a hair stick (which is really too long for this style, but within arm's reach during the time I was taking these pictures). When you use hair pins or sticks, the key to getting a secure hold is the direction you place the tip(s) to begin with. Note how I am aiming up in the first picture here.

Once the tip is placed against the scalp aiming up, turn it back down in the opposite direction, and gently slide.

You can aim your sticks different ways to create different looks. In this picture I aimed the whole bun a bit sideways.

Here is a picture of the Ficcare type clamp slid through the Figure 8.

You can find Ficcare clips/clamps at high end department stores, and online. http://www.ficcare.com/ficcarecatalog.asp

You can find fakes of these at places online (www.hairboutique.com), some Trade Secrets (I believe they call them Concorde Clips there), and Claire's has some smaller sizes. I like the metal ones, which are most like Ficcare's. They are usually much more smooth, and don't have teeth to catch and pull on your hair. The plastic versions are too light for most of my hair styles, but some can be made to work if you find one with a good spring, and file off any rough edges.

Hope this is helpful!

-Fox
Just Fox...

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

March 27th, 2003, 8:09 am #6

nm

24.5/28/30
type 1bMii ~Our opinions become fixed at the point where we stop thinking~ Ernest Renan, French philosopher

March 28th, 2003, 10:45 pm #7

To create a Figure 8 Bun, start off just as you would to make a regular bun, gathering your hair into a pony tail and twisting. As you begin, make your first twist as usual. On your second go round, make sure that the hair goes just under the coil before it. (Most buns go around each coil creating a cinnamon roll type look). See picture below to see how the second coil goes under.

Continue wrapping each coil around and under until you reach your ends, then tuck the ends under. The bun should look something like this.

To secure, you can use hair pins, hair sticks, or Ficcare clamps. In this picture I am using a hair stick (which is really too long for this style, but within arm's reach during the time I was taking these pictures). When you use hair pins or sticks, the key to getting a secure hold is the direction you place the tip(s) to begin with. Note how I am aiming up in the first picture here.

Once the tip is placed against the scalp aiming up, turn it back down in the opposite direction, and gently slide.

You can aim your sticks different ways to create different looks. In this picture I aimed the whole bun a bit sideways.

You can find Ficcare clips/clamps at high end department stores, and online. http://www.ficcare.com/ficcarecatalog.asp

You can find fakes of these at places online (www.hairboutique.com), some Trade Secrets (I believe they call them Concorde Clips there), and Claire's has some smaller sizes. I like the metal ones, which are most like Ficcare's. They are usually much more smooth, and don't have teeth to catch and pull on your hair. The plastic versions are too light for most of my hair styles, but some can be made to work if you find one with a good spring, and file off any rough edges.

Hope this is helpful!

-Fox
Just Fox...

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Thanks to your instructions and photos I now have a new favorite updo!!!
I am SO excited that I was able to do this!!!!

The best thing about this updo is that it holds solidly ALL day long; it never loosens up at all!!

I used this plastic clip, from CVS drugstore for $1.99. It had very tiny seams, but just to be safe I used a metal nail file to file the seams flat.
clip shown closed:

shown open:

This is the Figure 8 Bun on me viewed from the back:

Here it is from the side:

Here is a close-up:

Here is my Figure 8 Bun shown with a plastic clip similar the one shown above, but this one is shorter and covered in velvet, from Dots for .99 cents:

Here is what the velvet-covered clip looks like:

I'm so excited to be able to do a different updo!!!!

Equestrian 24/37+/38
Toffee Blonde Straight Hair With Slight Unnoticeable Waves, Of Medium Overall Thickness With Very Fine Individual Hairs.

April 8th, 2003, 3:39 pm #8

Thanks for telling where you got them!

(Dec. '02) (June '03???)
Picture altered thanks to LONGHAIR
~1b/F/ii+
~14/26.25/35
~4+ inches thick
~Straight, light golden brown, letting my bangs grow out
~Date of trims: 7/01, 10/01, 8/02, 4/03
~Routine: http://hometown.aol.com/amandapanda563/routine.html
~Vitamins: Daily Multivitamin Supplement, 2030mcg biotin(total)

April 27th, 2003, 4:39 pm #9

Hope this is helpful!

-Fox
Just Fox...

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
... that you're using in your instruction pics:
It's gorgeous! Is that carved wood? Where did you get it?

Cheers,
Madeleine

--
Pixie/BS/waist (if it wants to grow that far)
1cFi, dark ash blonde hennaed fiery red

Fox

April 30th, 2003, 8:35 am #10

It is carved wood. I got it for Christmas from my sisters. I'll have to ask where they got it from, then email you.

-Fox

17/33/35+ - Bangs at 15 inches - Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:
Just Fox...

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

Mindy
Mindy

April 3rd, 2006, 6:50 pm #11

I believe I have those exact same hair sticks! I got them from Anchor Blue. They're quite nice, and look EXACTLY like those ones. So if you didn't get them from Anchor Blue, I'd like to know where you got them from too!

Fox

April 4th, 2006, 7:19 am #12

But I think they got them at a place like Claire's. I wish I could remember exactly now! Sorry!

-Fox

Special thanks to Carlynn for my custom doll signature!
17/38.5/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:<a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>

Want custom sticks? Please visit: Sticks and Stones, Hairsticks by Fox

"Love makes you beautiful" - quote from my nephew at age 7

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars

Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners

Vinegar/herbal rinses

MP Popular Mix Brush and Pure BB brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
MP Popular Mix Brush

Confirmation of reply: