easy bun without using bobby pins.

easy bun without using bobby pins.

July 6th, 2003, 1:42 am #1

If you all already know this trick, I appologize. Also I dont have a digital camera so Im going to try my best to give clear instructions. If someone can figure it out and wants to add some pictures, that would be great. This is a bun that requires no bobbypins and is a very secure hold.

You will need 2 hair elastics, 1 scrunchie and a sock. First, cut the toe off of the sock and roll the sock up so that it looks like a doughnut. Set it aside.

Next pull you hair into a ponytail where ever you want the bun to sit. Then take the sock doughnut and slide it onto your ponytail, pulling all your hair throught the middle of the sock. Take the sock all the way up to your head.

Now is where I wish I had a camera. Take your hair and fan it out so that it falls over and covers the sock. Then take the other hair elastic and wrap it around the hair and sock. Now you have a bun with a bunch of hair hanging down.

At this point, you can either leave the hair hanging down and just put the scrunchie around the bun. or you can gather all the hanging hair, twist it and wrap it around the bun and secure with the scrunchie.

Hope I didnt confuse anyone to much.

July 6th, 2003, 11:53 am #2

When you first put your hair in a ponytail, before you put on the sock donut, do you secure the ponytail? Because you said two elastics and there's only one place where you mention it... so I'm guessing that you secure the ponytail with an elastic. Anyway, this looks really cool, the only problem is... which sock should I cut up?! Hehe :P

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/25.5/35 (tailbone)
Bangs at 10 inches
Still growing out layers...
CWC Method

July 6th, 2003, 2:08 pm #3

If you all already know this trick, I appologize. Also I dont have a digital camera so Im going to try my best to give clear instructions. If someone can figure it out and wants to add some pictures, that would be great. This is a bun that requires no bobbypins and is a very secure hold.

You will need 2 hair elastics, 1 scrunchie and a sock. First, cut the toe off of the sock and roll the sock up so that it looks like a doughnut. Set it aside.

Next pull you hair into a ponytail where ever you want the bun to sit. Then take the sock doughnut and slide it onto your ponytail, pulling all your hair throught the middle of the sock. Take the sock all the way up to your head.

Now is where I wish I had a camera. Take your hair and fan it out so that it falls over and covers the sock. Then take the other hair elastic and wrap it around the hair and sock. Now you have a bun with a bunch of hair hanging down.

At this point, you can either leave the hair hanging down and just put the scrunchie around the bun. or you can gather all the hanging hair, twist it and wrap it around the bun and secure with the scrunchie.

I remember purchasing a puffy netted hair donut form that you can use to evenly spread your hair around.

There are also cigar-shaped forms that you are supposed to use to roll your hair up with.

These forms were usually sold in "hair" colors.

Don't know if they still sell them. But I think this is general concept you are using.

Janet

2a/n/ii
??/28.5/floor
Light Brown

July 6th, 2003, 3:40 pm #4

... at least around here (Germany). I think they would be called artificial ratts (natural ones would be made from your own shed hair).
I have a sausage shaped one that makes the most dramatic french twists.

Cheers,
Madeleine

--
Pixie/BS/waist (if it wants to grow that far)
1cFi, dark ash blonde hennaed fiery red

http://www.haarkram.e-something.de

Fox

July 7th, 2003, 7:50 am #5

Then you can see if I'm doing it correctly!

Thanks for sharing!

-Fox

17/34/35+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), light brown with gold and red highlights. To see more pictures, click on the gallery link found here:

Just Fox...

And my newest gallery collection <a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox"> Forever Fox </a>

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

Products Used:

Aubrey Organics S&C
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils

Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)
MP Popular Mix Brush
Wood and Horn combs
Vitamins/Minerals/Herbal supplements
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

July 8th, 2003, 3:21 am #6

When you first put your hair in a ponytail, before you put on the sock donut, do you secure the ponytail? Because you said two elastics and there's only one place where you mention it... so I'm guessing that you secure the ponytail with an elastic. Anyway, this looks really cool, the only problem is... which sock should I cut up?! Hehe :P

Love,
~*Leia*~

2bNiii
18/25.5/35 (tailbone)
Bangs at 10 inches
Still growing out layers...
CWC Method
Sorry about that, yes you do secure the ponytail with an elastic.

June 10th, 2005, 7:56 am #7

I'm about, oh two, years late replying to this, but better late than never, right? Just wanted to thank you for the instructions for this style. It's so easy to make! I've always wondered how people could make such perfect round buns, and now I can make them myself.

1aFii 32/33/35 Dallie's Hair Journal
Experimenting with CO and CWC.
Jojoba oil & aloe vera leave-in.

Fox

June 13th, 2005, 7:30 am #8

-Fox

Special thanks to Carlynn for my custom doll signature!
17/38.5/40+ Type 2CMii (3B underneath layer) Somewhat fine, slightly wavy (with curls on the underneath layer), Hennaed Auburn. F.L.A. Ranking, Colonel. To see more pictures, click on the gallery collection link found here:

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/ifoxbox/ForeverFox.html> Forever Fox </a>

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny." -John MacArthur

"Love makes you beautiful" - quote from my nephew at age 7

Products Used:

Ida's Shampoo Bars
Aubrey Organics S&C
Nature's Gate Conditioners
Vinegar/herbal rinses

Oils: Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Virgin Oil de Coco Creme, Monoi, Castor, Meadowfoam Seed & essential oils
Shea Butter (from which I make my own leave-in)

MP Popular Mix Brush and Pure BB brush
Wood and Horn combs
-Fox
Starting my growing journey all over again after health issues took a major toll on my hair.
17/25.5/35+ - Type 2C-3bMii Somewhat fine, wavy (with corkscrew curls on the underneath layer), natural color is light brown with gold and red highlights. Previously used henna for years, but had it highlighted out over a couple of years. Currently trying to decide what to do as far as continuing with that to keep up the roots or doing something different.

Products Used:
Aubrey Organics S&C - my most favorite, but currently using Neways Second Chance Shampoo, SheaMoisture's High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque,
Sally Beauty Generic Value Product's version of Matrix Biolage conditioner (as a leave in, not rinsed out)
Aubrey Organics Chia Gel
Vinegar/herbal rinses
Oils: Jojoba, Castor, Coconut & essential oils
MP Popular Mix Brush
MP & Madora wide tooth combs

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, they will become your character. Develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

Starfish
Starfish

March 8th, 2006, 9:34 pm #9

I tried that hairstyle and it looks great

Here is a picture that you can use in the description if you like!:

(p.s A sock in a similiar color as your hair is the best thing to use!)

marthe
marthe

March 10th, 2007, 1:11 pm #10

its so great ! the trick! its awesome...thanks a lot... greets from a german girl :-*

Bobbie Hudson-Penick
Bobbie Hudson-Penick

July 18th, 2007, 11:35 pm #11

I remember purchasing a puffy netted hair donut form that you can use to evenly spread your hair around.

There are also cigar-shaped forms that you are supposed to use to roll your hair up with.

These forms were usually sold in "hair" colors.

Don't know if they still sell them. But I think this is general concept you are using.

Janet

2a/n/ii
??/28.5/floor
Light Brown
www.Vermontcountrystore.com

The page & it is called a hair rat/ you order it in your color

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shop ... d=hair+bun

Hope this helps!

tasha
tasha

March 20th, 2008, 10:33 am #12

it was easy and it was clear

Confirmation of reply: