Day 1 of no 'poo routine

Day 1 of no 'poo routine

April 4th, 2012, 6:59 pm #1

Hey everyone! so im on the first really greasy day of the no 'poo routine, would have usually washed it yesterday if i was carrying on as normal so it really is quite horrible today. The last day i washed it was sunday. Last time i tried the no 'poo method i did it way too fast and my hair got unbearably greasy and sticky to the point where even baking soda was'nt helping at all, so this time i will stretch it out a little longer. I havnt experimented with hair bars or apple cider vinegar or anything like that before so hopefully this should be quite an interesting experiment. Im going to avoid baking soda as iv heard it can be quite drying on the hair, does anyone know if this is true?
so tonight im just going to do a water wash as i havnt bought any ACV or anything that might help just yet as im still reading up on things to see whats the best route to take.

Wish me luck! if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated as im improvising this at the moment!
thanks!
(i will also be taking pictures as i go along to show how my hair is reacting)

1bNii
7/18/As long as it will grow!
Re-growing since June 2011

Currently using Dr Oganic Olive oil shampoo and J/A/S/O/N Jojoba conditioner, and warm olive oil treatments every other week. Using BBB. Jojoba oil on length before and after washing.

21 years old.
U.K

--------------------------------------------
Those who say sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain...

The shadow behind us is most definately four footed - 'Women who run with the wolves'

April 4th, 2012, 7:25 pm #2

exclusively but just wanted to say that VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner is great for CO for me, it cleans almost as well as a shampoo. I used it just this a.m. My hair doesn't do 3rd day well but I do stretch my shampoos so I use CO to get by another day-and V05 Kiwi Lime is awesome.( I think it even helps get rid of greasies a little) I even have the squeak that I get after I shampoo, and my scalp tingles. I doubt I'd be able to use it exclusively but it works great for stretching washes.
YOu might like it for CO.(I use a heavier condtioner from the ears down)

Last edited by Babyfine2008 on April 4th, 2012, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2012, 9:10 pm #3

Hey everyone! so im on the first really greasy day of the no 'poo routine, would have usually washed it yesterday if i was carrying on as normal so it really is quite horrible today. The last day i washed it was sunday. Last time i tried the no 'poo method i did it way too fast and my hair got unbearably greasy and sticky to the point where even baking soda was'nt helping at all, so this time i will stretch it out a little longer. I havnt experimented with hair bars or apple cider vinegar or anything like that before so hopefully this should be quite an interesting experiment. Im going to avoid baking soda as iv heard it can be quite drying on the hair, does anyone know if this is true?
so tonight im just going to do a water wash as i havnt bought any ACV or anything that might help just yet as im still reading up on things to see whats the best route to take.

Wish me luck! if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated as im improvising this at the moment!
thanks!
(i will also be taking pictures as i go along to show how my hair is reacting)

1bNii

Currently using Dr Oganic Olive oil shampoo and J/A/S/O/N Jojoba conditioner, and warm olive oil treatments every other week. Using BBB. Jojoba oil on length before and after washing.

21 years old.
U.K

The shadow behind us is most definately four footed - 'Women who run with the wolves'
thank you for posting I'm very interested in any kind of no poo routine. So, you are trying Water Only?

Actually, regardless of what kind of non poo routine you are trying out, the crucial thing is going gradually. After you decide on what kind of alternative routine you'd like to adopt, you should know that easing slowly into it is the key to success. Training your scalp to produce less sebum is a slow process, but it can be done. I think you are doing well by stretching regular washes at first. You could stretch them a day or two the first weeks, and after your scalp gets used to that washing schedule, you can go ahead and stretch them more. Then you can start cutting down on the shampoo. Of course, I'm just suggesting Going cold turkey takes less time than taking it easy, but it also means that your scalp will have a harder time adjusting, and that will show on your hair as a whole. Because you had already tried that kind of approach, I'd suggest you try going gradual.

I'm aware that in the mean time, you'll have to cope with hair that is not used to less washing/less shampoo. So I'd recommend looking into ways to put your hair up and away from your face, and to generally make the state of your hair less noticeable. (Let's face it, a cute updo made with non-washed hair is much more socially acceptable than wearing that hair down and loose.)

Anyway, I think I have talked enough. I'm sorry if you had all this information, and if I repeated what you know already.

P.S. I'm sorry, I haven't tried baking soda, but it's really said that it can dry out hair. I'm no expert, but perhaps a light solution of baking soda won't dry your hair as much.

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

April 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm #4

exclusively but just wanted to say that VO5 Kiwi Lime conditioner is great for CO for me, it cleans almost as well as a shampoo. I used it just this a.m. My hair doesn't do 3rd day well but I do stretch my shampoos so I use CO to get by another day-and V05 Kiwi Lime is awesome.( I think it even helps get rid of greasies a little) I even have the squeak that I get after I shampoo, and my scalp tingles. I doubt I'd be able to use it exclusively but it works great for stretching washes.
YOu might like it for CO.(I use a heavier condtioner from the ears down)

ill give it a go but i have to be really carefull with conditioner because it makes my scalp really greasy quickly so ill try and keep it more on the length

1bNii

21 years old.
U.K

April 4th, 2012, 9:37 pm #5

thank you for posting I'm very interested in any kind of no poo routine. So, you are trying Water Only?

Actually, regardless of what kind of non poo routine you are trying out, the crucial thing is going gradually. After you decide on what kind of alternative routine you'd like to adopt, you should know that easing slowly into it is the key to success. Training your scalp to produce less sebum is a slow process, but it can be done. I think you are doing well by stretching regular washes at first. You could stretch them a day or two the first weeks, and after your scalp gets used to that washing schedule, you can go ahead and stretch them more. Then you can start cutting down on the shampoo. Of course, I'm just suggesting Going cold turkey takes less time than taking it easy, but it also means that your scalp will have a harder time adjusting, and that will show on your hair as a whole. Because you had already tried that kind of approach, I'd suggest you try going gradual.

I'm aware that in the mean time, you'll have to cope with hair that is not used to less washing/less shampoo. So I'd recommend looking into ways to put your hair up and away from your face, and to generally make the state of your hair less noticeable. (Let's face it, a cute updo made with non-washed hair is much more socially acceptable than wearing that hair down and loose.)

Anyway, I think I have talked enough. I'm sorry if you had all this information, and if I repeated what you know already.

P.S. I'm sorry, I haven't tried baking soda, but it's really said that it can dry out hair. I'm no expert, but perhaps a light solution of baking soda won't dry your hair as much.

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
what kind of approach to take to be honest! im going to see what happens along the way, i just did a water only wash and my hair feels very nice, but i know this wont work much longer the more greasy my hair gets so i think im going to alternate water only washes with a light shampoo for a while, i already wash my hair every third day or occasionally every other day (but it doesnt usually need it, only because im already in the shower and do it out of habit) so hopefully ill have a bit of a head start. Im going to aim to get shampoo washes down to once a week for a while, then every week and a half, then two weeks, maybe i can try going cold turkey after that, but we shall see! im going to get a really gentle shampoo, maybe a babies one, so that i dont need to use conditioner because it makes my hair greasy much quicker.

ill keep you updated, as soon as i notice differences in my hair ill upload pictures

1bNii

21 years old.
U.K

April 6th, 2012, 9:56 pm #6

That's a very moderate approach, and very likely to be successful I will be very interested in an update, whenever you do it.

Hair journal:

Routine:
- occasional S&D trims
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):

April 8th, 2012, 10:10 pm #7

what kind of approach to take to be honest! im going to see what happens along the way, i just did a water only wash and my hair feels very nice, but i know this wont work much longer the more greasy my hair gets so i think im going to alternate water only washes with a light shampoo for a while, i already wash my hair every third day or occasionally every other day (but it doesnt usually need it, only because im already in the shower and do it out of habit) so hopefully ill have a bit of a head start. Im going to aim to get shampoo washes down to once a week for a while, then every week and a half, then two weeks, maybe i can try going cold turkey after that, but we shall see! im going to get a really gentle shampoo, maybe a babies one, so that i dont need to use conditioner because it makes my hair greasy much quicker.

ill keep you updated, as soon as i notice differences in my hair ill upload pictures

1bNii

21 years old.
U.K

was okay for just one wash (and I only used a very small amount in lots of water) but if I tried to use it twice in a row it was very drying.

Egg wash/shampoo (there's a recipe here in the library) worked well for me although I left the oil out of my recipe. I still use eggs occasionally because they make my hair feel and look wonderful. Just a shame about the smell. (And essential oils didn't take the smell away except when I washed - when my hair was dry it still smelt like egg.)

I've gone back to using A'Kin shampoo once a week when I do a full wash and just use shampoo bars for when I do a scalp wash. I dilute my shampoo with chamomile tea 1:1 or a little bit more tea than shampoo. I don't like the way shampoo feels when I'm washing my hair but I like the shine and clean it gives me. Whether due to technique or hard water, I would find that after a time, the shampoo bars would leave a residue on my hair. I like what 'poo bars do for my hair - softness and ease of use - but not the fact that I often can't wear my hair down on the weekend due to it looking greasy. So I found a compromise that works for me. Perhaps when we finally get our shower in I might try 'poo bars again exclusively. But when it comes down to it, I want soft healthy hair that's clean and shiny too.

You might like to try to dilute your shampoo and over time gradually increase the amount of water or herbal tea that you add to it until you can eliminate shampoo altogether. I think I've read somewhere that this will work but it may take a lot longer than going cold turkey. Apparently many shampoos can be diluted up to 1 part 'poo to 7 parts water. I've managed to get to 4 parts water but that was with a gentle organic shampoo.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Oil lightly before washing with a mix of olive, coconut, avocado and almond oils. Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). A'kin conditioner on the ends when I feel it needs it.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; S&D when I think of it; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.)

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

Confirmation of reply: