Anyone else have problems

Anyone else have problems

May 22nd, 2012, 8:18 pm #1

with neck pain and headache??? I don't know if it's the hair or if something else is going on. I was just curious if anyone else suffers from these problems and what you've done to alleviate them (aside from chopping off the hair). Thanks !!!

1B,F,ii Auburn, strawberry blonde and white - natural color
Ojon damage restorative shampoo and conditioner
Kerastase Mask for fine hair twice a month
Kerastase Elixir Ultime
Mason Pearson Detangler comb

May 23rd, 2012, 5:13 pm #2

I have the same problem! Usually when my hair gets too thick it's more of a problem for me. Instead of getting my hair cut I usually get it thinned down. Most hair places have a tool that they can run through your hair and thin it down without taking the length off your hair.
It could also be the shampoo you are using. I used to use a shampoo that gave me terrible headaches and I finally had to stop using it. Try experimenting around with your shampoo and see if it helps.
These are just a few of the things that I know effect my headaches and what I've done to help with them. I hope it helps you as well!! Good luck!! Hope your headaches get better!!

~ DaisyDarlin

Hair Type: 1cNii

Main goal- lengthen, cut down on oil and tangles.

May 24th, 2012, 8:30 am #3

with neck pain and headache??? I don't know if it's the hair or if something else is going on. I was just curious if anyone else suffers from these problems and what you've done to alleviate them (aside from chopping off the hair). Thanks !!!

Kerastase Elixir Ultime
to bad posture - especially at the computer. Or stress.

I know there was a member here years ago who cut her hair because she thought it was causing headaches, and it turned out she still had headaches. It wasn't the hair at all. Unless your hair is very thick or you're wearing it so that it pulls on your neck, I would probably rule out hair and look elsewhere for answers. Although it wouldn't hurt to try different styles to see if it helps. Some styles do seem to put more drag on the hair which results in headaches, but once the style is undone, the headache usually goes.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Progress from June 2006 - January 2011

2a/M/ii
Mid-Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights; fringe/bangs.
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Current length: 33.5" (Cut back from 38.5" February 2011 following a massive shed.)
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with!

Current routine: Scalp wash every second to third day using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. Finish with acidic rinse (1 tsp ACV or lime juice to 1 to 2 cups of water or herbal tea). Full wash once a week using A'kin conditioner or an egg wash to cleanse the length and shampoo bars or A'kin shampoo on the scalp.
Other: Oiling when required with avocado and almond oil or shea butter; regular micro-trims; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

My Website

On Eagles' Wings (My Blog)

My Method for Scalp Washes

Hair Journey Began in June 2006 ...

Hair Type: 2a/M/ii
Hair Colour: Dark brown with natural red and silver highlights (more silver than red nowadays)
Starting length: 25"/62.5cm (BSL)
Initial Goal length: 36" (Tailbone)
Setback: Major shed in 2010 when at 38"
New Goal: Healthy hair that I'm happy with! (Preferably tailbone with thick hemline.

Current Routine
CWCA: C = condition the length with conditioner or shea butter; W = wash the scalp using diluted organic shampoo; Condition = small amount of conditioner on ends; A = acidic rinse, either ACV or citric acid; Frequency = once a week. In-between times, scalp washes as required.
Tips for super soft hair = Wash with Miracle Water. Finish up with LOC (Liquid = water; Oil = almond/olive/avocado oils; Cream = aloe vera gel)
Other: Regular micro-trims; light oiling on dry hair a few times a week; BBB; wooden comb; Mason Pearson comb; hair sticks, Flexi-8's, Ficcare, and other hair friendly toys.

'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfailing beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.' 1 Peter 3:3-4

May 24th, 2012, 4:57 pm #4

I appreciate that you took the time to answer my question. I think it's probably stress related or from too many hours at the computer. The last thing I would want to do is hack off my hair and still have the problems. That would not be a good thing. Take care and again, thanks !!!

May 24th, 2012, 7:11 pm #5

Kerastase Elixir Ultime
I get head and neck aches more from bad posture. I roll my neck and shoulders out then sit correctly, they are almost instantly gone.

My hair gives me a sore scalp as part of PMS. I take Midol and eat salty popcorn with M & M's and indulge in my lone soda of the month.

May 25th, 2012, 9:11 am #6

Kerastase Elixir Ultime
but I still wanted to say that pain in the neck and shoulder area is very, very rarely caused by hair. Hair is actually very light - an inch weighs about 50 micrograms. If you wish, you can read more about it in this article:

http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011 ... aches.html

The girls already gave sound advice. You could also check out your pillow. An inadequate/lumpy pillow that forces you in awkward positions during sleep can also cause pain. But I guess you already thought about it I'm glad that you concluded what is causing the pain, and I hope it will diminish soon, Duneseeker!

Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic
Primary goal: thickening the ends

Hair journal:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

Routine:
- NW/SO on the scalp, with periodical length
washes (Alverde birke-salbei shampoo for the length)
- brushing, scritching, preening and massaging daily
- occasional S&D trims
- trimming the ends whenever they start looking funny
Hair type: 2b/M/C/iii
Current length: classic+
Current goal: knee

Current routine:
~ alternating a NW/SO (no water/sebum only) routine with occasional washes. I use the techniques of NW/SO (brushing, scritching and preening) almost daily, but I do a shampoo wash every month or two.

Products and tools:
~ Alverde Birke-Salbei shampoo
~ occasionally oiling the ends with either coconut or almond oil; currently experimenting with argan oil
~ an assortment of BBBs
~ Tangle Teezer/Tangle Angel & wide-tooth comb
~ hair friendly hair toys, for putting up hair and forgetting about it

Hair journal (rarely updated nowadays):
http://www.network54.com/Forum/663765

May 25th, 2012, 9:18 am #7

Kerastase Elixir Ultime
I find that my hair bundled too tight on my head can make my head and even my jaw or neck ache... But sitting on it gives me a really quick, nasty headache...

1aFiii auburn (natural)

May 25th, 2012, 11:34 am #8

Kerastase Elixir Ultime
with a Ficcare Maximas. I have needed to move my updos to low buns when my scap is stressed. My hair is long and heavy so I am sure the weight causes some pressure/tension.

<font face="Dickens" size="2">
Angel Hugs and Love

Betty
20 1/2 ~ Waist ~ Growing
2c3aM/Cii/iii
Natural Blond
Golden Highlights
Bangs, One Length, Angle in Front</font>

May 25th, 2012, 3:17 pm #9

I really appreciate all of the imput. My pillows are really good ones so I know it's not that. I have a terrible habit of crunching up my one arm and sticking it between my two pillows. That sometimes produces screaming neck and shoulder pain in the morning - not to mention my hand is asleep and all tingly. I love the idea of the salty popcorn, M&Ms and soda ! I would think that those three things would make any ache and pain feel better. I might just have to toss some mac & cheese into the mix just as a good measure. All of you ladies are so great. Enjoy the long Memorial Day weekend !!! Hugs to all

Confirmation of reply: