Lion Inn campsite now closed

Lion Inn campsite now closed

The Lion Inn
The Lion Inn

May 13th, 2007, 9:16 pm #1

Due to the continuing lack of respect many campers are showing towards our property and other users we have finally decided to close The Lion Inn's campsite. We are sorry to the genuine people who have used this facility over the years and we thank you for your past custom.

This is not a decision we have taken lightly, but we have been monitoring the situation closely. Despite having our rules advertised on signs around the site and on the face of camping tickets, every week we have people remolishing our walls to make campfires (which are not even allowed), leaving huge amounts of litter, playing loud music and revving car engines in the middle of the night, setting off fireworks and this weekend even firing guns!

Enough is enough, the field is now closed to the public, with the exception of walkers on the Coast to Coast who should email us in advance at lion.blakey@virgin.net

Bob & Jean Matthews
Bob & Jean Matthews

May 14th, 2007, 12:52 pm #2

We are so sorry to hear of your decision to close the camp field, However we fully understand your reasons. We have visited The Lion for donkey's years and have witnessed at first hand the lack of respect for the facilities offered, the field sometimes resembles a run down back street frequented by yobs instead of the beautiful moorland that should remain untouched by these idiots. Unfortunately, shame is a concept that no longer exists and once again we, the majority are subjected to restrictions as a result of a mindless few.

Andy Mogg
Andy Mogg

May 17th, 2007, 2:55 pm #3

Really sorry to hear that, we were looking forward to a few nights camping in the summer!

Cheers

Andy

John Hold
John Hold

May 17th, 2007, 3:11 pm #4

I am sorry that some of the less desirable elements of society have taken this opportunity away from those of us that just love to be in a tent, at one with the elements but with the bonus of your excellent hospitality.

All the best and hope to see you again in the near future
John

Maria
Maria

May 17th, 2007, 3:37 pm #5

I am very sorry to hear that. That is a shame for the people who enjoy using the facilities. I hope it has the impact intended on those who have abused the service.

Maria Green

Jo
Jo

May 17th, 2007, 4:42 pm #6

Due to the continuing lack of respect many campers are showing towards our property and other users we have finally decided to close The Lion Inn's campsite. We are sorry to the genuine people who have used this facility over the years and we thank you for your past custom.

This is not a decision we have taken lightly, but we have been monitoring the situation closely. Despite having our rules advertised on signs around the site and on the face of camping tickets, every week we have people remolishing our walls to make campfires (which are not even allowed), leaving huge amounts of litter, playing loud music and revving car engines in the middle of the night, setting off fireworks and this weekend even firing guns!

Enough is enough, the field is now closed to the public, with the exception of walkers on the Coast to Coast who should email us in advance at lion.blakey@virgin.net
I am really sorry to hear of the closure as both my partner and I enjoyed camping at The Lion. We will continue to visit for the excellent food and atmosphere and only hope that it will be reconsidered in the future.

Regards

Jo Humble

Jon
Jon

May 17th, 2007, 7:42 pm #7

It is a shame that you have to close it - isn't there a way of taking a credit card deposit & then keeping it if people don't follow the rules ?

Or , cld you not reduce the number of large groups etc staying ?

There must be a way around this ?

Stephen Davis
Stephen Davis

May 17th, 2007, 8:54 pm #8

I am really sorry to hear of the closure as both my partner and I enjoyed camping at The Lion. We will continue to visit for the excellent food and atmosphere and only hope that it will be reconsidered in the future.

Regards

Jo Humble

Hi, sorry to hear that, we had some really good times camping there. I
guess from now on we'll have to sleep indoors when we come to visit.

The Lion Inn
The Lion Inn

May 18th, 2007, 10:53 am #9

It is a shame that you have to close it - isn't there a way of taking a credit card deposit & then keeping it if people don't follow the rules ?

Or , cld you not reduce the number of large groups etc staying ?

There must be a way around this ?
In reply to Jon's message:(It is a shame that you have to close it - isn't there a way of taking a credit card deposit & then keeping it if people don't follow the rules? Or , cld you not reduce the number of large groups etc staying? There must be a way around this ?)

Hi Jon, we appreciate your comments and suggestions and have considered these and many other options, but there are reasons why these won't work.

Firstly, a lot of people ignore the signs on the entrance to the field about getting permission to camp and buying tickets in the pub, they just drive in pitch up and don't bother paying. The only way this could be controlled is to have someone permanently situated on the gate for when people arrive, which is not viable. Therefore a credit card / deposit system wouldn't work. Also, how would we put a value on noise/litter/abuse/vandalism? How would we decide who the offenders were without controlling the site all night long? (the latest wild party peaked about 5am). How would we stop the offenders from leaving early in the morning before the site could be checked?

Regarding limiting large groups, generally if these people come in to buy tickets, they do so in smaller groups, so we can't tell they are part of a big crowd, and it's not necessarily the large groups that cause the worst trouble. Everyone seems fine when they check in and we don't want to be put in the position of having the decide who looks "decent" and who will abuse our property.

A couple of weeks ago some "quiet" campers did ask a group who were partying very late to quieten down and they were given a load of verbal abuse. What if this had escalated into a fight? We can't let this problem carry on.

Please note, (epecially the users at http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?si ... =529209638) that the closure was not the result of one incident or group, it is a situation that has got progressively worse over the years, but this year we have had complaints every weekend since the camping started.

There are some really great people who come and use the camping field, for example 2 lads from Middlesbrough came up last winter and spent several days rebuilding our stone walls, these have already been demolished by this years firestarters!

It is unfortunate for the majority of campers, and we are sorry, but this is our private property and our customers who are suffering the abuse. We don't have the desire or resources to patrol the field 24 hours a day as we are trying to run a busy pub and we need to concentrate on doing this.

Once again Jon, thanks very much for taking the time to comment.

Jayney
Jayney

May 20th, 2007, 12:02 pm #10

I am really sorry to hear that you having to make this discision, my friends and i been camping at Bank Holidays, weekends for over 7 years, whether been walking, biking or just come up for a lovely meal. I dont blame you though - unfortunately when a place gets good reputation for food, atmosphere - their is always someone who try to come and spoil it for everybody else. We will still come to the pub anyway, and wish you all the best for the future.