Job Advice

October 21st, 2017, 7:33 am #11

Not a Rooney thread but thought why not open this up to the collective wisdom of .org.

Basically, I have been offered a fantastic job. I did not apply for this job, I just received an email out of the blue, for some reason. Despite having the required attributes/technical ability, this is a very senior role that I simply don't have experience of doing.

My initial reaction was to be up front and say I'm underprepared for it but would love to talk to them about it. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and ruin such an opportunity but I can't pretend I could breeze into the job at the same time.

Help a .orger out, .org.

And no, it's not the Weinstein Company.
You’re clearly good at what it is you do to be approached.

I think asking for a meeting makes sense and then you can say you lack certain experience, and ask if they’ll be prepared to give the time and training.

October 21st, 2017, 8:16 am #12

Not a Rooney thread but thought why not open this up to the collective wisdom of .org.

Basically, I have been offered a fantastic job. I did not apply for this job, I just received an email out of the blue, for some reason. Despite having the required attributes/technical ability, this is a very senior role that I simply don't have experience of doing.

My initial reaction was to be up front and say I'm underprepared for it but would love to talk to them about it. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and ruin such an opportunity but I can't pretend I could breeze into the job at the same time.

Help a .orger out, .org.

I bet there are shitloads of brilliant people who don’t go for the best jobs because they’re aware of their shortcomings, while brash arrogant twats who think they know it all come over as massively confident and are then shit.

Just one quick check though chairman - are statistics involved in this job?

October 21st, 2017, 10:18 am #13

Help a .orger out, .org.

I forever seem to work along side others on a lower level than me. It annoys me, but I don't want the higher level. I jus wish everyone at my level would pick up the slack!

I wouldn't want to go at it off my own back, but if someone offered me the chance to step up, I would.

October 23rd, 2017, 5:24 pm #14

Help a .orger out, .org.

Cheers guys. Asked for a detailed job spec and to go over it with them.

Niall, yeah, the main issue is that all my work has been practical and part of a small-ish team. This job also involves all that (which I love doing) but also more administrative work as well and on a bigger scale. Basically, I'm scared of more responsibility and new processes and procedures etc.

Keith, it's actually chief statistician at Opta

October 23rd, 2017, 7:49 pm #15

Help a .orger out, .org.

I think that attitude will stand you in good stead though. You obviously recognise that this isn't to be taken lightly. You'll be fine, just make sure you've got a good support network in place, take advice from people who have been there before you and you'll be fine.

October 24th, 2017, 1:05 pm #16

Help a .orger out, .org.

congratulations mate.

If its a decent organisation they'll ask if you need any support in the role. This is something I always do when appointing new staff, even if they're coming in as managers as its always good to know what somebody needs support with before they start.

If they're not as good as me, try and sort a job mentor/coach out. I use one of these myself, somebody else from a different organisation who does a similar role to me but more senior. Its been a god send. I made a big step up earlier this year and felt a bit out of my depth, having somebody to discuss any issues with, ideas etc has been really good. I think you work in media right? When I worked in that field always thought there were plenty of people open to do that sort of thing, and know other people who benefitted from it.

Good luck but I wouldn't sell it as not being confident you can do it, but rather what support is there when you take it.

October 24th, 2017, 5:52 pm #17

Help a .orger out, .org.

Cheers Mart. Had a chat on the phone today and they were pretty cool when I told them I haven't got managerial experience. But it's a brand new position being set up so it's starting from the ground up, anyway.

Had a chat on the phone today and it went well enough to be asked in for a face-to-face meeting, anyway.

October 24th, 2017, 5:52 pm #18

Help a .orger out, .org.

Cheers Mart. Had a chat on the phone today and they were pretty cool when I told them I haven't got managerial experience. But it's a brand new position being set up so it's starting from the ground up, anyway.

Had a chat on the phone today and it went well enough to be asked in for a face-to-face meeting, anyway.

October 24th, 2017, 7:19 pm #19

Help a .orger out, .org.

Good luck.

October 25th, 2017, 10:23 am #20

Help a .orger out, .org.

ah if managerial experience is all your lacking I wouldn't worry about it. It's a kind of learning on the job situation anywayy, so you only learn by being thrown in at the deep end.

What I've found is that those I have recruited myself work out absolutely fine, where as those I haven't been involved in the recruitment of prove more difficult, I was handed over staff from another team who were fucking useless and I ended up having to get rid of them. That was particularly stressful, but learnt a lot from that process.

I think you'll be fine. Good luck with the interview.