Good books / authors

Good books / authors

January 2nd, 2017, 4:46 pm #1

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Currently reading: The Sellout - Paul Beatty

Read these before Christmas:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Sabbath's Theater - Philip Roth
Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
Especially interested in more female authors.

January 2nd, 2017, 5:53 pm #2

JK Rowling

January 2nd, 2017, 5:59 pm #3

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Ready- ... 0099560437

ready player one, by ernst cline

its sweet.
good nostaliga and future mix

speilbergs next big movie

January 2nd, 2017, 6:20 pm #4

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I'm enjoying Grayson Perry's 'Playing to the Gallery' at the moment. Very insightful writer.

January 2nd, 2017, 6:55 pm #5

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I finished The Count of Monte Cristo last week and it was absolutely excellent, the ultimate revenge tale.

Probably my favourite ever book is Shogun by James Clavell. Colonialist traders caught up in a power game with missionaries and warring clans. So fucking good, one of the reasons I'm so looking forward to seeing Silence tonight.

Both they two books are really big though.

My other favourites include:

Grapes of Wrath
Chronicles Vol 1 (Dylan's)
The Great War For Civlisation
A Tale of Two Cities
Malcolm X's autobiography
Crime and Punishment
Catch 22
If This Is A Man
Last Exit To Brooklyn
All The Light We Cannot See
Of Mice and Men
The Stand
The Outsider

Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy was really good if you're into thriller type books. Conn Igulden writes good historical fiction too.

January 2nd, 2017, 6:59 pm #6

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Sorry just saw you mentioned newer books!

Try The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen. As for female authors maybe worth checking out Zadie Smith and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

And just as much Murakami as you can. He's really a superb writer.

January 2nd, 2017, 7:38 pm #7

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Moravagine by Blaise Cendrars

January 2nd, 2017, 8:29 pm #8

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Alan Moore's novel Jerusalem is really good

The Devil All The Time or The Heavenly Table by Donald Ray Pollock are great too

January 2nd, 2017, 11:10 pm #9

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Second The Devil All The Time.

January 3rd, 2017, 2:00 am #10

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

It seems you're keen on fiction. But if you fancy 'self-help' then:

Feel the fear and do it anyway

The power of now

How to win friends and influence people

Mastery (Robert Greene. But George Leonard's is just as amazing).

The only reason I'm still a fuck-up is because I haven't practiced the exercises these books exercise. Maybe apart from HTWFAIP. I practice a little of that and it did wonders/made me feel awesome.

Who knew remembering people's names or being a good listener could be so effective.