Good books / authors

January 31st, 2017, 11:36 am #41

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Currently reading: The Sellout - Paul Beatty

Read these before Christmas:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Sabbath's Theater - Philip Roth
Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
Especially interested in more female authors.
Also, mobilism andhttp://ebook.bike/

March 9th, 2017, 6:52 pm #42

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
Any more recommendations? What's everyone reading now?

I've read the first three of Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan quartet - very enjoyable, great recommendation.

I've bought about 7 or 8 Murakami books. I thought A Wild Sheep Chase was great, Norwegian Wood up next.

Marlon James - The Book Of Night Women was a tough (brutal) read, but worth it.

J.M. Coetzee - Disgrace and The Life & Times Of Michael K were excellent, if pretty depresssing

March 9th, 2017, 7:14 pm #43

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've just finished Solar Bones by Mike McCormack. It's winning awards all over the place and for good reason. It's incredible.

Halfway through A Line Made by Walking by Sara Baume and it's really very good. I loved her first book too Spill Simmer Falter Wither.

March 9th, 2017, 9:40 pm #44

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Cheers, will look out for those. I bought A Little Life and A Girl Is A Half Formed Thing based on your post earlier in the thread, will hopefuly get to them soon

March 9th, 2017, 9:53 pm #45

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Highly recommend Midnight in Peking by Paul French. A

March 13th, 2017, 2:47 pm #46

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

One of my good friends has just had her first book published.. Highly recommended if you're into travelling/backpacking - hilarious read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Miss-a ... 1849539960

Would be interested on what you think if any of you get involved

Cheers

Nudge

March 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm #47

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Hey Nudges fella

Your mate Amy is a bit of alright and funny by the looks of it!

You think she's ready for a new expedition? perhaps a venture to the Southern Hemmosphere

..My balls

seriously, set up a date aye

March 14th, 2017, 6:21 am #48

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I'm hoping to be in South America at some point in the future so will check out that book, cheers!

Is she a hippy though? There's nothing worse than white cunts with dreadlocks boring you with their tales of travel.

March 15th, 2017, 9:10 am #49

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Nope, she's not a hippy. She's an absolute beaut

March 23rd, 2017, 8:20 pm #50

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Just finished Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders which is very good