Good books / authors

January 7th, 2017, 1:45 pm #31

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Currently reading: The Sellout - Paul Beatty

Read these before Christmas:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Sabbath's Theater - Philip Roth
Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
Especially interested in more female authors.
I just tried googling that Han King book, but it came back as 'no meats'

January 7th, 2017, 2:43 pm #32

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
Apologies, It's Han Kang... Not King..

x

January 8th, 2017, 9:54 am #33

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

A non-fiction book that may blow your mind (even the first chapter may blow your mind) is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Hurari.

It's a history of humankind, and not being the most sophisticated reader, this was only gonna work for me if was written in an easy to digest and gripping way. This is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapiens-Humank ... 1846558239

January 8th, 2017, 1:51 pm #34

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I'll try again,

I just tried googling that Han Kang book, but it came back as 'no meats'

January 8th, 2017, 3:22 pm #35

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Also recommend The Vegetarian.

Other than that, female wise, that I've read and liked in the last year or so.

Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan novels. They're just very, very good.
Lena Andersson - Wilful Disregard, loved this. It made me re-read The Outsider, as it's referenced, but the style's similarly detached, if that helps.
Elizabeth Smart - By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept. Doesn't really fit the new-ish author brief, but it's really beautiful.
Sofi Oksanen - Purge.
Zadie Smith - N-W
Gwendoline Riley - Opposed Positions

Also enjoyed Eileen, although felt the thriller element was sort of tagged on and unnecessary.

-

January 8th, 2017, 7:26 pm #36

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Second that Ferrante recommendation. I'm currently reading the second book and it's incredibly good.

Also, My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout is brilliant too.

January 10th, 2017, 1:21 pm #37

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Just found The Vegetarian in a charity shop - result!

January 30th, 2017, 9:44 pm #38

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I enjoyed The Vegetarian a lot. I also managed to pick up Kafka On The Shore (and a couple more Murakami books) and Purge. I've made a list on my phone for when I go in a decent charity shop

Recently read Carter Beats The Devil, The Reader and Our Man In Havana.

January 31st, 2017, 12:00 am #39

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Young Skins by Colin Barrett. Like Dubliners by Joyce, but with drug dealers and horses.

January 31st, 2017, 11:06 am #40

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Massive ebook site (free)

http://bookzz.org

I use Aldiko reader for droid phones.