Good books / authors

January 3rd, 2017, 10:00 am #11

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Currently reading: The Sellout - Paul Beatty

Read these before Christmas:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Sabbath's Theater - Philip Roth
Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
Especially interested in more female authors.
Six Four - Hideo Yokoyama
Shantaram/Mountain Shadow
Anything by Murakami

January 3rd, 2017, 10:14 am #12

My new year's resolution is to read more books. In the last 7/8 years I've probably literally only read about 10 novels. Dipped into plenty of music books, but really want to expand my reading a bit

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I've read all the obvious ones you read in your teens / twenties like Catch 22, 1984, etc.. I tend to like Martin Amis, Paul Auster, Philip Roth, Hubert Selby Jr but looking to discover some newer writers.
Few books I enjoyed last year

For funny, easy reading, give anything by Magnus Mills a go. Read all of his over the year, my favourite was All Quiet on the Orient Express
Robert Harris - Archangel
Steinbeck - East of Eden
Len Deighton - SS-GB
Bit obvious but I did like The Girl On The Train, again nice and easy for a commute

January 3rd, 2017, 1:14 pm #13

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Anathem by Neal Stephenson

January 3rd, 2017, 1:44 pm #14

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I love Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books.

January 3rd, 2017, 2:11 pm #15

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-5cApzDUXQ

January 3rd, 2017, 3:10 pm #16

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Condominium by Daniel Falatko

January 3rd, 2017, 3:28 pm #17

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I took a look at that Alan Moore but it's a tad hefty - more words than the bible isn't it?

January 5th, 2017, 10:53 am #18

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Yes to Murakami, any and all of his stuff really, Wind-Up Bird is his most famous and for good reason.

As for female writers, Eimear McBride's two books 'a girl is a half formed thing' and 'the lesser bohemians' are both excellent, her style takes some getting used to but it is worth it.

Would also recommend A Little Life, its as good as everyone has said and also The Vegetarian by Han Kang.

January 5th, 2017, 12:06 pm #19

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

Also, hello to all the old faces on here. I recognise some log ins, haven't been around here in ages. Seeing as this is a reading thread, I will shamelessly plug a new short story I had published the other day.

https://thefictionpool.com/2017/01/03/s ... id-oneill/

January 5th, 2017, 1:45 pm #20

Recommendations please

Eileen - Ottess Moshfegh

I second Eimear McBride as a good female author. A Girl is A Half Formed Thing blew my mind. Genuinely one of the most powerful books I've read.
Looking forward to reading her second novel soon.