Warner Archives releases THE WARRIORS (1955)

Historical spectacles from the past, with or without a cast of thousands. (Non euro-produced; posts on those go in our The Euro-Cult Adventure Film Society folder, Europe section.)

Warner Archives releases THE WARRIORS (1955)

Jobla
Jobla

July 2nd, 2014, 4:07 pm #1

In July of 2014, the Warner Archives MOD program has just released this final Errol Flynn costume epic film, the medieval drama THE WARRIORS (1955).  I haven't seen the DVD-R yet, but Warner promises the original CinemaScope aspect ratio of 2:55-1.  They don't mention if it's anamorphic or not.
I saw a poor-quality boot of the film a few years ago, and found it to be pretty entertaining for those who like Warner's mid-fifties widescreen epics such as HELEN OF TROY, LAND OF THE PHARAOHS, and KING RICHARD AND THE CRUSADERS.  
Last edited by Jobla on July 2nd, 2014, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Latarnia
Latarnia

July 2nd, 2014, 4:55 pm #2

I think I may have seen this on TCM years ago. Yes, not bad at all.

Mirek

Koukol
Koukol

July 2nd, 2014, 8:18 pm #3

War  iorrs...come out and play e ay!

Jobla
Jobla

July 2nd, 2014, 9:42 pm #4

I think that THE WARRIORS is actually an Allied Artists picture, but Warner owns it now. I'm assuming that the print that aired once on TCM is probably the master that was used to strike the MOD. I've ordered a copy for myself.

Jobla
Jobla

July 8th, 2014, 4:43 pm #5

The disc has a very nice anamorphic transfer of the film, and the color is better than Warner's own HELEN OF TROY (1955).

Someone online stated that Christopher Lee has a brief swordfight with Flynn, and that Lee has been quoted as saying that his pinkie was never the same after appearing in THE WARRIORS in a small role.