Train to Busan

Jago Turner
Jago Turner

December 30th, 2016, 6:00 pm #1

And the award for best horror film of the year goes to... An incredibly refreshing and emotionally satisfying zombie film. Something so energetic and visually innovative in a genre that I really thought had been done to death. How, somehow, a film can come along and keep me on the edge of my seat for two hours and deliver an amazing emotional punch I don't quite know but Train to Busan, from director Yeon Sang-ho, managed it.
I'm happy that this film has been noticed and given distribution internationally because so many great Asian films do get buried now it's no longer fashionable to admire them. Train to Busan will have its detractors of course. Those who don't like emotional exploitation will not like this. I was definitely on my second hanky by the end. How the immediacy of death will make some people selfish and some people self sacrificing is one of the great themes of the cinema and this horror film examines this better than any war or disaster film in recent memory. A truly great piece of work and I hope that people go and see the original and not the inevitable Hollywood remake.  

Latarnia
Latarnia

December 31st, 2016, 1:38 pm #2

Another one to see! Sounds great, Jago.

Mirek