New Doctor Who

The world of spaceships, outer space wonder, and strange beings from other planets.
Howling Beast
Howling Beast

July 27th, 2017, 3:14 am #151

Jago Turner wrote: The saddest aspect of this is that all opposition to the casting has been seized upon to represent some kind of sad old geezer mentality instead of simply misconceived and pandering to a growing need for diversity at the expense of sane decisions. I think we knew it was coming as soon as The Master was reincarnated as Missy. I shouldn't really care about this kind of thing as I am definitely living in the past now. I am old and I probably am a sad old geezer but I don't think this is why I feel a gnawing sense of sadness at this. If I believed that there was a solidly good reason for this decision, one that somehow fit into the continuity of the series as a whole I would buy it completely. I kind of wish that instead of doing his they had given Romana a role in the series or brought back the Doctor's daughter (or his grand-daughter) and created a spin off based upon this that would have been as refreshing as the Mary Jane Adventures. But that it suddenly became a thing that to appease a particular demographic none of these would be enough. Dr Who had to have a sex change.

But this is the world we are living in. My son is grown up now. He already stopped watching the series about two seasons ago. I should have stopped watching as soon as he did. Not because we are watching a female timelord (there have been others). Neither do I mind sex changing characters. I always loved Orlando and last year's Your Name played on this idea beautifully. But I guess some people don't get how a character that has been there for fifty years can't change so easily. It's similar to the way some suggest a female James Bond as if there haven't already been female variations on James Bond from Modesty Blaise to Sydney Bristow. Instead of making a female Captain of the Enterprise they make James Kirk female or that instead of making a great female detective (and they've done many) they make Sherlock Holmes female. There's nothing to stop them making another character who has similar qualities. It's the idea that a character could be so amorphous that it simply doesn't matter what sex they are.

Ironically, while paying this lip-service to feminism, the BBC, who produce Dr Who, have been rocked with controversy over the bizarre pay gap between male and female talent. They have been routinely paying women less than men and this emerges one week after Dr Who is announced to be a woman. Some cynical folk might draw a conclusion from this that shows the BBC in a slightly less progressive light.
All great points. I'm just fed up with the rampant political correctness in the series.  I think back to John Barrowman's really fun LGBT character Captain Jack Harkness and it makes me think at how pathetic the production decisions and writing have become. With Barrowman, the fact that he was bisexual was just one piece of his character. It wasn't the only focus and he was such a likable, fun and interesting character. Now we get Pearl Mackey's Bill character, where we literally know nothing about her other than the fact that she is a lesbian. And they have to make sure to remind everyone in every single episode this season. It makes me laugh at some of the things I read online about how she's the greatest companion ever. She was the absolute worst, and not because Mackey wasn't a good actress or likable, but because the writing was so bad and seemed to only focus on her sexuality. Did anyone feel "touched" with the last episode when she finally got to kiss and leave with the wet girl she knew for literally 10 minutes at the beginning of the season? It's really just silly stuff. Now the Doctor as a girl. I'm really wishing I had bailed out a while ago as well. Honestly, it hasn't been really interesting since David Tennant. I see Moffett as mainly to blame for all of this, but boo to the BBC as well.

Jago Turner
Jago Turner

July 27th, 2017, 8:17 am #152

We have a slightly different view of this. I feel that, in some ways, Moffat hit moments of total genius and reinstated the notion that Dr Who could be a genuinely frightening show. I also feel that Capaldi was the best cast Doctor since Tom Baker. I just think that we are living in an age where it isn't enough to live in a multi-ethnic and multi-sexual world but where observance of this must be worn on the sleeve and shoehorned into stories and announced over and over again. The original introduction of Captain Jack's sexuality was refreshing (and in an episode written by Moffat) but in many other respects I found Davies' reboot of the show too much indebted to modern Hollywood and too little indebted to the older and more darkly humorous British pessimistic view of the universe. I was never really on board with David Tennant's overly emotional and mugging performance as the Doctor (how many times does he say "I'm so sorry" with big hurt eyes) and was much happier with Matt Smith's channelling of Troughton and Capaldi's amazingly disgruntled time-lord. It's just a shame that, especially over the last series, there have been so many attempts to yell at the viewer "look how progressive we are... Look our Roman legions are half black and our Victorian London looks like modern London in its ethnic make up and look at how our main secondary character is both black and a lesbian". None of these things would have been bad if they had just been in the background but they couldn't be left in the background because we live in an age where progressive ideals have destroyed good storytelling.

When I saw that Dr Who had been changed into a woman I just felt a sense of "here we go again" instead of "that could be interesting" which had they done that in 1975 I might well have done. Why now? Why after fifty years? Why in a time when progressivism has stopped being a positive and started feeling a bit negative? It is so clear that this is not a decision based on creativity and breaking barriers so much as a way of playing PC one-upmanship.

Howling Beast
Howling Beast

August 19th, 2017, 11:17 pm #153

Well said. I'm probably being overly negative towards Moffat, as I associate some of the shows decline to being during his tenure. You're correct that he wrote some good episodes. I'm also a big fan of Capaldi and Matt Smith. I think they were both terrific Doctors stuck in some really clunky episodes (not all, but enough to be noticeable). I think my interest in Tennant relates to the fact that he's the first Doctor I saw upon my reintroduction to the show (I didn't see the Eccleston episodes until later). Tennant was just so different than any of the previous Doctors and I thought he was a fun Doctor for a modern era. With that being said, I never really cared that much for the Rose Tyler fetish he had.

Jago Turner
Jago Turner

August 20th, 2017, 10:12 am #154

Yes. That was always a little creepy. Like your alien grandad having a crush on your schoolfriends. Wrong wrong wrong.