MAE NARK PRAKANONG Old Vintage Classic Asian Thai Horror 1959

Horror and Fantasy from Thailand.
todmichel
todmichel

January 24th, 2014, 1:47 pm #11

So we can only hope for some isolated "miracles" concocted by true fans, who find rare old VHS, numerize it, then adds fansubs. It can be illegal but I don't care, as long it's the only way to watch these movies. Moreover, if some current Thai distributor could put his hands on an old print of S. Narawaj's "Krasue sao" (Ghost of Guts Eater), 1973, the resulting VCD (or even DVD) would be propbably cropped on the sides... Thanks to Internet I got a wide-screen DVD, made from a Swedish VHS (I think) and with English subs above the Swedish ones. Probably the best I'll ever see, and very watchable in fact.

Similarly, another real fan took several sources and re-constructed a fully uncut version of Jun Raquiza's "Zuma" (Philippines, 1985), and added English subs. He is presently working on another Asian movie.

jnfernal
jnfernal

October 12th, 2015, 1:35 pm #12

Moreover, if some current Thai distributor could put his hands on an old
print of S. Narawaj's "Krasue sao" (Ghost of Guts Eater), 1973, the
resulting VCD (or even DVD) would be propbably cropped on the sides...
This movie has been recentely restored by the Museum of Cinema in Bangkok....I was there last january and they screened the restored version several times at their own cinema. And I know they released a limited DVD print (I guess it's a pro-DVDr) which was available only at their inner shop or by request. I've seen other movies restored by the Museum of Cinema and the packaging looks great (reproduction of original poster, notes) but I didn't purchased them as they were mostly dramas or comedy. With the "Ghosts of Guts Eater" they started to restore also some fantastic movies. There were other titles shot during my stay in Bangkok, in particular there were 2-3 horror and action of the late 70's/early 80's but I can't remember what
It seems there is a SLIGHT interest in recovering and restoring old movies in thailand. The first volume of the encyclopedia of thai cinema (covering the whole production from 1930 to 1954) was printed last year. Despite it was in thai only, despite many movies were listed without many information (as they were lost or unavailable), despite it's printed on poor quality paper and the price was quite high (50 US$ more or less, if I remember well...if not even more) it seems the people involved in the Museum are making a desperate but honorable job. It seems there is also a school to train young generation to the preservation, hunting, restoring and promoting the old movies. Those screenings got quite a positive responde
This does not necessarily means there will be commercially available DVD edition on the market...as you've seen, those movies were available only on DVDr (apparentely, but I guess so, due to the very limited/on demand quantity pressed) and are mostly intended for a very, very, very limited audience.
As I said more times in the past, I haven't talked or found asian companies interested in such DVD projects if the quantity is inferior to 5000.....
but at least, Thailand is showing some reactivated interest in rediscovering its movie history.
I will be there on january and see what happened during the last year

bakeneko
bakeneko

October 12th, 2015, 6:42 pm #13

That's interesting! Expecting further details.

jnfernal
jnfernal

January 19th, 2016, 4:44 pm #14

I'll be in Bangkok around early February...if there's something new, I'll let you know. Expecially about a DVD(r?) remastered edition of "Ghost of Guts Eater"

superfuzz
superfuzz

February 15th, 2017, 12:12 am #15

In Japanese films, The Japanese studios always made sure to compose theme music on all their films. Chinese, Thai, Korean studios always incorpated foreign themes into their films. And did not pay residiuals to the artistss. they just blantly stole music from movies like Rocky, Jaws, or whatever they wanted.

Jago Turner
Jago Turner

February 15th, 2017, 3:57 pm #16

Probably because they felt, at the time, that nobody outside Thailand would ever want to see their films. I think it is the very remoteness of Thai cinema pre-mid nineties that gives it such a distinct flavour. There really is nothing quite like Thai horror.