luisj40
luisj40

1:05 AM - Jan 07, 2011 #11

paura nella wrote: I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN review
From The New York Times January 30, 1958:
"If you discount any immediate connection between the mass media and the temper of the culture, then the film warrants little attention ... the automaton, enacted by Gary Conway, is a teen-ager assemble from the limbs of other teenagers. This is, in one sense, abhorrent. It forces one to acknowledge the impression that such films may aggravate the mass social sickness euphemistically termed "juvenile delinquency." ...In this particular film, there are graphic displays of human dismemberment. Before one such act of surgical perversion, the mad doctor's assistant says, "I have no stomach for it." That would be a plausible reaction for any adult who had read the day's headlines about teen-age crime."
This film was a real threat to the moral fiber of the good ole US of A back in the caveman times...I mean 1950's. now it’s just a harmless sappy-like horror flick.
Luis

bdc
bdc

8:59 AM - Jan 07, 2011 #12

Strange that How to Make a Monster is available and these are not...
I do have both on vhs.

Last edited by bdc on 9:06 AM - Jan 07, 2011, edited 2 times in total.

paura nella
paura nella

2:24 PM - Jan 07, 2011 #13

luisj40 wrote:
paura nella wrote:
I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN review
"If you discount any immediate connection between the mass media and the temper of the culture, then the film warrants little attention ... the automaton, enacted by Gary Conway, is a teen-ager assemble from the limbs of other teenagers. This is, in one sense, abhorrent. It forces one to acknowledge the impression that such films may aggravate the mass social sickness euphemistically termed "juvenile delinquency." ...In this particular film, there are graphic displays of human dismemberment. Before one such act of surgical perversion, the mad doctor's assistant says, "I have no stomach for it." That would be a plausible reaction for any adult who had read the day's headlines about teen-age crime."
This film was a real threat to the moral fiber of the good ole US of A back in the caveman times...I mean 1950's. now it’s just a harmless sappy-like horror flick.
I actually found the review tro be quite interesting, considering it was written over 50 years ago, and it makes me more interested in seeing this film now in a differnt light. It ccertainlyy has brought to my attention there this may actually be a work of art for its time, and not just some quicky low grade laughable B explotiation flick it is remembered as today...

Ted Newsom
Ted Newsom

10:31 PM - Jan 07, 2011 #14

It probably is all of those things... but by accident.

paura nella
paura nella

11:57 PM - Jan 07, 2011 #15

Ted Newsom wrote: It probably is all of those things... but by accident.
Why would you say that Ted? I mean, I think about some of the things in the film, and it mkes sense. And just because it was low budget sckloc being cranked out doesn't mean there wasn't som intellegent though being put into the film. I mean, look at some the Naschy films, or even Bava! And the original Invasion of the Body Snacthers! Space Weeds taken over the planet! Anyone who has ever done landscaping know that weeds tend to assimualte into gardens and slowly take over.

luisj40
luisj40

11:10 PM - Jan 11, 2011 #16

bdc wrote:
Strange that How to Make a Monster is available and these are not...

I do have both on vhs.

Luckily Susan Hart doesn't own the rights to HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER and most of the other AIP films that either belong to Samuel Z. Arkoff Estate or MGM at least most of those have been released on DVD or have a chance for a future release.  
Luis

Ted Newsom
Ted Newsom

1:14 AM - Jan 16, 2011 #17

Why would you say that Ted? I mean, I think about some of the things in the film, and it mkes sense. And just because it was low budget sckloc being cranked out doesn't mean there wasn't som intellegent though being put into the film.
It's artless, made by a coupla hacks-- the producer, director and the writer.  It's a by the numbers melodrama, poorly thought-out and constructed, with ludicrous logic lapses and no insight whatsoever into the tenor of the times.  Heck, in FRANKENSTEIN there isn't even a John Ashley rock song!  Herman Cohen fancied himself some sort of expert on what "the kids" like, so there was always a younger man (or, in one solitary lesbian-oriented case, a young woman) under the domination of an older man, to whom the youngster's will was bent.  Bent being the operative word.  Hell, it's even true with KONGA! 
But that's not insight as to "that the kids want."  I don't know of one kid who dreamed of the day his will would be bent by hypnosis, drugs or whatever so he could secretly do nasty things for the older man who runs his life.  That is a fantasy of a different color.
Compare that to any of the teen angst/JD movies of the time, like BLACKBOARD JUNGLE.  Or TAMMY, on the other end of the scale.  WEST SIDE STORY.  Or in another era, the films of John Hughes.
That doesn't mean as a cinema antique it does not represent the type of movies people attended, and provide a lot of risible entertainment even today.  It does, in spades. I love it.

HombreLobo44
HombreLobo44

11:12 AM - Jan 19, 2011 #18

This thread inspired me to dih up my HD TV rip of the film from that dark site we...oh f*ck it you know what I mean. I ran the file through DVD Flick and just finished up watching the disc. Then to my dismay I realized that I had grabbed the ifrst up of this which has a ton of interlacing issues and they showed up big time throughout. A shame as the quality of this HD broadcast is nice. So I am off to that place to grab the second up which supposedly corrected the interlacing issues. Love Teenage Werewolf. A classic. Michael Landon did a wonderful job as the emo lad. Loved the makeup too. A shame this not available yet on DVD.
    CEO of The Azucena Hernandez Appreciation Society of America.

HombreLobo44
HombreLobo44

10:36 PM - Apr 10, 2011 #19

paura nella wrote:I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN review
That is too funny! Makes me long for a time machine. I watched Blood of Dracula on AMC this past Saturday night and probably for the first time ever. Damn I enjoyed myself! The chicks were hot, the makeup cheesy good. I wonder if that dvd double bill is still available. What a Saturday night pleasure it would be to show all of these teen monster flicks in a row. Throw in ample amounts of popcorn, Coke, and your pharmaceutical of choice (just kidding.) and volia`! I have seen 12" figures now available for all of these films and really wish that I could add them to my collection. Alas they are terribly expensive.
    CEO of The Azucena Hernandez Appreciation Society of America.

luisj40
luisj40

9:35 PM - Apr 11, 2011 #20

I was watching GORP (a MEATBALLS copycat film) the other day and they show clips of I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF where Michael Landon as a werewolf attacks the gymnast.
Luis