CAT PEOPLE deleted scene ?

JeanAlain
JeanAlain

5:15 AM - Feb 18, 2017 #1

I already asked the question in the CHFB : 

I've read (In several French books & mags) the claim that "one of his most beautiful sequences" of the Lewton-Tourneur classic "Cat People" was excised from the film's final release: the nocturnal meeting of cat-women in the museum. 

But I've never found any evidence that this was ever filmed. There are no such scene in the shooting script... Was the whole story just a myth? If so, where did this rumor begin?

John Bernhard
John Bernhard

6:52 PM - Feb 19, 2017 #2

I just read an old 'making of' article from 1981 that makes no mention of it

( although does mention after previews they decided they needed to film & add some shots of the panther in a scene ).
First I have ever heard if it myself.

If it's not in the shooting script it seems it might be more like a myth....

There was a scene deleted from the 1982 remake where Irena meets her half panther mother, which sort of fits what your are describing.
https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

JeanAlain
JeanAlain

1:26 PM - Feb 20, 2017 #3

As far I know, the claim was made first by the Occult author Serge Hutin in 1959, then by the "Midi-Minuit Fantastique" magazine founder Michel Caen in 1962, and subsequently repeated in various French books as late as 2010. Perhaps it was made earlier, in old Surrealists mags for instance; I still have to dig them.

I wonder if it was just a hoax, misremembering, or misunderstood based on a previous draft of the script (who was intended as an adaptation of Algernon Blackwood's tale "Ancient Sorceries", until Tourneur decided to opt instead for a more familiar decor)...